PDA

View Full Version : Got my CamelBak today

sundial
08-01-2007, 02:15 PM
I got it just in time for the heat wave we're having. I usually cycle with 2 32oz frozen bottles of water but one time I ran out on my trip and got a little too hot and feared I was going to start fading. Now I'm ready! I bought the Dream style on REI. Anyone else enjoy being a CamelBaker? :)

Fredwina
08-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I like mine. so much, I have two. One is the Dream, and I can't recall the other's name.

Tri Girl
08-01-2007, 02:29 PM
I haven't had to use it yet this summer, but now that the "heat is on" (thanks Glen Fry)- I'm going to have to break it out for my long rides. My bike can only handle one small water bottle, so it'll be CamelBak time until the heat subsides.

sundial
08-01-2007, 02:32 PM
I wasn't sure I'd like it at first, but after I try it out on a long hot ride, I'm sure I'll appreciate it. I hesitated to use one because I didn't want to look dorky or anything. :rolleyes: Does the 5 lbs slow you down any? :confused:

I haven't developed the knack of stuffing numerous bottles down the back of my jersey, lol. ;)

melissam
08-01-2007, 02:44 PM
I absolutely love my Camelbak! I started using one (a Rocket) when I got my mountain bike and found that I drank a lot more when I was on my bike than I did if I only used water bottles. I also like the convenience of being able to store items in the Camelbak.

I bought the Dream recently, and love the fact that I can still get into my jersey pockets while wearing it. I also use the bungy cord on the Dream to hold my windbreaker when I finally warm up.

I have a water bottle cage on my road bike. I use the Camelbak for water, and use the water bottle for Gatorade or other sports drinks.

The extra 5lbs doesn't seem to bother me at all. And I don't feel hot & sweaty from having the Camelbak on my back. And...I know it's rather unorthodox for a roadie to use a Camelbak, but that's the way I roll!

-- Melissa

sbctwin
08-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I use a camelback for both my road rides and commute. I don't care for the weight on my back, but found that I hydrate more consistantly with the camelback. I have a small bike and am lucky to be able to fit two full size water bottles on my bike, but I can't reach the bottles and put them back easily while riding. I have the magic and just bought a new magic where I can fill the bladder without taking it out. I will use that one for my longer rides and use my old one for my commutes.

Tri Girl
08-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Does the 5 lbs slow you down any? :confused:

Not any more than the 10 extra lbs on my rumpus. :p

sundial
08-01-2007, 03:47 PM
I found out during my last long, hot ride that I wasn't hydrated enough because my strength was waning. :( I can't wait and try it out tomorrow.

Melissam, I thought about using it to store my windbreaker too when fall rolls in.

Sbctwin, hopefully I'll drink enough that the weight from the CamelBak will dwindle rapidly. Now if only I had a handy-dandy porta potty for the road. :p

roadie gal
08-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Sheesh, I am a Camelbak ADDICT! I have a big pack one for long hikes, a moderate sized one for biking - road and mtn, a smaller insulated one for downhill skiing, and a fanny pack style for running and XC skiing. I think they're the best thing since sliced bread.

The weight has never bothered me when biking. I've also never noticed that I feel too warm from it.

jobob
08-01-2007, 04:21 PM
I like my CamelBak too. I bought a Siren, which is a discontinued model (on sale, woo-woo!) but it's exactly what I was looking for. It's fairly small as CamelBaks go, holding 50 oz (about 2 bottles worth), but I find that's plenty. The weight doesn't bother me at all. It's really nice to have when I go on rides in areas w/o water readily available, like Calaveras which can get pretty hot.

If you're concerned about electrolyte intake, there's a product called Elete (www.eletewater.com) which is a liquid electrolyte concentrate that you can add to the water in your CamelBak. It contains no sugars or flavorings, so it rinses out easily. And you can barely taste it.

Elete can be purchased in a small bottle which can be easily carried in a jersey pocket. The small bottle is refillable.

I purchased the small travel bottle and a larger refill bottle from (gasp!) Nashbar. :o

chort
08-01-2007, 06:01 PM
No Camelbak here, but I have a Navarro!!! I bought it because Yes, I liked the color better!! And the over all design. I got it at REI about a month ago and it beats me hauling around water bottles. I don't ride for speed so that the extra 1.5L water weight doesn't bother me!

teawoman
08-01-2007, 08:46 PM
I LOVE my camelbak...I have a 32 oz one since I'm just going on short rides, but I use it for running too when it's very hot out.

Zen
08-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I want this onehttp://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/CAMELBAK.jpg

The CAMELBAK FlashFlo Hydration Waist Pack

Bad JuJu
08-02-2007, 04:49 AM
I only started using a Camelbak last year, but now I wouldn't go out without it in the summer. I always thought it would drive me crazy because it would feel hot on my back, but my riding buddy had one and she said, "Well shoot, it's just hot, whether you're wearing a Camelbak or not." Turns out she was right--it doesn't feel hot at all, and in fact, it feels quite comfy for a while, since I fill it with as much ice as I can cram in there, then add water. On rides of up to 40 miles or so, the water is stays fairly cool--and that's in Florida in the summer!

Like many others, I only use the 'bak for water and put Gatorade in my bottles. Yep, I'm a Camelbakker. BTW, I also have the Dream.

For any kayakkers out there, Platypus makes a similar product that attaches to the rear deck of your boat so you can route the tube over your shoulder and have cool water while you paddle.

VeloVT
08-02-2007, 05:48 AM
I have a few :o . The Dream, which I use for running in above-freezing temps; the Snowangel, which I use for running in below-freezing temps (it's insulated); and the Daystar, which I use for hiking-type activities (has some room for cargo). I definitely recommend the women's specific ones -- even though I'm a very average (not small) size for a woman (5'6", kinda medium build), I have found the women's Camelbaks to fit me much better.

I love them. But for some reason, I don't like biking with them. It's not a style thing -- they just bug me on the bike. I feel like they constrict my shoulder and arm motion and cause me to be less relaxed. Funny, because they don't bug me at all for running, nor do I find them too hot while running (when I'm sweating more than I would on a bike). Go figure. I'm actually a little jealous of all you people that like biking with them. There have been some times this summer when it would have been nice to have two bottles PLUS my Camelbak...

cosc
08-02-2007, 06:14 AM
My magic camelback is a must when temps get over 80's. Just thinking about running out of water make my mouth dry. There is long stretches without water refill spots and shade, so abundant water is reassuring for drink or a mini shower.

Pedal Wench
08-02-2007, 06:24 AM
I just got a Wingnut Hydra last night. I think I'll like it better than a Camelbak, because it sits much lower, and I can reach the two mesh pockets and two of the zippered pockets without taking it off. I'm gonna use it when we do route safety for the Breast Cancer 3-Day - we're on our bikes from about 5am until the last walker is in each night (6pm) so I need to carry lots of stuff each day. I can't wait to try it out!

northstar
08-02-2007, 06:32 AM
I just got a Camelbak Dream a few weeks ago. I've used it twice, and I love it! I put some ice in there and sip away. I thought it would feel awkward, but I hardly notice it while I'm riding. Except for the part where I get to drink icy cold water without fumbling for water bottles. :cool: