PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Soreness

Rhonda
10-04-2004, 01:16 PM
I am fairly new to riding a road bike. I am currently riding a 2003 Fuji Sagres and am using the saddle that came with it. I have only had the bike 3 weeks and have done two 20+ mile rides on it, both times I have been extremely sore for a couple days afterwards, not my bum but sensitive soft tissue area if you get my drift. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking at replacing the saddle with one specifically made for a woman (any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated also). Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what helped. THANKS in advance.

snapdragen
10-04-2004, 06:01 PM
Saddles can be a very personal choice. It sounds like you need something different - you are wearing cycling shorts with a pad - right?

I have a Terry Butterfly that I've used for close to 4 years, and like. The Rivendell girls (jobob and veronica) swear by their Brooks. Check with your LBS, see if they'll let you test ride a few different saddles.

Dogmama
10-04-2004, 06:51 PM
I have a Serfas saddle that I love. But, we're all different. Be sure your LBS doesn't try to sell you something really wide. "Women-specific" saddles tend to be wider & if you have a narrow pelvis, this would be worse.

You will "toughen up" over time. In the meantime, try Desitin (sp?)- the baby rash ointment. It has a slight numbing agent and will fight any bacteria that you might have going. If your skin is a little raw you need to keep yourself very clean down there.

After you shower, take your blow dryer - on the cold setting - & blow yourself dry. Then rub on your Desitin ointment. I would wear a small pad so that you don't get the ointment all over your undies. If you can wear pants that are loose, or a nice flowing skirt, it will help the air circulate & make you feel better.

And look at some saddles with cut outs. You'll have lots more miles of happy riding.

Keep us posted!

Rhonda
10-05-2004, 05:50 AM
At present I am wearing a pair of Canari Womens Trail Baggy Shorts with these specs:

Hydrofleese chamois pad
Mesh lined sideseam pockets
Elastic waistband w/drawstring
Integrated inner gusset panel
Softouch leg grippers

My husband bought me these, he knows I'm a little modest and thought I would like them over the regular cycling shorts. He has been cycling for over a year and has some great cycling buddies that have helped him a long the way and he does his best to help me (he is a great motivator, I wouldn't be riding long distance if it weren't for him!) but obviously he can't relate to all of my challenges.

Like I said, I'm new to this and have had no women input on any of this so any advise on shorts, gear, tricks of the trade, etc would be greatly appreciated!!!

I am presently looking at new saddles, I will let you know what comes of it. Until I get one I think I'm going to have my husband turn the nose of the saddle down ever so slightly so there isn't so much pressure on that one point of contact.

Veronica
10-05-2004, 06:19 AM
Better yet, have hubby show you how to adjust your saddle, so you can make minute adjustments yourself. :)

V.

CorsairMac
10-06-2004, 12:05 PM
My bike came with a comfy, cushy, spring-loaded saddle that I couldn't get off fast enough. I'm not sure what you're looking for but I couldn't have the wider saddle - it was too hard on those same regions - I guess it was just too cushy - or too wide! Anyway - I bought a Specialized narrow saddle with a center channel and haven't had any problems. Like everyone said tho - its like shoes - its gotta fit and its gotta work for you. and I agree with Dogmama - don't let your LBS try to sell you a wider - womens specific saddle just coz you're a woman and that's what they think you should have. Mine is actually a mans saddle which I picked Over the womens saddles he kept pushing at me. I guess the grey hair and wide hips told him I needed granny gear! :-D

luv2ride
10-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Good Evening ladies. I am missing my evening ride due to rain so I thought I would check in. I have been riding for over a year now and I've done long rides. I don't have a chaffing problem I have a lump problem. I have been developing lumps in sensitive areas that don't become open sores but hurt like heck! I have been to the dr and they say that the lumps are in grown hairs that are irritated. But I didn't have the problem for the first 8 months. I have changed my seat, seat tilt, stem tilt and just about everything...I do have new shorts on order! Anybody else get lumps?

Thanks for the help!
Jill
:rolleyes:

slinkedog
10-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Okay... sensitive question: Do you shave in that area? If so, that could be making it worse. Also, have you tried useing chamois butt'r or bag balm or semething like that? Could be helpful, too, to reduce friction.

