PDA

View Full Version : Performance Ultras

smurfalicious
09-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Well, there is now apparently a Performance Bike in Portland, and I haaaad to check it out. Ugh, what a let down! The stories are true, they're stocked with clueless idiots, a bunch of glorified Kmart bikes, and some really sweet bikes the employees don't have enough savvy to sell. Ugh, for the price of the schwill they were passing off, a poor unsuspecting customer could still do better with $300-$500 bike from the LBS. Ooooh, but this is *Performace* bike so the average idiot must really be getting something. Anyway, aside from the rude jerk who told me that "chain checkers" were over on the tool wall, and blue aluminum (uuuuh, the whole wall is full of blue!!!) I still had fun.

I got myself a pair of the ultra shorts, and daaaaang they are short!!! But, the good news is they have the elastic interface chamois, which I'm spoiled by, so I'm pleased, and for $50. The only thing that kills me, is that there are all these "ornamental" panels, but a seam right down the inside of the thigh. Hrmmm, probably won't bother me, but I haven't rode them yet to tell. We shall see.

emily_in_nc
09-21-2004, 08:43 AM
I like the Performance Ultras a lot. I've posted this before on this forum, so sorry if this is a repeat, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, I wrote a review of them over on girlbike.com. I've got three pairs of Ultras and like the way they fit, look, and ride. The chamois works really well for me. They are short, but so am I, so I like 'em! ;)

Emily

caligurl
09-21-2004, 01:56 PM
i love the ultras.. and part of my love of them is they are shorter than most! even so..i roll them up to raise my tan line! they are comfy and they FIT! woo hoo!

i had tried performance centuries and their smalls were too baggy/saggy :(

same thing with my PI sugar shorts (although i can get those in XS)

i love the chamois and they are so comfortable (the ultras) i wish they made them in navy blue too!

Pedal Wench
09-21-2004, 07:52 PM
I've got to give them a thumbs-up too. Just bought two pairs on sale (yippee!) and although they are short, they're not TOO short, and they stay put and don't creep up shorter.

caligurl
09-22-2004, 07:18 AM
i find it so "funny" that you all mention how short the ultras are... whereas.. i consider all the others too long and the ultras.. well.. i wish they were shorter! for length of love the fox shortie shorts but don't like the chamois as well for longer distances

smurfalicious
09-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Okay, I'm gonna give these the thumbs up. I had a blast riding at Mt Hood yesterday, and the shorts did not interfere with my enjoyment of my new carbon parts. The only gripes I have are that they don't really have much length in the back, which I like so when I'm on the bike I can still say no to crack. The length is tolerable, my Craft shorts are about two inches longer, but I know what you guys mean about other shorts being really long. Don't want them to my knees, thanks. The legs fit me kind of wierd in circumference, but that's probably just me. I dunno though, for $50 bucks, I got my favorite chamois. Can't even touch that at the Pearl Izumi outlet.

love and cookies
-smurf

arachne
10-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Hi - do these produce the "michelin man" effect in women with bigger thighs? I currently ride in Nike drifit shorts rather than cycling shorts because most of them have the elastic that squeezes and doesn't let go - resulting in the above michelin man look. Not pretty.