PDA

View Full Version : Charity Cycle Ride In India - officially panicing now!!

britkris2912
07-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi to all

Just joined. I live in the UK and decided this was the year for my big adventure. I have signed up to do a women only 390 kms ride through Rajasthan in India in December. I am raising money for a charity that trains women to be doctors to research into illnesses that affect mums and babies, including miscarriage and infertility.

Fund raising going well, but starting to panic on the training. I am built for comfort not speed (overweight basically) and am worrying that I may not be able to do it.

Am doing 10 miles a couple of times a week and aiming for 15 at the weekend. Am off on holiday and then need to be doing 15 miles two or three times a week and 20 at the weekend, working up from there through to the end of November.

Other riders already seem to be hitting 25 and 50 miles so am feeling decidedly second rate right now. Does anyone have some good advice on training and nutrition - or anything to definitely avoid?

I am determined not to give up - this is my adventure and I will get there somehow!

Any advice or words of wisdom greatfully received!

Kristine

mimitabby
07-26-2007, 01:38 PM
how many miles/km will you be doing per day on the tour?

britkris2912
07-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Hi there

It ranges from about 50 kms in about half a day to 97 kms on the longest full day. All others days are around the 75 kms mark.

Kristine

Zen
07-26-2007, 03:11 PM
You have plenty of time.
Have you read thishttp://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_century.asp ?
Here's (http://bicycling.about.com/od/trainingandfitness/Training_and_Fitness.htm) another good reference.

Let us know how it goes, just going to India would be challenging enough for me!

britkris2912
07-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. I will have a good read of the article in the link you mentioned.

Trek420
07-27-2007, 06:14 AM
You have plenty of time.
Let us know how it goes, just going to India would be challenging enough for me!

Plenty of time, feel free to use this calendar as an example of progression.

www.aidslifecycle.org/training/index.html

Maybe you can hook up with some of our UK gals for a ride like my neice, UK Eliphant. She just completed this 544 mile charity ride in June. She trained in England.

India is flat, right :rolleyes: ;) :p

britkris2912
07-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the link. I had an email from your niece - I was looking for a cycling buddy. I think she is in Essex?

That is a bit far away but you never know...we might meet up some time.

Pedal Wench
07-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Kristine, one of the general rules of thumb says that you should be able to safely increase your mileage by 10% a week. So, you can slowly add mileage to your daily rides. What keeps you from riding longer? If you have issues with being comfortable on your bike, a proper fitting might be in order.