PDA

View Full Version : Menopause Jewelry

bikerchick68
07-30-2007, 08:46 AM
My husband, unhappy with my mood swings during menopause, bought me a Mood ring the other day, so he would be able to monitor my moods.

We've discovered that when I'm in a good mood, it turns green. When I'm in a bad mood, it leaves a big red mark on his f___ing forehead.

Maybe next time he'll buy me a diamond.

Trekhawk
07-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Snort!!! Thanks for the morning laugh.:D

margo49
07-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Brilliant!

ClockworkOrange
07-30-2007, 11:13 AM
My husband, unhappy with my mood swings during menopause, bought me a Mood ring the other day, so he would be able to monitor my moods.

We've discovered that when I'm in a good mood, it turns green. When I'm in a bad mood, it leaves a big red mark on his f___ing forehead.

Maybe next time he'll buy me a diamond.

Just ridden home by bike, the long way round, 10 miles (a lot for me), especially after work. Got home, made his sarnies for tomorrow, cooked a nice meal, loaded up dishwasher, now sat here knackered.

THEN................I read your thread, it's the funniest thing I have read in ages, a real gem........... :D

Sally

Zen
07-30-2007, 05:12 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

eh. diamonds are overrated. how about a nice emerald,ruby, sapphire, opal or topaz instead :D

makbike
07-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the laugh I needed a good one today!

Trek420
07-30-2007, 05:30 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

eh. diamonds are overrated. how about a nice emerald,ruby, sapphire, opal or topaz instead :D

or get her a nice "ti anniversary bike" ;)

Zen
07-31-2007, 09:17 AM
or get her a nice "ti anniversary bike" ;)

I love that image.
And hate diamond commmercials that show a woman looking adoringly at a man who gave her a diamond. Yeah. Then he left his wet towels and nasty underwear lying on the bathroom floor:mad: :p

mimitabby
07-31-2007, 10:27 AM
I hate the diamond thing too. There are so many pretty things, why get a clear crystal mined in south africa by mistreated men. UGH
you could get zirconium for 1/10th of the price, made by mad scientists instead.

Support your local scientist!

Tri Girl
07-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Hilarious!!! Thanks for posting.

Oh- and on a side note- I, too, hate those diamond commercials. Like the only way to show love is with a diamond. And if I want one, I'm gonna buy the dammed thing myself- why do we have to wait for "the man" to get us one??. :D Not that I want any other one than the one small stone sitting on my wedding band- I'd much rather have that ti bike or one of those new fancy washing machines, or a new roof... ;)

RoadRaven
07-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Too funny
I am sending this one to some of the girls at work!

Mimi... way to go... mad scientists are much maligned and often closeted away from the world... if we support them just a tad more, they too may know the wonders of fresh air and sunlight!

*joins in the chant* Support your local scientist!*

Zen
07-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Show me you love me...buy me a circular saw or a new set of tires:D

Grog
07-31-2007, 12:40 PM
And if I want one, I'm gonna buy the dammed thing myself- why do we have to wait for "the man" to get us one??. :D

There's actually been a marketing campaign aimed at women, encouraging them to get one for their right hand as a sign of independence or something: http://www.adiamondisforever.com/hot/ if you really want to be depressed...

jobob
07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
A custom wheelset made me a happy woman !

KnottedYet
07-31-2007, 08:22 PM
You can get certified "blood-free" diamonds (no murders or child slavery involved in your overpriced carbon crystal), but why bother? Gimme a cubic zirconium for the sparkle, and then gimme something bike-y for the love!
(or better yet, gimme a massage...):D

Ewwww, I just went to http://www.adiamondisforever.com/hot/ Do they really think women are that shallow? Should I feel insulted?

Grog
07-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Ewwww, I just went to http://www.adiamondisforever.com/hot/ Do they really think women are that shallow? Should I feel insulted?

maybe they think you'll be too blinded by all the sparkles to be insulted! (these rings must weight a TON!)

