PDA

View Full Version : My first race!

Twice Daily
10-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Okay, so I have finally talked myself into doing a race...a locally held cyclocross race this Sunday...

I feel ready physically and I'm just doing the beginning women's race, but mentally I'm a wreck!!! My boyfriend used to race MTB professionally and keeps telling me to focus on just finishing the race, but I'm super nervous...

Anybody else experience pre-race jitters? What do you do?

pedalfaster
10-05-2004, 04:36 PM
A few simple things:

Get your good-night's sleep the night before the night-before, just in case you get so nervous/excited that you can't sleep.

Pack all of your gear the night before. If you don't have a race-list (shoes, helmet, glasses, gloves etc etc) in your head, write one on paper. Checking stuff off the list can be very calming.

Make all changes to your bike/gear NOW, not the night before a race.

Don't forget food/water and dry/warm clothing for after the race.

The morning of the race, double check for helmet, shoes and your front wheel. Those are three critical items that sometimes get left behind (seriously!).

Try to get to the race site at least an hour before start time (more if you are slow to warm up). You want to register, and still have time to change, hit the port-o-johns, and warm up (most 'cross races are short--under and hour--so you'll probably want a short-but-intense warm-up). If you don't think there will be a good spot for warm-up riding, consider taking your trainer.

You've probably heard all of this stuff from your SO, but sometimes it's nice to get a second opinion.

Feeling prepared will help you focus on the race. Other than that just try to accept the fact that the pre-race jitters are a
good thing. It means you are excited and pumped up and ready to race.

Have fun!!!

:)

Twice Daily
10-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Thank you! I finished the race and feel good about it! (I wrote a little about it in "the patting ourselves on the back" thread in the open topic forum).

I packed everything the night before which let me concentrate on eating and relaxing in the morning. That was great advice!

han-grrl
10-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey There

i just did my first cyclocross race two weekends ago. it ROCKED! i race XC mtb usually, so this was a definite change. i had so much fun!

some of my tips for racing:

don't try new food the day of the race...that new power gel may look tempting, but sometimes people have odd reactions...

carry minimal gear for cyclocross, if you have a mechanical you are pretty much done since it is such a short race. i didn't even carry water.

focus on BREATHING!!! you would be amazed how when you feel so tense you forget!

the cyclocross race is short and FAST that means use your strong areas to make up time...i am slower on climbs, but i am strong on descents, so i made up a lot of time by hammering through descents rather than coasting.

remember its YOUR RIDE! who cares what is going on around you. have fun and enjoy...