PDA

View Full Version : Supported TE ride to flaming geiser Aug 19th

mimitabby
08-01-2007, 05:07 PM
okay, in the hopes of getting more folks to ride; I am putting this out there;

instead of Sunday the 12th, how about Sunday the 19th? Let me know if you can go!

and those of us that CAN ride the 12th, i'd still like to; but it won't be the supported ride.

teigyr
08-01-2007, 06:30 PM
That date works for us! The only other thing going on is an event at DH's work that he is less than enthused by...so I think he will be all for the ride also.

lauraelmore1033
08-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I could do one or the other, or possibly both.

KnottedYet
08-01-2007, 08:42 PM
The 19th is certainly more do-able for me.

Starfish
08-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I kind of doubt I could get out of town for the 19th, but it sounds fun. Where is Flaming Geyser? Is it a Mt. Rainier ride?

East Hill
08-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Flaming Geyser is between Auburn and Enumclaw, it's not really close to Rainier.

I will be back in time for this ride! Mr. East Hill thinks we will be back no later than Saturday evening.

Start at 8.00 am at Coulon Park? Earlier? Or perhaps start at the Cedar River Park parking lot?

East Hill

mimitabby
08-02-2007, 07:13 AM
8am at Coulon should be good. Forgive me for spelling Geyser wrong the second time. !!

Starfish
08-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Forgive me for spelling Geyser wrong the second time. !!

Flog her, flog her! :p :rolleyes: :p

What kind of a ride is it? I don't know that area well at all.

mimitabby
08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
It's mostly on streets, and not very hilly.
it ends in a nice park where you can see the flaming geyser and/or put your feet in the water.

Starfish
08-02-2007, 12:09 PM
It's mostly on streets, and not very hilly.
it ends in a nice park where you can see the flaming geyser and/or put your feet in the water.

It sounds nice...how far a ride will it be? And, this might be a stupid question (despite there supposedly not being such a thing!), but what is the flaming geyser? Some sort of man-made park thing? An actual geyser of some sort that is natural?

teigyr
08-02-2007, 12:15 PM
It sounds wonderful! I can't wait to read the description either, I've never been to that area.

Starfish, it would be great if you could make it. It will be a perfect recovery ride after the big one :D

mimitabby
08-02-2007, 12:18 PM
well, ahem.. the geyser looks more like a candle. in the sunlight it's hard to see if it's lit. It's a methane exhaust pipe .. there used to be mines in the area.

Starfish
08-02-2007, 12:21 PM
It sounds wonderful! I can't wait to read the description either, I've never been to that area.

Starfish, it would be great if you could make it. It will be a perfect recovery ride after the big one :D

A big, um, candle! Excellent!

How long a ride are you guys planning?

mimitabby
08-02-2007, 12:29 PM
I think it's about 40-50 miles. with lunch at the park. I'll get back with exact mileage soon. DH will get right on it.

mimitabby
08-02-2007, 01:19 PM
It's a 60 mile ride. Metric century anyone??

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/wa/renton/674913448

East Hill
08-03-2007, 02:56 AM
Yes on metric century!

Flaming Geyser is called that because it was used to burn off the methane generated by the coal mining.

It's dwindled considerably, and it's not really spectacular :( .

But it is fun.

East Hill

teigyr
08-03-2007, 06:48 AM
We're in and maybe I'm unworldly but it sounds spectacular to me. At the very least, it's a new experience and I know the company will be wonderful.

mimitabby
08-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Well, Teigyr did you check the elevation profile?
:D It's pretty durn flat.

Xrayted
08-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Hey there Mimi. I'm hoping we can join in as well if my new shift gets switched in time. It'll be nice having weekends off again. I will let you know as soon as I know. Then you can give us an address so we can meet up with y'all. If anything, maybe Kit can still come up on her own if she is so inclined. Sounds like a fun day. :cool:

mimitabby
08-03-2007, 09:30 AM
X, check the link; it is a map and shows exactly where the ride starts.