I've quit being sensitive to the image of women advertising sends back to me. Actually I've quit watching TV so I don't see too many ads. Ewww...

quint41
08-01-2007, 05:05 AM
If you have access to music downloads and don't mind spending 99 cents on a song you've never heard, download RelientK's "Mood Ring". My daughters were big RelientK fans a few years ago, and I always thought this was one of the more clever songs I'd heard in a long time. (Not that I am an emotional girl, mind you ... but I DO have TWO teenage daughters!) :eek: :eek: :eek:

we all know the girls that i am talking about
well they are time bombs and they are ticking
and the only question's when they'll blow up
and they'll blow up; we know that without a
doubt
cause they're those girls, yeah you know those
girls that let their emotions get the best of
them

and i've contrived some sort of a plan to help my
fellow man
let's get emotional girls to all wear mood rings
so we'll be tipped off to when they're ticked
off
cause we'll know just what they're thinking
cause what they're thinking...

she's so pretty but she but doesn't always act
that way
her mood's out swinging on the swing set almost
every day
she said to me that she's so happy it's
depressing
and all i said was "someone get that girl a mood
ring"

if it's drama you want then look no further
they're like "the real world" meets "boy meets world"
meets "days of our lives"
and it just kills me how they get away with
murder
they'll anger you then bat their eyes; those
pretty eyes that watch you sympathize

and i've contrived some sort of a plan to help my
fellow man
let's get emotional girls to all wear mood rings
so we'll be tipped off to when they're ticked
off
cause we'll know just what they're thinking
cause what they're thinking...

she's so pretty but she but doesn't always act
that way
her mood's out swinging on the swing set almost
every day
she said to me that she's so stressed out that
it's soothing
and all i said was "someone get that girl a mood
ring"

cause when it's black (it) means watch your back
because you're probably
the last person in the world right now she wants
to see
and when it's blue it means that you should call
her up immediately
and ask her out because she'll most likely agree
and when it's green it simply means that she is
really stressed
and when it's clear it means she's completely
emotionless (and that's all right i must
confess)

we all know the girls that i am talking about
she liked you wednesday but now it's friday and
she has to wash her hair
and it just figures that we'll never figure them
out
first she's jekyll and then she's hyde....at
least she makes a lovely pair

mood ring oh mood ring
oh tell me will you bring
the key to unlock this mystery
of girls and their emotions
play it back in slow motion
so i may understand the complex infrastructure
known as the female mind

quint41
08-01-2007, 05:05 AM
OK, sorry. That was WAY too long ... :o

bikerchick68
08-02-2007, 01:23 PM

ummm... I'M that shallow. :eek: :D when the ex-bonehead walked out on the marriage and divorce finalized, I had the wedding ring cut into earrings and promptly bought a right hand diamond ring, which I now fondly call my "divorce" ring (as opposed to my wedding ring). For me it IS a sign that I don't need to have anyone else do it for me.

Of course, I did this in 2004... long before this ad campaign. I wear the ring proudly. :)

http://www.benbridge.com/store/product.php?productid=8115&cat=141&page=1#detail_image

KnottedYet
08-02-2007, 08:56 PM
That's a cool ring. And very cool that you did it for yourself. It has meaning for you, unlike something purchased because an ad made someone want it.

I just feel manipulated by that "Right Hand Ring" ad campaign... grrrrr. The TV ads are really obnoxious.

Zen
08-02-2007, 09:46 PM
I just feel manipulated by that "Right Hand Ring" ad campaign... grrrrr. The TV ads are really obnoxious.

Yeah, they figure they'll get you one way or another. They ain't agettin me.
I don't need a flashy ring to indicate I'm a strong independent woman.
I got a tattoo for that;)

Irulan
08-03-2007, 08:35 AM
There's actually been a marketing campaign aimed at women, encouraging them to get one for their right hand as a sign of independence or something: http://www.adiamondisforever.com/hot/ if you really want to be depressed...

The whole blood diamond thing aside, the history of diamond sales is really a history of diamond marketing. Since about 1880, the whole industry has been based on creating a market/perceived need where there was none before. The "three months' salary" thing was created by diamond marketers. The diamond engagement ring was created by marketers. Diamond anniversary bands, same thing. The US and European markets got stagnant, so the marketers started a whole campaign in Japan - to create a market where there was none before.

There is a very interesting book, The Heartless Stone by Tom Zoellner
http://www.theheartlessstone.com/

It's a journalism exercise, an exploration of diamond history, culture and lore that is very, very interesting.

Kitsune06
08-04-2007, 08:11 PM
I've never had a ring with a diamond... actually, besides what my parents have given me, I've never had stones...

my engagement ring was silver, my wedding ring black ti with white gold. promise rings have been silver... but I want ti involved in anything that I intend to be permanent... (silver can be so delicate, and it does *not* hold a polish...)

You feel that way abt diamonds,but gold is very much like diamonds, inasmuch as the history is concerned...

Velobambina
08-05-2007, 12:16 AM
I never got an engagement ring, which is not a big deal to me. I wear a wedding band, which came from Ireland., and no other rings.

