PDA

View Full Version : Shooz?

HBK
10-05-2004, 05:59 AM
Hi,

I am a relatively new rider and I would like to order some bike specific shoes online. I have pretty regular feet (womens 7.5-8 or 39-39.5, midwidth instep and all) but have a high arch. I have been riding with sneakers in clips so far and find that as my rides get above 25 miles I have been experiencing cramping and toe pain. I think the Lake MX101W will be appropriate for me at my level of riding especially since I may want to go clipless soon. But I am worried about ordering them without trying them on first. Any opinions on fit?

Holly

pedalfaster
10-05-2004, 06:42 AM
Proper shoe fit is so important.

My advice? Buy your first pair of bike shoes at your LBS. You really need to try them on. Each brand fits so differently, and within brands some models differ as well.

Buy the best-fitting pair of shoes that you can possibly afford, even if the price seems steep at the time. Remember that a good stiff pair of bike shoes can last for years.

As a new rider, you are also (probably?) going to need help installing and adjusting your cleats (for clipless pedals). This service should be free if you purchase pedals/shoes at a shop. If you bring stuff in that you mail-ordered they will charge you.

Once you find a style/brand of shoes that works for you (and you know how to set your own cleats) you can surf the web for good bargain for your second (and third and fourth...) pair of bike shoes.

Good luck!

:)

slinkedog
10-05-2004, 08:46 AM
I agree with PF. You really need to try them on. My husband swears by Sidi shoes, if you're looking for a name brand to try.

HBK
10-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Hey,

Thanks guys! This all sounds like practical advice. Hope the LBS has what I like. Amazingly, stuff sells out like crazy in NYC and frequently brands can be hard to find (esp. for women). But I will give it my best shot.

BTW, I just spent a wad on TE for some cool weather basics like pants, tops and a jacket. Now there will be no excuse not to keep riding as the temperature drops. Even better, hubby is as excited as I am.

Isn't that nice? :cool:

Holly

Dogmama
10-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Ditto about buying good shoes. My last pair lasted me almost 10 years. About 40,000 miles of riding.

Have you thought about putting one of those shoe liner, arch support thingies in your shoe? That might help your high arch problem. I don't know of any shoes that have high arches. Sidi's tend to run narrow, btw, except for their bottom of the line (just regular velcro fasteners) which can be adjusted.

Cdalekat
10-06-2004, 09:39 AM
I've got high arches and I was happier with mountain shoes rather than road shoes. The extra padding made my arches feel at least a little more supported since mountain shoes fit more like a sneaker.

Trek420
10-06-2004, 11:03 AM
wisdom from Dogmama "Have you thought about putting one of those shoe liner, arch support thingies in your shoe? That might help your high arch problem."

I use Superfeet shoe liner, arch support thingies for that by the way, not just in my bike shoes but any shoes I wear. I find it helps the knees etc.

CorsairMac
10-06-2004, 11:35 AM
I bought the Specialized MTB clipless recently - I have high arches also - as in Hang 10 feet!...I find them very comfortable for both riding and the occassions when I have to walk in them - as in walking the bike to her home or her parking spot @ work. They have the Velcro fasteners which makes it very easy on my arches as I can fasten the shoe to fit the arch. They are clipless tho and I know you said you weren't going clipless yet to which I say - why wait? I waited 6 wks and that was just 6 wks too long! I LOVE THEM!! No matter what tho - everyone is right...they have to be comfortable and fit you well!...Good Luck

HBK
10-06-2004, 01:12 PM
These are all good suggestions and highly apropos as I am doing a lot of research on shoes and pedal systems right now. At the moment I am thinking that a day of shopping at two or three of New Yorks best cycle shops may be in order. I think for my current style of riding (urban/road/pothole and curb) MTN shoes with dual use pedals may be appropriate. However, I am still undecided. New York City presents a riding environment unlike any other. Intersections, traffic, bridge ramps, bike paths, roads in all (and I do mean ALL) states of repair/disrepair, giving way to suburban roads and hills and beachs, you pretty much have to be ready for anything. Additionally, I have a tendancy to "dive" my foot into the pedaling forestroke, which makes my foot a bit unstable on the pedal. Miserable as clips are; I do feel the loss of power without them.

As for Specialized shoes; hubby, who is an "impulse" buyer came home last night with a pair and he is very happy with them. He is still riding with platform pedals but I feel he will soon be a convert to clipless.

More later,

Holly

fasteryet
10-06-2004, 04:39 PM
I've got Shimano PD-M324 on my hybrid, which worked well the few times I rode in the city. They are clipless on one side, but not the other. You can wear mountain type or touring shoes with them, where the cleats are recessed, so it's easy to walk around if you have to. And you can stay unclipped if you're doing a lot of stop and go because of traffic.

MomOnBike
10-06-2004, 08:37 PM
I just got the duel-sided pedals, too. They take some of the (mental) pressure off when taking off from stop lights or (bleh) that quick dash across 4 lanes of traffic to the nice quiet bike path where all I have to worry about are kamazee squirrels, small children and big pine cones. When things are quiet, I can then take my time and clip in.

When I decided to go clipless, I spent some time visualizing the getting out of the clips thing. I told myself that From Now On I get off the pedals by moving my heel outward - like this (mental foot twist).

Surprisingly, it seems to have worked. I have had no problems (so far - this will now change) unclipping.

I should have visualized clipping in, too. Oops.

BTW, I'm noticing that our LBSs are having some nice fall clearance sales. Now might be the time for some nice new Stuff.

Dogmama
10-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Wow, NYC sounds like a nightmare to ride in. I'm trying to visualize what kind of bike could handle potholes, smooth roads, sand, etc. and not weight 30 pounds....

But, back to shooze. :p

When you go clipless, you WILL fall over at least once because you'll forget to unclip. You WON'T get hurt if you remember to land on your shoulder & DO NOT stick your arm out to catch your fall. Sticking your arm out leads to broken collarbones.

WHEN you fall you WILL feel incredibly stupid. Does anybody remember Laugh In and the old man on the tricycle? There's your visual. Chances are excellent that NOBODY in cars will notice or remember because they're too busy talking on their cells phones, admonishing the kids and/or putting on makeup.

It's OK. It's a rite of passage. You'll be a NINJA CYCLIST once you pass the Falling-Over-In-Clips test.

syklnsoph
10-07-2004, 09:03 AM
pedal faster is right. falling over is a rite of passage!
and the scars are badges of honor!
i've been in clips for 2 years and love them. wouldn't have it any other way. but when the Mr. started riding he was in his sneakers. finally went with clips and we had to go through that learning curve all over again. i stopped one day to show him my mileage on the ODO. he wasn't watching, and plowed right into me. 'course we both went over, bikes intwined. no injuries, no scratches. i laughed and stood up right away. he was embarassed and yelled at me. just kept laughing and rode off into the sunrise. (now he laughs at it).
to help with getting in and out of clips at a moments notice, i practiced on a quiet stretch of road. stopping suddenly and getting out of the clips. also try loosening the pedals at first to make it easier, then once at ease with that tighten them up ever so slightly each time. good luck
soph:D

syklnsoph
10-07-2004, 09:04 AM
opps!!!! it was Dogmama, not pedal faster. my mistake!!!