PDA

View Full Version : Platform pedals

sandra
07-30-2007, 07:05 AM
After my fall from my bike yesterday, I want to go to platform pedals for a while. I need to become more skilled at riding and get used to the bike before I consider clipless. These pedals with straps have got to go!

Are all platform pedals basically alike? Can someone give me a link to a good recommendation?

My LBS is closed on Monday, but I'm going in tomorrow. Trying to get ideas before I go.

Pedal Wench
07-30-2007, 07:13 AM
There's not much to platforms. Your shop probably only has one brand, and that will be fine - you'll only be on them for a month or two;) There are some that are designed for downhilling, with spikes to keep your feet from slipping, but I don't think you need anything like that. Just get the basic ones to get you through this time until you're back on the clipless.

Edit! Just read that you have pedals with straps. You can just take the straps off! Easy!

sandra
07-30-2007, 07:17 AM
I can't find how to get the straps off! I thought they would come off, but they have reflectors and there must be screws under the reflectors that hold the straps on. I can't figure out how to get to the reflectors off to get to the screws. I can't see any screw heads.

(can you tell I'm a new rider? :p But, I'm pumped and having so much fun!!)

Pedal Wench
07-30-2007, 07:21 AM
I had the same problem. I think the reflectors popped off, or slid to one side to reveal the screws. I'll look at mine tonight and see if I can recall how to do it. They do come right off, once you figure out the secret/

sandra
07-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Thank you. I'll keep trying too!

VeloVT
07-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Would it help to just loosen the straps up a lot so it's really easy to slide your foot into/out of the toeclips?

The last time I was test riding bikes (granted, this was after almost a year with clipless pedals) I rode some with platforms and some with clips/straps, and found that while I really missed my clipless pedals either way, the toeclips were much nicer than the platforms for going up hills -- they made it much easier. For me the biggest pain was having to turn them over (in order to slide my foot in) each time I got started at a stoplight.

Also when I bought my commute bike last winter, they had to order shoes for me (took a super long time for them to come in for some reason), so I left the test pedals with toeclips on for a month, until the shoes came in (I had bought eggbeaters, which are not very easy to ride on with normal shoes). I just left the straps pretty loose and it was ok. Especially in the winter, I preferred them to platforms, both for the added security even a loose strap provides, and because they really help on hills, for the same reasons clipless pedals help (though to a lesser extent).

sandra
07-30-2007, 07:47 AM
For me the biggest pain was having to turn them over (in order to slide my foot in) each time I got started at a stoplight.

I had them pretty loose. I'll try it them again, but I was having a big problem with this as well.

The first time I fell, I was just not paying attention. I was test riding the bike, checking out the shifting, the breaks, etc and forgot about being strapped in and was not fast enough.

The second time I was trying to get my left foot in the strap!@!

dex
07-30-2007, 09:47 AM
I have Shimano pedals on my commuter/city bike that are platform on one side and SPD on the other. I have SPD on my road bike, so these were a good option for me to ride either clipless, or to just jump on and go if I wanted to do a quick run to meet up with friends and not have to fuss with taking extra shoes to change into.

Just an option to think about. It would let you have the platform that you want for now, but give you a chance to ease into clipless as you got more comfortable.

I think these are the ones I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Road-Mountain-Bike-Pedals/dp/B0000C83XY

indysteel
07-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I have Shimano pedals on my commuter/city bike that are platform on one side and SPD on the other. I have SPD on my road bike, so these were a good option for me to ride either clipless, or to just jump on and go if I wanted to do a quick run to meet up with friends and not have to fuss with taking extra shoes to change into.

Just an option to think about. It would let you have the platform that you want for now, but give you a chance to ease into clipless as you got more comfortable.

I think these are the ones I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Road-Mountain-Bike-Pedals/dp/B0000C83XY

I second this suggestion. I set my first bike up with these and got the general feel for riding clipless. It didn't take long before I started using the SPD side over the platform. I still had a bit of a learning curve when I bought a road bike with a different pedal system, but it only took a few days to get used to those pedals.

sandra
07-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Which shoes go with these pedals? When I'm ready, that is. :cool:

Pedal Wench
07-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Sandra, I'll give you my usual 'new to clipless' advice. Even while using your platform pedals, pretend you're clipped in. Every time you stop, click out your heel, as if you were unclipping (use the one that you normally put down first when you stop). This way, that motion becomes automatic, so you won't have to think about it. For me, as soon as I grab the brakes, my heel automatically clicks out.

dex
07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Which shoes go with these pedals? When I'm ready, that is. :cool:

I use mountain bike shoes--mine are the Specialized Riata. You should be fine with any mountain shoe, though. Someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong. I am not a pedal expert--or an anything to do with cycling expert--so I'm just relating my own stuff. :)

Velobambina
07-30-2007, 01:15 PM
My bikes have the Shimano pedals that Indy and Dex mention, and I love them. I use the w/mountain shoes (summer) or boots (winter) and SPD cleats.

