PDA

View Full Version : Holistic approach to treating depression: Update

limewave
08-07-2007, 04:02 AM
Taking the good advice of Knottedyet, I found a great holistic doctor near where I work. I couldn't schedule an appointment without first attending one of his monthly seminars--which was last night.

The seminar was "Nutrition and Training for Champions." Wow, was it amazing. Apparently this doctor is friends with the Discovery Channel Team's nutritionist. So he talked alot about what they eat and how they train. It was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. It was a little overwhelming, but the main points I'm taking home with me for now is to eat a lot more vegetables and don't drink anymore soda--ever.

I finally got my appointment scheduled for a couple of weeks. I'm getting pumped to try some new ways to manage my depression.

Today I plan on signing up for Lifestyle Counseling through their office. They cover everything from nutrition/fitness/occupation/personal life etc. They even take you grocery shopping and give you cooking lessons! I'm really excited.

I appreciate everyone's advice! Thanks!

KnottedYet
08-07-2007, 05:36 AM
I need someone to take me grocery shopping... (and pay the bill, hee hee!)

Why no soda? Sounds like you found a cool doc.

Limewave, I still have those Ariat boots I meant to mail to you... ummmm, last year... :o

I will mail them soon, really, probably, I hope!

:eek:

LBTC
08-07-2007, 05:41 AM
limewave, sounds like you scored! Keep us posted on the results!

(when he said no soda - did he say anything about carbonated mineral water?)

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

spokewench
08-07-2007, 07:47 AM
I think it is more either all the syrup, fake sugar, in soda, not the carbonation.

michelem
08-07-2007, 08:05 AM
In addition to Spokewench's assumptions (sugar/syrup in reg. sodas and fake sweeteners in diet sodas - bad, bad, bad!!!), I would add my own assumption of the phosphorous and caffeine - both of which leach calcium from the bones and contribute to bone loss (at least, that's what my nutritionist told me!).

Fill us in, Limewave! :)

Eden
08-07-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm betting michelem has got it with the calcuim leaching properties of soda - pro cyclists even men can start having problems with osteoporosis, so avoiding something that will make it more likely is imperative.

KnottedYet
08-07-2007, 09:38 PM
but, but, I *love* caffeine and phosphoric acid!! They are my friends!

(especially when i have a bad gut. Do the osteoporosis gods turn a blind eye to the medicinal uses of Coca Cola?):o

Duck on Wheels
08-08-2007, 01:27 AM
... I'm getting pumped to try some new ways to manage my depression.

Today I plan on signing up for Lifestyle Counseling through their office. They cover everything from nutrition/fitness/occupation/personal life etc. They even take you grocery shopping and give you cooking lessons! I'm really excited.

I appreciate everyone's advice! Thanks!

Hey, it's working already! :p

Torrilin
08-08-2007, 07:47 AM
but, but, I *love* caffeine and phosphoric acid!! They are my friends!

(especially when i have a bad gut. Do the osteoporosis gods turn a blind eye to the medicinal uses of Coca Cola?):o

Don't think so. Which sucks, since I need caffeine as my asthma rescue drug... and Coke is easier to deal with than coffee. So I try not to get into asthma trouble by taking my medication. OTOH, I shouldn't have Coke most of the time. I don't need the sugar. So I try not to drink it except as a maybe once a week treat, and I mostly suceed.

Chocolate milk, plain milk, cheese... *those* are all allowed and get me calcium. And I like 'em.

KnottedYet
08-08-2007, 09:25 PM
I should've mentioned that sugar is also my friend.

The more refined, the better! ;)

I like hanging out with refined society....

:D

Torrilin
08-09-2007, 03:54 AM
Sugar tastes good, and at the right time is *definitely* my friend. But too much is not good for me :).