PDA

View Full Version : Open Water Swim Issues Updates

silver
08-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi gals with open water swim issues........how's it going?

My open water swims are going so much better now. Yeah! I've just been plodding forward all summer and finally this past week I've felt stronger and more confident. I'm swimming twice as far (30 minutes at a time versus forcing myself to get through 10 minutes earlier this summer) I'm probably not any faster but, as long as I'm not having panic attacks I'm happy.

How are you doing? and what's helped you?

Kimmyt
08-02-2007, 05:37 PM
I've attended a few OWS practices. The first was very helpful. It was a very introductory OWS, geared towards the beginner triathlete. We did a few smaller swims and the first one felt shaky for me again, I had to tread a few times, but the second one was much better. By the third time i'd totally figured a way to breathe and site while keeping a good rhythm. I did the 1/2 mile swim and felt great and did the whole thing wtihout stopping once. Then did the same thing over, so I was really happy.

Went to another OWS and went right in and felt good in the water, though my stamina felt a bit off from not taking my pool swims recently since they stopped the Masters. Well, at least I figured out my siting/breathing, and I think next time for a tri I've figured that if possible a bit of an in-water warmup really helps me feel calmer come start time.

Good job on your accomplishments, silver! Isn't it nice to see improvement?? :D

rocknrollgirl
08-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Well, mine are going swimmingly...ha ha....the swim has turned out to be a stronger leg for me than the run. Go figure.

Now the DH did his first xterra with me last Sunday. He has been swimming in the pool and the OW with me for two months, but was unprepared for the crowded start. It freaked him out a bit.

So we are working on that now. I think he is doing great....

HillSlugger
08-03-2007, 07:35 AM
I did my first this morning. I figure that OWS stands for Oh What a mesS! Granted, I'm not yet a strong swimmer, but I ended up barely doing any freestyle. In FS I couldn't figure out where I was going and I couldn't avoid all the contact with other swimmers (I'm paranoid about getting my goggles kicked off and losing my contact lenses). In breast stroke or side stroke I could see where I was going and I could watch out for the other swimmers and "protect my face". It certainly wasn't what I had planned, but I finished the swim and I definitely wasn't the only one doing whatever it took.

This swim was supposed to be a "dress rehearsal" for my upcoming Iron Girl triathlon, but they ended up buggering up the distance. It was supposed to be 1000m but as soon as I exited the water in 18:39 I knew it had to be way short. Unfortunately, nobody knows what the actual distances was.

As much of a mess as it was, I know I'll be able to get it done on race day! :D

luv'nAustin
08-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Gosh, I hate to admit that I haven't been in the open water since the floods closed the lakes earlier this summer. Not sure when I will get another chance...maybe next spring.

I am moving to North Carolina next week and will have to find a new tri group. Not sure I will. There, problem solved, right? :o

Tri Girl
08-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Glad to hear that you ladies are coming along well!!! Like anything- the more you can practice, the less anxiety you'll have. It's so nice to hear that your comfort levels are increasing! :D
Ruth- my DH just did his first tri 2 weeks ago and is having some anxiety in the water as well (all the people really messed him up). Although it was nice to be out of the water before him (he's so much better on the bike and run than I), it's hard to see them struggle a bit. We'll help them get there! :)

Gosh, I hate to admit that I haven't been in the open water since the floods closed the lakes earlier this summer. Not sure when I will get another chance...maybe next spring.
I'm so feeling your pain there. Have only swam open water three times this summer (once before they closed the lake in late May, once at an early June tri here, and once at the tri I did 2 weeks ago- in a different state).
The lake will re-open next week, because it was 20 ft above normal for a long time, all the bacteria and nasty smelling water will keep me out until next year. Ick!
Good luck on your move to NC! My parents moved there earlier this year and are soooo very happy! They live in the Raleigh area and have found it's the nicest place they've ever lived (and they're former military so they've moved around a lot).