PDA

View Full Version : NJBikeGrrrrl ---- Altoonah

ohmyspokes
07-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Good luck! And great job at Fulton!

NJBikeGal
07-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Hey there...thanks! You ROCKED it at Fulton! Great work. I missed the finish...how did that end up...did you guys split up any more or did the group manage to stay together for most of it? Did you see the photos (http://mlkimages.smugmug.com/2007%20Sports/350907) that were taken? They are really great.

We're leaving for Toona tonight! Caravaning out there should be fun, and tomorrow, we're going to be previewing the courses and watching some of the pro race. I'm excited, but I also feel a bit queasy when I think about it! :p I'll be sure to post a detailed race report when it's all over!

ohmyspokes
07-26-2007, 03:34 AM
They cut a lap for our race at Fulton - down to 40 miles. We mostly stayed together til the last climb, when Andrea (total up-and-coming star) from Lehigh U. took off with Maria from TSV on her tail. I tried to chase, but couldn't quite get latched on. They rode away, so I was stuck between the field and the breakaway. I figured I'd go for it and TT for 3rd place. Then I caught Maria. She was toast, so we only rode together for a little bit. I could see the chase group behind us and Maria said "Make it hard for them". I pedaled my little heart out and finished by myself in 2nd place.

Yeah, I saw those pictures. You can definitely see the effort in my face! The one of the chase group finishing is funny - one girl with her tongue out.

I saw some good ones of you in there.

You'll rock Altoonah. Tell the girls I said good luck. I can't wait to read the race report.

NJBikeGal
07-30-2007, 04:38 AM
Well...my first points race is over and it was a doozy! We got out to Altoona on Wednesday night after a pretty fun 4 hour drive! On Thursday, we previewed the two road race courses, one by bike, one by car. One has a 6 mile climb and a 6 mile descent on it (we did that one by bike!)...the other is a rolling terrain, with one larger climb at the 10 mile point. Both looked like they were going to be rough, but doable. The final race is a crit, held in downtown Altoona - fun course, two chicanes and two minor uphill sections.

Friday, Day 1 - Martinsburg Road Race
This course looked terrifying by profile. It didn't look much better when we previewed it by car, but it was easy and fast when we rode it! Every uphill had a descent leading to it, so you were pulled through by momentum nearly every time. Unfortunately, it was a strange race. Everyone stayed together, no one made any moves, and this kept the pack tight and very antsy throughout the race. I got stuck at the back with Naomi and with 55 riders stretched out along the road, there was very little chance to move up. When the chance did arrive toward the finish, which weaved through the town in a crit style finish, girls got a bit squirrely, a few went down, and I mentally checked out and just tried to hold my own without wiping out! I ended up 10th on the day. Not my best performance, but I knew that the big challenge for me was the race on Saturday! Average speed for the race was around 22mph.

Satruday, Day 2 - Altoona Road Race
With a 6 mile climb starting at the 3 mile mark, I knew that this race did not play to my strengths, as I am not a big climber, but I figured I was going to be working to try to get Naomi some Queen of the Mountains points so the pressure was lessened. Right at the start, the pace was high. As we neared the 3 mile mark, I thought that I might be in trouble, but I just relaxed and tried to think about what I knew about the road ahead. The pack stayed together until the 3 mile point on the climb, this was where the grade increased a bit for a nice long section. I was actually feeling good...settled in and started passing people. The worst part of the climb was the last 1K where the grade pops up to 15% up to the QOM line. WOW...that hurt! Anyway, I crested the hill and caught a pack of girls in front of me for the AWESOME descent! We managed to hit nearly 50 mph on the back side of the hill. I managed to stay with a group of 6 to the finish (we were about 1:20 back from the leaders at one point) and ended up 7th on the day. I was very happy with this, because it was a really tough race for me! I knew that if I could hold my own on the crit, I could finish in the top 10 in the GC! Again, even with the climb, average mph was 22.

Sunday, Day 3 - Crit in downtown Altoona!
Beautiful morning...great race weather, although it was a bit warm! The race started fast and stayed fast! It was surprisingly safe, considering how iffy some of the riders had looked earlier in the race! There was one crash on the final lap that took out a rider from Artemis. It was right behind me, but I don't know what happened. I was too pre-occupied with getting cut-off from the front and not going down myself! Unfortunately, this was enough to make me lose contact with the main field (on the last lap!). But, I did stay with a few other riders and come to the line strong and ahead of the Cat 4s around me. I finished 8th on the day and ended up 8th in the GC. Avg speed: 23.5 mph!!!