CAT1Wanabe
10-22-2004, 02:56 PM
I have friends who use vaseline or bag balm and that helps keep irritation at bay. Slop it on, don't be shy. Give it a try.

syklnsoph
10-22-2004, 03:17 PM
if you do shave 'down there', try to find a product called 'skin tends'. it's specifically designed to assist with irritation caused by shaving in those areas. you can usually find it at a beauty suppy store. it's the irritation after shaving that is causing more ingrown hairs. 'skin tends' will lessen the irriatation thereby not causing the hair follicles to become inflamed. also on non ride days, try dusting lightly with gold bond powder.
hope it helps...
soph

echidna
11-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Your Fuju Sagres probably came with a fairly flat, narrow saddle with a narrow cutout (at least that's what's on the 2004's).
To me, that saddle looks like it's skimpy in the rear for supporting MOST womens' sit bones. You may be well served by replacing the saddle.
Most shops will let you try out a new saddle - i.e. they'll help diagnose the problem, suggest something, and allow you to return it for another try if it doesn't make a difference after one or two rides. Just make sure to keep all of the packaging, and don't ride it in really bad weather - ie. make sure you can return it to them in salable condition. (I work for a bike shop that would allow you to do that, no problem...)
As other posters have noted, the Terry Butterfly (emphasis on BUTT???) is a great saddle. I've used Terrys for years - but a different model, the Liberator Lite Ti.
The Sagres is an upright flat-bar road bike. That means that you may find that a saddle that's designed for upright or offroad riding is more comfortable. The stock saddle is a road-oriented saddle which is designed for a more forward riding position than you may be using (though obviously I don't know how you're positioning yourself on the bike). Why'd they do that (put a road saddle on a bike that is not going to be ridden that way)? Who knows...
You don't say if the soreness is more of a squish!!! thing or a chafe!!! thing. My guess is that it's more of a squish (by this I mean you feel bruised, not raw, down there). Getting a saddle that's wider at the rear will help with squish-type problems by taking the pressure off of the tissue in the middle in favor of the bony parts at the back. If it's a chafe!! thing, that can be relieved by a wider cutout (sometimes, though that can move the chafing to on the sides of the cutout), and/or by using a lubnricant along with your padded shorts to reduce friction between you and the bike. Along with Vaseline or Bag Balm., try A&D ointment or (my favorite) Freeman Peace of Heaven Ultra Thick and Rich Body Butter (find it in the beauty products sections at some drugstores...recently I've scored at Target for $4.00 for an 8-ounce tub). The latter has a lot of uses around the house ;)

Rhonda
11-02-2004, 01:22 PM
That is exactly the type of saddle my Fuji bike came with. And it is the feeling of being bruised down there. I would be lying if I said cost wasn't a factor but I've got two kids in college and one in braces so it is definatley a factor. At this point $60 is probably the most I'm willing to spend on a saddle. Right now I'm looking at the Terry saddles and the Serfas saddles for women, just have to find the time to make it to my LBS (local for me is 63 miles away to a decent shop that has any kind of selection). I don't mind ordering online but would like to actually see a few of the saddles first.
Thank you so much for you input, it is VERY much appreciated. Like I stated earlier my husband is great to help me out when he can but can't relate to all of my challenges and I don't know of any women personally who ride. It was great to find this site and great to get input. Thanks again!!

pedalfaster
11-02-2004, 03:03 PM
My two cents:

Three weeks and 40 miles isn't really very long. I know what you mean about spending $$$ on a new saddle too (single mom of a college student--just out of braces!-- here).

One thing your husband may not have thought about is teaching you how to sit on a bike. Find a curb, squat down and "perch" on your sitbones. You should be able to feel those two little bones connecting with the concrete. *That* is how you sit on a bike seat.

Is that the same position you have on the bike?

As soon as we know that your bike fit is good and your sit position is correct, it will be easier to help find a great saddle.

Also, what (type of bike/saddle) and for how long were you riding before the new road bike? There is always something of a break-in period. Even for seasoned riders. If I take a few months off the bike in the winter, my butt always pays for it in the spring!

Rhonda
11-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Before the Fuji I was riding a women's Giant Cypress, comfort bike w/ a comfort saddle, rode it regularly for 3 months, put my first 20 mile ride in on it. On the Fuji I had done more than just two 20 mile rides, they were just the longest, I hadn't noticed any soreness on the shorter rides. Since my first post I've still been riding regularly (although be it not as much as I'd like with the cold and it's been terribly rainy here in Southern Illinois), I've gotten 3 30 mile rides in w/ the soreness after each one (as I stated earlier, don't notice the soreness on the shorter 10 mile rides).
I'll have to try the "sit on a curb" thing and compare it to where my sit bones are at on the bike saddle. I have a pretty good idea that it won't be the same, I think that's why I'm carrying the brunt of my weight "up front" and getting squished thus feeling sore and bruised afterwards. Tilted the saddle down slightly and the soreness wasn't quite as bad on my last 20 mile ride (was definatley still sore though)........that really makes me think a woman specific saddle would make a difference too.

luv2ride
11-09-2004, 07:03 PM
I think you are right it is more of a squish problem. I think I am too far forward in my seat. I like the idea of sitting on a concrete curb...I might look funny but I am going to try that to find the right "sit" position. We have adjusted my tilt but I think to get the right sit I need a different stem on my handlebars...I think I reach and it causes me to be too forward. So just an idea for some of you to look at the stem. I too have the problem of a good bike shop with a professional fitter is 40 miles away. So I am going to head there on the next day off and see what I can find. Thanks for all the good info!