PDA

View Full Version : Questions re: Brooks B68 and seatpost

Scubamom
07-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I did my first ride (25 miles) on my new B68 and I have to say that I am amazed at how comfortable something that hard could be. No sit bone pain, and very little discomfort on the "girly bits". I think I might be just short of being in saddle heaven. The only problem I had was that it was so slick I used a lot of strength and endurance trying to keep myself positioned properly on the saddle and to keep from sliding forward. I ended up having to tilt the nose up a bit (hence the slight discomfort on the girly bits) and was still sliding forward. So my first question is:

Short of sticking velcro on my rear and on the saddle, how do I get it to not be so darn slick?! I've proofhided it twice. It shines up really nice from the good buffing it got from my shorts as I slid around on it. You'd have thought it was covered with Astroglide.

Issue two is that my seatpost is a one-bolt style so my tilt adjustments are limited to how the serrations fall. Because of this, one serration puts the saddle with the nose tilted down a bit, and the next serration puts the saddle with the nose tilted up. It's impossible to adjust it with the nose totally level, which will probably be exactly where I'll need it once we get past the slickness problem. My second question is:

Does anyone have a two bolt style seatpost that they can recommend? My understanding is that this style is not limited by the serrations as the fore/aft adjustment and the tilt adjustments are totally separate.

Thanks

mimitabby
07-25-2007, 06:47 PM
I think you'll want that nose up just a tetch and you're going to learn how to sit on it. Roll your butt out behind you and sit as much as you can on the sit bones.
pointing that nose up a tetch will keep you where you are supposed to go.
Hopefully someone wiser than me can help you with the seatpost bolt thing.

I used to have the same problem as you, i felt like i was going to just slip off.
when it was adjusted properly, that sensation just went away.

BleeckerSt_Girl
07-25-2007, 07:08 PM
I sometimes feel slippery on my Brooks when I am wearing brand new shorts....are yours new? If not, the slippery saddle thing fades away after a while....

Dianyla
07-25-2007, 07:26 PM
I wonder if this would work? :p

http://www.shoplet.com/office/limages/ZLEE7597.JPG

Scubamom
07-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Yes, my shorts are new, so I hope that was part of the problem. I already have the nose tilted up a smidge, and hope I won't need to tilt it up any further. I'm hoping I can get past the slipping problem because I had no after ride soreness at all for the first time ever.

KnottedYet
07-28-2007, 05:08 PM
My new B67 is slippery, while my 1 year old B67 isn't. Riding will help cut down on the slip factor. (I've ridden in cotton shorts and capris and jeans, which really do rough up the leather!) Multiple (like 5 or 6 or 10) applications of Proofhide help, too.

I did have to tip the nose up a bit on the new one, but not dramatically.

I think it also helps once your sit bones make their little dents in the leather, it seems like they just settle into place then and stay put better.