It amuses me to see some chicks "check out" other chicks' jewelry, clothes, hair dos, etc. I used to share an office with an Ice Princess who was all about who had the biggest jewels, nicest (biggest) house, most perfect kids, etc. It bothered her that I didn't care about that stuff. Anyway, ironically enough, her diamond is big but her husband (who works in the same fed'l agency) has a well known rep for infidelity and was once picked up for soliciting a hooker (turned out to be a vice cop---hubby showed his credentials, trying to get out of the bust, and the DC cops called our workplace about it.). LOL. I do feel sorry for her to an extent, however.

Zen
08-05-2007, 06:21 PM
First there were Blood diamonds, I guess now there are Guilt diamonds (kobe diamonds?)

Not too big on bling, myself. I can't even remember to wear earrings.

bmccasland
08-06-2007, 04:34 AM
ummm... I'M that shallow. :eek: :D when the ex-bonehead walked out on the marriage and divorce finalized, I had the wedding ring cut into earrings and promptly bought a right hand diamond ring, which I now fondly call my "divorce" ring (as opposed to my wedding ring). For me it IS a sign that I don't need to have anyone else do it for me.

Of course, I did this in 2004... long before this ad campaign. I wear the ring proudly. :)

http://www.benbridge.com/store/product.php?productid=8115&cat=141&page=1#detail_image

I left the wedding ring on the dresser when I walked out. But discovered I still had the diamond solitare necklace in my jewelery box. So I had that diamond matched for a pair of earings - and discovered in the process that I had the apprasial for the necklace, bought before X even knew me! Also discovered I had a very good diamond in a cheap setting. Now I have a lovely pair of earings.

On my LEFT hand I wear an emerald and diamond white gold ring (or paste, dending on who you ask) that is part of the spoils of my parent's divorce. On my right hand - amber ring, or blue topaz (also thanks to my folks).

KnottedYet
08-06-2007, 05:10 AM
I took my engagement and wedding rings to be apraised several years after I got divorced. I had paid for them myself (!) and knew what they had been worth, so thought I'd get enough to pay down some debt.... or pay for part of a bike.

ha!

I'd been hanging on to those things, thinking they were an investment or an emergency fund. My right hand ring was safely tucked away for my son to inherit. The women in my ex's families had right hand rings that were old family rings (wedding, engagement, and such) that the matriarch of the family gave them when they got married. Mine was a plain gold wedding band that was about 80 years old. That will be for my son.

Anyway, took my ring in and was told the gold and stones weren't even worth $100. A couple shops told me they weren't even worth the time it would take to dismantle them. Bummer...

Could've used a mood ring right about then! :D

(BTW: it's not the *idea* of a right hand ring that bothers me. That idea has been around a very long time. It's the way it's being advertised by the jewelry conglomerate that bothers me.)

solobiker
08-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I agree with Knotted. Give me something for my bike instead. I work with a few people that are all about how big and expensive their diamond rings are. My boss was telling us all her husband spent over 8,ooo on her ring:eek: when she said that, all I could think of was that would be enough for one nice vacation for my DH and our bikes:D

KnottedYet
08-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I agree with Knotted. Give me something for my bike instead. I work with a few people that are all about how big and expensive their diamond rings are. My boss was telling us all her husband spent over 8,ooo on her ring:eek: when she said that, all I could think of was that would be enough for one nice vacation for my DH and our bikes:D

And one winter day her fingers are thin and dry from the cold and she reaches over the toilet to flush and .... bloop! Flush! :eek: (happened to a friend of mine. I decided then that I would never wear anything that cost more than I could afford to lose!)

glamgurl36
10-03-2007, 08:07 AM
hahaha..:rolleyes: men

caribou
10-27-2007, 09:09 AM
My DH bought me a rototiller for Christmas one year. His male friends said I was going to kill him for getting me that instead of jewelry. Of course, I loved it, and spent all of Christmas Day happily tilling my big garden.

(Guess that's one of the reasons I haven't walked out and left the ring on the dresser yet. ;) )

lph
10-27-2007, 09:27 AM
The most romantic thing my dh ever got me was a real, proper, bent-handled ice-climbing axe. :p

We buy each other climbing gear all the time, but he doesn't care for ice climbing, and I climb ice so rarely that I don't need my own gear - but he still knew me enough to know I really coveted having my very own Big Girl Ice Gear :D

light_sabe_r
10-27-2007, 02:33 PM
HILARIOUS!!!!! I love it!