PDA

View Full Version : So I totally underestimated the distance...

Jolt
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I sometimes fill in lifeguarding/teaching swim lessons for the local YMCA when I'm available, and got a call last night to teach some lessons at a pond a couple of towns over this morning (the pond is called Carbuncle Pond, which is really a disgusting name for a place where people swim). I had today off from my regular job at the hospital, so I said I'd do it and decided I'd ride my bike there instead of driving. I figured the place was about six or eight miles from my apartment and gave myself plenty of extra time in case a flat tire or something happened. Well, it turns out it's more like 12.5 miles away!! I should have done the Mapquest thing to figure out the distance before going. It was a good thing I gave myself the extra time, because I needed it--not only did the distance turn out to be more than anticipated but I also made a wrong turn at one point (and, I'm ashamed to say, did a bit of wrong-way riding on a one-way street to fix the error--I felt like I had no alternative given that the other option was to go onto a road that I thought might dump me onto the freeway!). I got there barely on time, and the other instructors/lifeguards there thought I was a little crazy to ride my bike there from where I live. The lessons went well, and it sure felt good to get in the water and cool off! I made sure to be completely soaking wet before getting on the bike to go home--it is HOT and humid here lately!! The ride home went better than the ride there--no navigational screwups and it took me just over an hour. I have to say, 25 miles of riding in one day is by far the most I've done--the most I ever did before was about 15. I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight!

Tri Girl
08-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Hmmmm... I've never done that before :cool:

Hee hee- glad you got there on time, and even better that you got in a much longer ride than you were expecting. :D Some days are sure more adventurous than others...

mimitabby
08-02-2007, 11:47 AM
that's a good way to get extra miles, get lost! :D

Thorn
08-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Sometimes it is those "oops-es" that give us the oomph to go further, eh?

We did something similar with a group ride. The ride from the house to the group ride is 80% rural so we thought we'd ride there and back. We actually did a quick plot on google and came up with 15mi. Oops. Try a little over 20 when you don't use the direct route. We weren't quite up to that extra 10 miles, but, once committed, you're committed.

Glad you made it it one piece--and now you can claim 25mi!

Starfish
08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I have to say, 25 miles of riding in one day is by far the most I've done--the most I ever did before was about 15. I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight!

Now you know you can do it! You rode 1/4 of a century! ;)

onimity
08-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Heh, I've gotten lost more than a few times too. :)

You have a good attitude about it, though, and good for you for taking your bike!

coyote
08-02-2007, 12:37 PM
hmmmm I may get lost on the way to work tomorrow :D :D

Jolt
08-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Heh, I've gotten lost more than a few times too. :)

It wasn't even really getting lost (other than the one goof on the way there)--more of a cerebral flatulation as to how far away the place was! Next time I am going to ride somewhere like that I will get a Mapquestimate of the distance first.

RoadRaven
08-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Hmmm... I wonder if the boss will allow me to be late a few times to work due to "cerebral flatulance"... think this just could be a winner!
:p

Dianyla
08-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Oh yeah, I've done something similar. Word to the wise: even if you do use mapquest/google maps to gauge the distance of a route, pay attention to the shape of the roads on the map. Squiggly lines usually mean hills! (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=7312) :eek:

In any case, good for you for sticking with it and now you know you can do it! :)

Zen
08-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Now you know you can do it! You rode 1/4 of a century! ;)

Hey, I like that!

I never looked at it that way before and I'm always the one telling people to break down big goals into smaller ones.

Jolt
08-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Oh yeah, I've done something similar. Word to the wise: even if you do use mapquest/google maps to gauge the distance of a route, pay attention to the shape of the roads on the map. Squiggly lines usually mean hills! (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=7312) :eek:

In any case, good for you for sticking with it and now you know you can do it! :)

One good thing is that the hill factor wasn't bad at all on this trip--it could have been a lot worse, considering the area! There were some gradual ups and downs but nothing major; the worst hills were the ones close to home that I have to deal with all the time!

kfergos
08-03-2007, 06:54 AM
I'm sure you ladies already know about the miracle that is Map My Ride, but if you don't, you should definitely check it out: http://www.mapmyride.com/ Not only can you click along roads to show your exact route, but it automatically fits your route to those roads. And, best of all, it tells the exact elevation and shows your elevation profile, as well as telling you exact distance!

Let me just say that this is the most fun I've had on a web site in a long, long time, and it enabled me to find a backroads route all the way from my work to my home: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ma/worcester/601475168