VeloVT
07-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Sandra, I'll give you my usual 'new to clipless' advice. Even while using your platform pedals, pretend you're clipped in. Every time you stop, click out your heel, as if you were unclipping (use the one that you normally put down first when you stop). This way, that motion becomes automatic, so you won't have to think about it. For me, as soon as I grab the brakes, my heel automatically clicks out.

Wow, this is an excellent idea.

Up in the beginning riders section I've read a few threads lately from people who've just gotten clipless pedals and apparently didn't need any time to adjust to them. Not so with me! It probably took me at least a month after putting the pedals on that I reached my previous comfort level on the bike again. I was extremely nervous when I first got clipless pedals. Really, looking back, I should have waited until I was more comfortable on the bike generally. I was a nervous nelly when I first got my bike for some reason, my balance wasn't very good yet and all sorts of things freaked me out -- riding on dirt/gravel, having to take any kind of evasive action quickly, etc., and I got clipless pedals just a few weeks after getting the bike because it seemed the thing to do, which just compounded my problems.

Luckily it all worked out in the end :D !

sandra
07-30-2007, 01:27 PM
This is an excellent idea. I'm much like Liza and can tell I need time to adjust to the bike, but this is something I can practice in the meantime. Thank you so much for that suggestion!

BleeckerSt_Girl
07-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Sandra, have you tired using PowerGrip straps?
They are just opne diagonal strap that goes across the top of your shoe. It's not a "cage", and it's not "clipless".
You have to slant your foot with the heel outwards in order to both get your foot all the way into the strap, and to get it out. In a way, it's like practicing for the same motion as you will eventually use for clipless riding, but is less scary and restrictive than anything except plain old platform pedals.
I find no matter how muc aggressive tread my shoes and my pedals have, my foot will still slip right off the pedal if my shoe sole gets wet (rain, walking on wet grass...). That's a scary and sometimes painful experience. The Powergrip straps keep my feet from slipping off the pedals and also provide "some" of the effect of being able to pull UP on your pedals for more power and efficiency like you can with a clipless system.
Here it shows how they work:
http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/pg_how_works.shtml
Here's one place to buy them for $20:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=1270&PID=484346&cm_ven=CJ&cm_pla=484346&cm_ite=New+-+Bike+Nashbar&cm_cat=1069410

I use the straps with my MKS Touring pedals:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html
The pedals are a bit wider which is good for when I use big warm hiking boots for riding in the winter. ;)
Also, I can adjust the straps a bit looser for heavy boot use in cold weather.

sandra
07-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Thank you Lisa. PowerGrips it is. They don't look as scary. They are ordered as of right now. I ordered the entire pedal set.

BleeckerSt_Girl
07-31-2007, 04:57 AM
Great, Sandra! :)

You can put them on and keep them not very snug for a while until you get used to them. The first time I used them and came to a stop, I *did* fall over because I was trying to get both my feet out at the same time- dumb! Also I forgot that you have to move your foot BACK and OUT, not just try to take your foot off to the side like I was used to. :rolleyes:
Just keep them slightly loose at first and to pull your heel outward and your foot back to get your foot off the pedal. It quickly becomes second nature. I've been riding with them for a year now and I like them nice and tight now so I get more power on my upstroke while pedaling as well.
Put your first foot into one strap before you start pedaling, and don't try to put your second foot in until you've picked up enough speed to coast nicely while you fiddle with your other foot. You can just ride normally while ignoring the second strap until you are ready to flip the pedal with your foot to the correct side and wiggle your toe in.

sandra
07-31-2007, 05:03 AM
That is exactly how I fell the second :p time with the straps. I didn't get going good enough and was trying to get my left foot in. I probably won't repeat that. OUCH.

This bike is so much faster than my hybrid it is unbelievable. I'm afraid of getting too much power. I already left my poor DH in the dust.

He has neck and shoulder problems (not just from or when bike riding) so he always said he didn't think he would like a road bike. He thought it would make his neck and shoulders hurt worse. After leaving him in the dust, he rode my bike. He said "I may be able to get used to this if I could raise the handlebars some". :D

I feel the handlebars need raising too, but I'm wondering if I am just trying to get back to the hybrid position and need to adjust to this position. I'm going to let the LBS take a look today, unless it's raining again.