PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry, I have to brag a little...

Andrea
07-13-2007, 09:42 AM
This is related to my race results, so I figured I'd post it here...

I just noticed on the USA Cycling website yesterday that I'm ranked #1 nationally for cat 4 women's RR, TT, and Stage Race :D
It'll probably change over the weekend since some of the women close to me in rank will be racing while I'm not, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

I just started riding about this time last year, so, even though I qualify now, I'm gonna wait to cat up until the off season- the real bragging rights will come if I can do that as a 3!

Eden
07-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Before you get too excited.... unless the races are reported by the organizers you don't get points for them. So what it basically means is that the races you've attended and done well at are are also well reported. Only one race that I've been to this year is even up on that list. Unfortunately it isn't mandatory even if its a USAC race for the results to be reported to them, so those lists can be a little skewed.

Tri Girl
07-13-2007, 09:54 AM
That's pretty exciting! You should ride the wave as long as you can. Even if all races aren't reported (which stinks, by the way), enjoy this short moment of glory. :D

NJBikeGal
07-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Good for you, Andrea! I've never looked at the National Standings for Cat 4 before...apparently, I'm 11th in RR! Now, if I can only break into the top 10! :) I was, for a short time (not sure now) ranked #1 in my state though! That will change soon, I'm sure (Go, Anne!!!). But it's always nice to see your name at the top, even if it is temporary! Congrats again!

ohmyspokes
07-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Rock on.

It's cool how they break it down like that. More and more promoters are reporting results to USA Cycling, many more than when I started racing a few years ago.

I was #1 in my state for a bit...then I upgraded. ;)

NJBikeGal
07-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Rock on.

It's cool how they break it down like that. More and more promoters are reporting results to USA Cycling, many more than when I started racing a few years ago.

I was #1 in my state for a bit...then I upgraded. ;)

Uh, yeah...and still currently nationally ranked in the top 30 in Cat 3...you're a beast! I can't wait to race Cat 3 against you next year! :rolleyes:

equus123
07-13-2007, 10:27 AM
congrats Andrea, Sarah, Kristy. i'm a little bummed that the promoter from one of the races I won (out of a field of 32!) didn't post the results on USA Cycling. oh well :rolleyes:

NJBikeGal
07-13-2007, 10:31 AM
The first race I ever did...EVER...the guy just stopped recording finishers after the 15th rider crossed. No need to mention that the women's field was 30+ deep! I was off the back...but not THAT far off the back. So, my first race ever and the only proof I have that I did it was the reminder of the most painful hill I've ever climbed 4 times and my word of honor! :p

ohmyspokes
07-13-2007, 10:38 AM
i'm a little bummed that the promoter from one of the races I won (out of a field of 32!) didn't post the results on USA Cycling. oh well :rolleyes:

The first race I ever did...EVER...the guy just stopped recording finishers after the 15th rider crossed. No need to mention that the women's field was 30+ deep! I was off the back...but not THAT far off the back. So, my first race ever and the only proof I have that I did it was the reminder of the most painful hill I've ever climbed 4 times and my word of honor! :p

Bummer on both of those. :(

ohmyspokes
07-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Uh, yeah...and still currently nationally ranked in the top 30 in Cat 3...you're a beast! I can't wait to race Cat 3 against you next year! :rolleyes:

Ha! Yeah, 120lbs of Raging Fury :rolleyes:
Next year will be fun, for sure!

RoadRaven
07-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I just need a refresher her on US cats... Cat 1 means you've made it onto the standings? and the bigger the number, the faster you race?

So a beginning racer might be cat1, and elite racer might be cat5?

So categories are based on ability?
Or are cats then age-graded as well...

So you might be a Vet1 woman (thats me - age 41) but you could be a cat2 racer?

Eden
07-13-2007, 12:23 PM
I just need a refresher her on US cats... Cat 1 means you've made it onto the standings? and the bigger the number, the faster you race?

So a beginning racer might be cat1, and elite racer might be cat5?

So categories are based on ability?
Or are cats then age-graded as well...

So you might be a Vet1 woman (thats me - age 41) but you could be a cat2 racer?

Other way around Cat 4 is beginner for women (men have one more so start as Cat 5's)
To move up you need to get points. If the race meets certain criteria (enough competitors and a long enough race) points are awarded 1st -7 points, 2nd 5 points, 3rd 4points, 4th 3 points, 5th 2 points, 6th 1 point.
If you get 20 points in 12 months you qualify for an upgrade, 30 points in 12 months is often a mandatory upgrade, but because around here you go from racing cat 4 to completely combined 1,2,3 fields usually upgrades are not forced. You can also request an upgrade if you have a certain number of finishes in qualifiying races.
TT's never get upgrade points, only mass start races.
if you are over 35 sometimes you have the option of racing in the Master's category. For women there are usually only 2 master's fields A - for over 35 and a cat 1,2 or 3 and B - over 35 and a cat 4.