PDA

View Full Version : She Got Bike! A Festival of Women's Cycling

Whip
07-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Okay guys - thanks for the input about posting this - I appreciate it!

The event is called She Got Bike! A Festival of Women's Cycling. It is on September 30 at Oregon Ridge Park (8am-4pm) and is the Mid-Atlantic's only, and one of the nation's few, All-WOMAN rides.

This is the third year we are holding SGB. Last year we had 270 women and this year we expect 500 - and I hope you guys will consider being part of it!

There are five rides (14, 25, 46 and 62 miles PLUS another 25 mile ride for women interested in learning about racing.

The festival is AWESOME - you come back from the rides, get lunch, a fashion show, prizes, exhibitors, a lecture on training, demos, a yoga class...lots of fun stuff.

The website to register is: www.shegotbike.com

All the details are there with a link to active.com for actually signing up. It costs $22 and you get a very neat t-shirt with our logo - a big chain ring with the "female" symbol in the middle - pink of course!

Anyway, this event was created to lower the barriers to cycling for women and give newbies the chance to experience the joy of riding. For more experienced women, it's a chance to share their experience, support other women and maybe take on a Metric Century.

Because we want to attract new women to cycling, we have incredible SAG support, so She Got Bike is the perfect place for women to try group riding. Trek also comes in the morning and does bike fittings, repairs and will also let you take one of their new bikes on the ride.

That is it- thanks again for your support in posting this - I hope you all will check it out.

XO
Whip

teigyr
07-18-2007, 04:25 PM
That looks like an incredible ride. I'd be half tempted to register just for the shirt! I wish I was closer though - I would definitely do that ride.

Zen
07-18-2007, 05:19 PM
COOL BEANS!
The Trek Rep will be there and so will I :D
I chose the 25mile ride.

HillSlugger
07-18-2007, 05:49 PM
I almost went last year. Maybe I can swing it this year!

Zen
07-18-2007, 07:41 PM
And I should have my groovy AV jersey by then!!!

Velobambina
07-19-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm going to sign up for this one. Now, which ride to pick....

Kalidurga
07-19-2007, 05:53 AM
Heck, I posted about SheGotBike! the last two years (though I ended up not going either year), so you shouldn't have worried about promoting it, Whip. If I know some of you other ladies are attending this year, then I'll make sure to go.

Velobambina
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I registered for the Crank ride (I think that's the 46 miler---hilly). I wonder if they will let you switch distances/rides on the day of the event. I'm tempted to do the metric century.

divingbiker
07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
I just registered for the 25 mile ride (taking it easy so I can attend the exhibits and lectures). I wanted to go last year, but was in Belize turning 50 instead!

Zen
07-19-2007, 04:14 PM
I could have sworn it said the Trek rep would be there, now I can't seem to find that. Maybe I was looking at another ride:(

Also, it makes no mention of food. I need food.

HillSlugger
07-19-2007, 04:21 PM
If I go I'll do the 46 miler. Anyone know how hilly the route is?

Whip
07-20-2007, 01:25 PM
I wonder if they will let you switch distances/rides on the day of the event. I'm tempted to do the metric century.

Absolutely!!! You can switch rides day of - the pre-registration for a specific ride just gives us a better idea of how much support/volunteers we need on that route. I totally encourage you to give the Metric a try. We really do have the best SAG support around - we are 100% committed to making the experience great, safe and creating an event where women can feel comfortable testing themselves. I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo glad you guys are coming!!!

Whip
07-20-2007, 01:29 PM
I could have sworn it said the Trek rep would be there, now I can't seem to find that. Maybe I was looking at another ride:(

Also, it makes no mention of food. I need food.

Hi again,

The TREK rep will be there - probably at 6:30am or 7am-ish for bike fits and to let you take one of their bikes out on the ride. ALSO, there will be food. This year we are thinking about hiring a caterer (wraps and stuff) or we will have do-it-yourself sandwhiches and treats. We don't want anyone going hungry - especially me :)

Also, thanks for the heads up on the announcement copy regarding Trek and lunch - I'm going to active.com right now and make sure all our info is correct - I appreciate you bringing it up.

Whip

Kalidurga
07-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Whip, any idea how quickly registration fills up? I still have yet to do a real group ride (with a group bigger than the TE-DC ladies, at least), so I'm procrastinating on my decision. Am I remembering correctly that you can register the day of the event?

GLC1968
07-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh, man...I wanted to do this last year, but couldn't make the date. This year I wanted to bring up a few of the women riders from Greensboro...but I can't do the 30th!!! That's the same day as the Six Gap Century in GA. Damn!

I guess I'll have to wait for 2008. :(

7rider
07-21-2007, 08:14 AM
The Metric sounds cool. I love doing new rides in new places (especially when they're groups on marked routes with support!). And...I'd be doing it on my new ID8!!! Ooooo... Fun. Not sure what September will bring...but it might be do-able.

Velobambina
07-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Regina--if you decide to do the metric, I might switch and ride it, too. But you're pretty fast, aren't you? I'd better ramp up my training a few notches (maybe I'll ride my Alaris and we can represent the Seven Team?).

7rider
07-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Regina--if you decide to do the metric, I might switch and ride it, too. But you're pretty fast, aren't you? I'd better ramp up my training a few notches (maybe I'll ride my Alaris and we can represent the Seven Team?).

Oh, yeah! Sounds great! :)

I ride fast when I'm with fast riders.
I ride mellow when I'm with mellow riders.
Fast. Slow. Road. Mountain. It's all good.

Zen
07-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Whip, any idea how quickly registration fills up? I still have yet to do a real group ride (with a group bigger than the TE-DC ladies, at least), so I'm procrastinating on my decision. Am I remembering correctly that you can register the day of the event?

C'mon, you can keep me company on the Power Push. You have more power so you have to push me.

Kalidurga
07-21-2007, 07:58 PM
C'mon, you can keep me company on the Power Push. You have more power so you have to push me.

Where'd you get the idea that I have more power?? Regina might tell you otherwise ;)

If I do register, it will be for the "Power Push". I think I saw that Janice registered for that, as well. Having you guys to ride with would definitely make it more fun, but I dunno about getting all the way up to Oregon Ridge that early in the a.m. My plan last year was to just attend the expo, but I didn't even get there in time for that (got sidetracked further up in Hereford Cnty on the NCRT (http://bikewashington.org/trails/ncr/ncr.htm). Loooove that trail).

F8th637
07-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Wow, thanks for posting this! If I'm not on vacation in Italy at that time or otherwise celebrating my 1st anniversary I'd love to join you!

Whip
07-23-2007, 07:48 PM

Hi Kalidurga,

You can definitely register day of - A couple of considerations: it's $30 instead of $22 day and you would have to buy a t-shirt instead of get one free if there are any left.

The women on this ride are very supportive of each other. We also have ride leaders going out with every group - not that you have to ride with them! Additionally, we have women of ALL ability levels doing all the rides - except the Metric - we even have had some who made She Got Bike their first ride, period. They were amazing. For what it's worth, everyone tends to spread out so it could feel similiar to the group ride you already do.

It helps us to know how many women to expect ahead of time and that's the reason we do the pre-reg and then up the fee day of - a little extra encouragement :)

BUT please don't hesitate to come day of if you can't register in advance - I'm so excited to be able to meet you guys in person - we have to come up with a way to know who is from the Team Estrogen mid-atlantic group!

Whip