PDA

View Full Version : wellgo with Bianchi

ginny
07-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi - I bought a bianchi eros donna that comes with Wellgo clipless pedals. So, I have read elsewhere that these pedals are junk. Does anyone have anything to say about these pedals? What kind of shoes should I get to go with these pedals (long, skinny feet)? If I buy shoes and the pedals suck, can the shoes be used with other clipless pedals? After buying the bike (big chunk of $$), I would prefer to use the pedals that come with the bike and wait until they die to get new ones. Obviously, I would prefer that I don't also have to buy shoes two time...

indysteel
07-30-2007, 10:21 AM
If I remember correctly, the Wellgos that come stock on the Eros Donna use an "SPD" cleat. If that's the case, there are other SPD pedal systems out there, namely Shimano. With SPDs, you can use a shoe with a recessed cleat that will allow you to walk around normally. For a lot of people, that's a big selling point over road shoes.

I really have no first-hand knowledge about whether the Wellgos are any good. On my first bike, a Trek FX, the LBS swapped them out for a pair of one-sided Shimano pedals, i.e., SPD clipless on one side, platform on the other. I immediately swapped out the Wellgos on my Eros Donna for Keo Sprints because I wanted to use a traditional road shoe. I will say, however, that I liked the SPD pedals on my Trek. They were relatively easy to use and the recessed cleat was a plus. I use them now during my spinning classses, so they didn't go to waste (although the Trek FX has :o ).

ginny
07-30-2007, 11:26 AM
thanks! That was helpful.

spokewench
07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
I have a set of Wellgo pedals on my commuter (mountain bike), they work great! Easy to get in and out of, etc.

spoke