Starfish
08-03-2007, 09:57 AM
This sounds like a lot of fun. I can't commit until closer to the ride...life is going to get a little wild when I get back from Shasta. But, it sounds really fun, and I'd like to meet some of you folks face to face!

Well, some faces other than these: :eek: :p :rolleyes: :) LOL

teigyr
08-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Well, Teigyr did you check the elevation profile?
:D It's pretty durn flat.

Ahhhh, THAT is funny!!! Seems almost impossible to be that flat.

Am not opposed to hills, kind of like them actually. Except for the downhills, despise those. The only thing that concerns me are those hills that I am simply not geared for.

X, Starfish and any other TE'rs I have yet to meet, would be great to meet you. X, I might have some Portland riding questions for you, we'll be down there in Sept for a concert and might take the bikes.

Mimi, let me know what we can bring!!

East Hill
08-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I'll be looking forward to meeting all the new folks!

There are a few hills, but not too bad. Depending on the return route, there may not even be a bad downhill :p .

East Hill

mimitabby
08-04-2007, 05:53 AM
Mimi, let me know what we can bring!!

your bike? water?

teigyr
08-04-2007, 10:34 AM
your bike? water?

Yes, that is practical and necessary :D Don't know. Was thinking along the lines of appetizers, wine, and flowers? Or anything else you need? A side dish, perhaps?

mimitabby
08-04-2007, 10:44 AM
silly, that's the whole point of a supported ride. YOu bring your good company.
He won't be bringing wine though; that I can guarantee.
More like a picnic lunch and lots of cool water and non alcoholic beverages!
and a ride home for anyone who can't quite ride the whole way.

Starfish
08-04-2007, 10:49 AM

This sounds so great!

mimitabby
08-04-2007, 10:56 AM
This sounds so great!

Starfish, I hope you'll come.

Starfish
08-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Starfish, I hope you'll come.

Thanks! When I get home from Shasta next Tuesday night, I have about 3 days to finish moving out of the house, which has sold. Then, that Monday, I start a new job. It seems like everything is just all changing at once, and has been for the past couple of years, believe it or not.

So, the ride sounds awesome!! I am just going to play it by ear, though, to make sure I'm not overloading myself, as I can tend to do. Our traffic has gotten so bad, also, that what used to be a 2 hour trip to Seattle is now about 3, and on summer weekends, can easily be 4 or more.

I have to admit, though, that a nice, fun, social, supported, flat-ish ride while making new friends might be really nourishing!

teigyr
08-04-2007, 11:32 AM

Sounds perfect!! And no, we do not need wine. I'm ungraceful enough as it is :D

Starfish
08-04-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm ungraceful enough as it is :D

Hey, at least you didn't say "unbalanced!" :p (That has kind of been me, this week, but I seem to be pulling myself together! :rolleyes: )

Xrayted
08-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Gawd, I hope I get on this new shift soon. I really want to come up for this ride. TE rides are always loads of fun. :D

East Hill
08-04-2007, 02:39 PM
I know I've enjoyed the few I've managed to catch :D .

I think I will be able to entice Mr. East Hill on the ride, also. Unless he would rather be a SAG person as well. I don't think most of us will have problems with the length of the ride, and it's not overly hilly (there are a few hills, but nothing gruesome). Heat could be a concern, though, so I think lots of water/replacement fluids.

East Hill

Susan126
08-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone!

I just got back from a ten day vacation. We arrived safely home last night just before midnight. Hubby did not want to spend another night in a hotel/motel room. We drove for 14 hours across Montana, Idaho, and finally Washington! Plus, I was computerless for ten entire days! :eek: Actually it was nice and relaxing and FUN!

So, a Flaming Geyser ride on the Sunday the 19th?! Dang but I won't be able to come. I already have a scheduled ride that day with some friends. We planned this weeks ago!

Sigh, my timing is always off. You'll have to fill me in with all the details. Ok, I'm off now to read all my email from the last ten days. Plus I want to catch up on all the postings and do laundry and clean . . . it's going to be a long day!

Sue

Starfish
08-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Hey all, I will have to catch you all another time. I realized an 8am start time would either mean leaving Port Angeles around 4-5am (not gonna happen), or spending the night in Seattle. I just don't think a weekend out of town is going to work for me that weekend. Hope you have a great time!

Sometime you will just ALL have to come over and do a loop with me in PA! (And, don't look for a start time with me before about 10am! :p )

mimitabby
08-06-2007, 09:03 AM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Starfish, don't you have a friend with a private airplane??

mimitabby
08-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi everyone!

So, a Flaming Geyser ride on the Sunday the 19th?! Dang but I won't be able to come. I already have a scheduled ride that day with some friends. We planned this weeks ago! . it's going to be a long day!

Sue

can't you get your friends to join us?

Starfish
08-06-2007, 01:48 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Starfish, don't you have a friend with a private airplane??

Believe it or not, just not in Port Angeles!

teigyr
08-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey all, I will have to catch you all another time. I realized an 8am start time would either mean leaving Port Angeles around 4-5am (not gonna happen), or spending the night in Seattle. I just don't think a weekend out of town is going to work for me that weekend. Hope you have a great time!

Sometime you will just ALL have to come over and do a loop with me in PA! (And, don't look for a start time with me before about 10am! :p )

We would love to do a ride in PA sometime. And I know about the later start time, trust me on this one :D

I'm so sad you can't make it. But maybe another time? Or else maybe some of us can go to you.

Starfish
08-06-2007, 04:18 PM
We would love to do a ride in PA sometime. And I know about the later start time, trust me on this one :D

I'm so sad you can't make it. But maybe another time? Or else maybe some of us can go to you.

I would be thrilled to do a ride in PA with anyone who might want to plan a little weekend trip out here. There are a variety of rides we could pick from...from a flatter loop out in the Dungeness area, to a little hillier loop out west near Lake Cresent & Crescent Beach, to a ride up Hurricane Ridge.

Stellar1
08-10-2007, 10:16 AM
So sorry, I won't be riding for a while. Went on last long training ride yesterday (80 some miles) for RSVP. This a.m. early got message that Mr. Stellar's mother is very ill so must be out of town for about 10 days. Hope to ride with some of you at a later date.

Stellar1

mimitabby
08-10-2007, 10:20 AM
what's with all you stars? Stellar and Starfish won't be making it.

I'm sorry, I am looking forward to meeting you. I hope your M-i-L feels better soon.

Susan126
08-14-2007, 06:50 AM
can't you get your friends to join us?

Dang dang and double dang. I did speak with my friends and lucky thing I did because it reminded me of something; I forgot Joe and I have another commitment this Sunday . . . pressure washing the house so that we can paint it the following weekend. We have been putting it off all summer long but realized that our son will be going back to college and me back to work soon. So our ride is now Saturday and the pressure washing of our house is Sunday! Joe said he told me his plan while we were on vacation a week ago. I must have been high from all the fun and relaxation that I didn't pay attention to anything related to "work." :(

It sounds like it will be a lot of fun! I definitely want to hear all about it!

Pedal On!

Sue

mimitabby
08-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Can people that want to do this ride let me know? Since food is involved, i need a headcount. :cool:

KnottedYet
08-14-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm trying... gotta find out what's up with SKnot. (he comes home tomorrow from one set of Grandparents)

Looks like I'll be there, he'll be at his Dad's Sunday.

mimitabby
08-15-2007, 06:09 AM
fantastic! (not sure where Teigyr is these days, but she's coming and east hill is too.)

teigyr
08-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Yes, am here! And yes, will be there. Also, Mr. T. will be there. Am looking forward to the ride and I hope more people can make it :D

East Hill
08-15-2007, 04:03 PM
I may be on holiday at the moment, but I am popping in every once in a while. I'll certainly be there, and possibly Mr. East Hill as well :) .

We are currently in Winthrop, and planning to hit some of the MTB trails tomorrow :D .

East Hill

lauraelmore1033
08-16-2007, 06:58 AM
I was hoping to come on this ride and meet you all, but it looks like I'm going to have transportation issues. Dh will be taking the van out of town this weekend, and I don't really trust my "around town" car out on 405:( . If anyone happens to want to ride in my neck of the woods (Snohomish county), let me know.

mimitabby
08-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Lauraelmoore, i'm sorry we're going to miss you.