All in all, it was a great experience for me. I was racing against the National Time Trial Champion (who ended the weekend as she started it...in yellow) and a lot of really talented riders from all over the place. It was a tough weekend, but I feel like I did pretty well! The best part was being called Gert Steegmans by Christina from Capitol Hill who tried to ride my wheel into the finish of the crit and sprint by me. She couldn't do it and said she felt like Tom Boonen who couldn't get around his leadout man! :) That was pretty funny!

Today, I get to go for my massage...so I am really excited about that...and I'll be back out on the bike tomorrow! :) That's all she wrote!

SheFly
07-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Nice job! Sounds like you had a great three days of racing, and finished very well. Enjoy your massage - you deserve it!

SheFly

ohmyspokes
07-30-2007, 07:13 AM
That's some fast racing!

Top Ten in the GC!!! Rock on.

Are there photos anywhere online?

NJBikeGal
07-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Not yet, that I know of! There was a guy shooting all weekend long during our races, so I'm hoping that they show up somewhere soon. For now, I've just been keeping an eye on the Tour de Toona webpage for a weekend wrap-up. One of the guys interviewed Dana, so we're going to end up in the wrap-up. It was so funny...I guess because of our pink jerseys, we were getting a lot of attention from the locals. We had a whole crew of guys who came over while we were warming up for the crit and they were on the side of the road rooting for us during the entire race! Being in pink pays off, I guess! :)

It was also REALLY cool to watch the pros race. Plus, we were staying at the same place as Aaron's women's team, Colavita, and Sierra Nevada, and we know the girls from Ultralink, so we had a lot of interaction with the teams while we were there.

Can't wait to do it again next year as a Cat 3!!! :)

ohmyspokes
07-30-2007, 08:37 AM
That's awesome. How did the rest of the girls do?

So, now that you've got this stage race thing down...going to Christiana? :D

NJBikeGal
07-30-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure about Christiana yet... :) I am thinking about taking you and Betty on this weekend at Doylestown! :cool: It will be a sufferfest with you two ladies there! But, it sounds great nonetheless!

We all had a great weekend, finishing 8th and 12th in the Cat 4 GC and 14th and 15th in the Cat 3 GC. I was just so excited to be out there and racing against some really talents women. You'll have to put it on your calendar for next year...we're already planning a return trip with at least 3 Cat 3s! :)

Some photos for y'all to enjoy! :D

ohmyspokes
07-31-2007, 04:35 AM
Great photos.

I don't know why anyone would say clowns are creepy. :rolleyes:

Yes- Doylestown! Betty has a new bike. Watch out!

equus123
08-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Congratulations to BOTH of you on these past few weeks and what a great writeup about Altoona. :)

Good luck at Christiana. I believe we have 2 girls going.

I just upgraded to a 3 yesterday! :D dun dun duuuuuun next year should be interesting. :p

RoadRaven
08-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Aewsome race report, NJ.
Those hills (the ones with the down-hill lead-in) are my favourite kind of hills :p )

I wonder if the pack stayed together in the Martinsburg race because with the fast downhills everyone was ready for the uphills and thus no clear opportunity for a break away?...

As for Altoona, I'm still stuck on the words
We managed to hit nearly 50 mph on the back side of the hill.
:eek:
I feel good if I can brave reaching nearly the top 60s... 67-70kph, which is only about 44miles...

And crits... well, anyone who has read my posts on crits before can probably guess what I am about to say... I am in awe of you gals who not only ride crits, but race them to win. I have not ridden one, they scare me, and I really don't see me actively chooseing to ride one ever...

To ride with the TT champ would have been a great experience too... did you get a chance to chat with her, or just watch her style/form?

Congrats on a super performance, top ten GC and having fun along the way.
Way to go :D

ohmyspokes
08-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Congrats on your upgrade, Anne!

NJBikeGal
08-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Ditto on the upgrade congrats, Anne. I am also upgrading this year...got my last two points at Fulton. I just haven't turned in the paperwork yet!

Looking forward to Doylestown this weekend...it's bound to be a blast!