PDA

View Full Version : High heart rate and joint pain?

teigyr
07-16-2007, 04:30 PM
I've got something going on and while it sounds like over training, I'm not so sure it is. I don't think I'm doing enough to consider it over training :D

The past week, the muscles by my outer hip feel fatigued when I ride. Like there is no strength there whatsoever. I'm ok riding but the minute I have a headwind or incline, my heart rate shoots up. I rode 8 miles today around the neighborhood and it hurt! I then ran (which is why I put it in this thread) and could not get my heart rate down. Normally it goes down quickly if I go from a run to a jog or a jog to a walk. My right hip hurt, my lower back hurt, and my left knee hurt. I made it 2.5 miles but it was not pleasant.

So. I ride 75-100 miles a week. I run (if you want to call it that!) 5-10 miles a week. Not enough for over training, I think.

So was I in pain because I was already fatigued? Or was my heart rate high due to pain?

I'll also say I am very busy. My normal workday is pretty much non-stop from my run in the morning at 6:30am until I get home from work at 9:30pm. My days off are equally intense sometimes, yesterday we rode for almost four hours then immediately showered and left to go bike shopping with a friend. My post-ride meal consisted of a couple of spoonfuls of egg salad. I am also in the process of getting orthotics and I know some of my problems are in relation to that. But the fatigue? It's horrible. I WANT to stand up in the saddle and climb the steeper parts of a ride but as of now my body will start shaking even on gradual climbs. Oh, and I've had this cold thing that morphed into a cough that is gradually going away but it's been a month.

DH thinks it could be related to work stress. I think maybe I need vitamins. Any other ideas? I don't mind being busy and I know busy people that appear to handle it ok. Maybe I have terminal wussy disease?!