PDA

View Full Version : biking 'round bowie

poetcomic
07-28-2007, 11:58 AM
hi. I'm new to biking and looking to make some friends in the Bowie, MD, area. When I say new, I'm talking "brand spanking new" as in I don't have anything other than a bike and helmet yet.

Zen
07-28-2007, 06:22 PM
I wish I could oblige you but I'm nowhere close. How about joining a bike club? Would Potomac Pedalers be close enough?
There are various links in this (http://www.cyclingforums.com/archive/index.php/t-108837.html) thread.

tulip
07-29-2007, 05:05 AM
Take a look at the Potomac Pedalers rides (bikepptc.org). Start with the D-paced rides and go from there. Alot of their rides are in Virginia, though, with some of the D ones along the DC-area paths. How do you feel about driving to get to a ride?

There's also the Oxon Hill club (ohbike.org). They have rides in Maryland, and some joint rides with PPTC. I ride with both of these clubs on the C and B rides. Neither are racing clubs, and they welcome all levels. Try out the slower paced rides until you feel like moving up a notch.

There's also a ride that goes out of College Park, but I haven't been on it in a while. It was out of Proteus Bike Shop. They know alot of local stuff going on.

Finally, pick up a copy of the Mid-Maryland bike map and the ADC Washington DC area bike map (at area bike shops).