So there are presently 6 of us. or 5 if East Hill's hubby decides to stay home.

btw, rain cancels. I need cell phone numbers; I have Knot's, but I don't know if i have East Hill's.. or Teigyr's ??

teigyr
08-16-2007, 10:22 AM
:mad:

I heard the weather report today and every day sounded ok until sunday when, they said, we would have "drenching rain".

Will e-mail you my cell.

East Hill
08-17-2007, 05:14 PM
I've just returned from my holiday to Eastern Washington, and it does not look like rain quite yet!

Perhaps we shall escape? I like to think that I am now a rough tough character, considering how many bruises I gave myself doing the mountain biking the last few days :D , and a little rain would not hurt me after that blistering heat.

East Hill

KnottedYet
08-17-2007, 07:31 PM
I was hoping to come on this ride and meet you all, but it looks like I'm going to have transportation issues. Dh will be taking the van out of town this weekend, and I don't really trust my "around town" car out on 405:( . If anyone happens to want to ride in my neck of the woods (Snohomish county), let me know.

I live in Snohomish Co.

teigyr
08-18-2007, 02:05 PM
So tomorrow, 8am, at Coulon? It looks like the weather is getting a bit better? Hopefully.

We'll be there unless we hear otherwise :D

KnottedYet
08-18-2007, 02:41 PM
whoa! Do y'all see the giant clouds coming from the south and west? Holy Toledo!

Laurelmore - PM me if you need transportation tomorrow.

East Hill
08-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm still thinking good thoughts.

At 8.00 am it will be clear, and mild. There will be no rain until at least 1.00 pm. Or later!

I know, it's raining right now, but looks are deceiving :D .

East Hill

KnottedYet
08-18-2007, 04:31 PM
No rain up here yet. nO.. Uh hUh... no, ummmm that's just really high humidity. And, uhhh, some air shifting. Not windy at all. Nope.

<checks Crow over, to be sure the fenders are on real tight. Starts lookin' for the Proofhide and a plastic baggie. Considers which dries faster: toe-socks in Chacos or woolies in Keens.>

mimitabby
08-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Knot, are you WISHING the rain on?

It's not rain, really, it's just a little humidity. it was beading up on my sunglasses, isn't that odd? :D

KnottedYet
08-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Nope, just being prepared. If I'm prepared, it doesn't happen. It's when I ain't ready that the sh*t really hits the fan.

mimitabby
08-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Nope, just being prepared. If I'm prepared, it doesn't happen. It's when I ain't ready that the sh*t really hits the fan.

then bring your raincoat and rainpants!

Xrayted
08-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I hope you all have a great time tomorrow. I wish we could be there but it's not happening this time. I did get the new shift but it doesn't kick in until sept so I am still working every weekend, 16 hr shifts. I'll be thinking of you ladies tomorrow. Have a blast, take lots of pics to share and be safe. :) :) :)

KnottedYet
08-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Won't know if I'm gonna make it until morning.

KnottedYet
08-19-2007, 05:35 AM
I'm still not feeling tip-top, and it's raining here. What's it doing over there?

mimitabby
08-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Knot, it doesn't look good. I guess I'm going to cancel. wah i wish we rode YESTERDAY!

East Hill
08-19-2007, 05:44 AM
Yesterday would have been perfect--but I didn't know I would be back home already.

We'll have to try again sometime!

East Hill

KnottedYet
08-19-2007, 05:51 AM
Yes, we'll have to try it again!
Thank you Mimitabby and RalieghDon for putting this one together! Bummer the weather didn't cooperate.

mimitabby
08-19-2007, 06:55 AM
maybe we need to call Teigyr and tell her that we're waiting for her at the park???
:D

Starfish
08-19-2007, 09:00 AM
It is POURING rain over here in PA. Maybe this means I will be able to come over for the re-do at some point! :-) I am pretty tired from moving and starting my new job, so this wouldn't have been this weekend. But, there will be one!