PDA

View Full Version : Not a Ride, but a Run - U.S. Half Marathon in SF

michelem
07-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

This will be my first ever fundraising event - the U.S. Half Marathon in San Francisco, November 4, 2007. I will be raising funds to support pancreatic cancer research. Please check out my brand-new fundraising website and let me know what you think.

http://www.active.com/donate/pancreaticasanfran/mlmagnaghi

Any tips and hints are greatly appreciated - as I said, this is my first time doing this and I am clueless! :eek:

Thanks very much.

Michele

P.S. If you ever hear of a ride that supports pancreatic cancer or lung cancer research please let me know! Now that I have the cycling bug, running just isn't as fun anymore. ;)

michelem
08-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm feeling rather discouraged. Weeks after my initial e-mail campaign of close to 150 e-mails I have received one $50 donation toward my approx. $2400 goal (have to raise that minimum to get overnight race accomodations). HR posted a flier at our central offices (over 100 employees) as well. Nothing from that. Any suggestions??? :confused:

maryellen
08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
having raised $ for my empire state aids ride in 2005 i learned that fundraising can be weird. some folks will donate if asked directly but won't even look at a fundraising email. hang in there and be persistent, you'll get there. talk up your training runs. or maybe threaten to go to work without showering until you raise your minimum.

Zen
08-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Keep e-mailing until you get responses.
also look for big money donors, like a gym or a bank. i think banks have a requirement to make charitable donations.
Write up your own letter and throw some pathos in there. Make it personal as to why you're doing that fund raiser.
Think of the stuff the humane society sends out, it always tugs at the heartstrings.
Fund raising is tough.

michelem
08-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Our city donated land for a dog park, but the residents have to raise the money to build it out. It is S . . . L . . . O . . . W going, and this is for something that I hear people complain about all the time (lack of a dog park)! So, yes, I agree, it seems that fundraising is just plain hard! I'll keep at it.

Duck on Wheels
08-10-2007, 02:59 AM
UK Elephant raised a good bit of her ALC6 money by baking cookies. She packaged them in little baggies with a sticker on each baggie with some basic information about the funding goals and her fund-raising web site URL. Sold them at the university where she works and the one where her bf works. I think she did that from a little table with flyers about the event. I don't know if she got any further donations that way, but the cookies sold well. Of course, she bakes really gooooood cookies! Aside from that, it's persistent nagging, emailing friends and family with stories about how training is going, personal stories about people affected by the disease the funding will go towards finding a cure for, thank you notes ...

pll
08-12-2007, 02:36 PM
FYI, there is a bike ride in Minnesota, Purple Ride Minnesota (http://www.purpleride.com), on September 15, with 8, 25 and 50 mile routes.

michelem
08-12-2007, 02:45 PM
pll,

Thanks for the link! I'll have to see if they can bring something like that out here to CA.

luvs2ride
08-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi Michelle,
I know how difficult fundraising can be but it can also be very rewarding to know that you are raising money to help in the fight against cancer. I have done five endurance events with Team in Training through the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Although my last event was a little "slow going" with the money thing, I was able to raise my fundraising limit each time. I send letters in combination with the e-mails. It's also important to send follow ups as people get busy and forget. It's a "priority" for you but not for them. Let them know about your commitment. Tell them about all the training hours and miles that you are logging and also let them know more about your aunt. Most people have no idea what a sacrifice training for an endurance event can be!!! For my last event, which was a century, I used my website to log my training rides so people could check out my progress (I did this ride with my husband). Fundraising can be "wierd!" People you think would donate often don't and others that your haven't spoken to in years will donate more than you realize!! Don't forget to "hit up" places where you spend your money such as the dry cleaners, your favorite restaraunt or your hair dresser or local grocery store. You might be surprised!! I also approached the friends of my parents who were very generous. And by the way, I checked out your website and it looks great! Personal thank you notes take time but are a nice touch (especially if you're remotely thinking about doing another event in the future). I've raffled off a gift basket around mother's day (to whoever made an online donation during a certain time frame) and I've, also, had a friend do a "cookie lee jewlrey party" in my honor (all proceeds raising during the party when towards my cause, etc). Both of these fundraising events were very productive! My best to you!

michelem
08-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Susan,

Thanks for the encouragement. Two of our local chain restaurants do this thing where a certain percentage of proceeds will be donated to my charity when patrons present my flier and eat at the restaurant during certain hours on a certain day. So, I think I'll try that.

Also, many in this thread have emphasized the importance of follow up. I'll have to get up my courage to do that. I have this fear of imposing on people and don't want them to say or think, "Hey! I didn't respond the first time - didn't you get the message???"

Over 200 people showed up for my aunt's funeral - she was so well-loved. But, not one of those people has donated in her memory. Maybe they feel that November is too far away to donate now? Unfortunately, I have to have 1/3 raised by the middle of next month or I won't be allowed to continue training with the organization and they won't pay my entrance fee. :(

Thanks again for all the great advice everyone. I'm taking all your suggestions to heart! :o

Tiffany
08-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Hang in there, Michele. I have been doing fundraisers for years and I have found out that people are more willing to donate when they get something in return. I know, it sounds cold, but it's true. So, here are a few things that I do in order to bring in some funds.

1. I have hooked up with a lady here in Springfield that has her own candle shop. She makes them herself and sells them all over the place. I called her up one day to ask about her fundraising thoughts and she agreed to let me sell her candles to people I know and then she would let me keep 35% of the sales. I have made a killing by doing this. All the ladies in the office love getting candles and it helps me, as well as the candle lady, to boot. I don't even advertise the candles anymore, the ladies at work always ask me when the next candle order is coming around.

2. Do a car wash. I know it will take time and effort but again, people are getting something in return. Ask some close friends to help you out. They can help bring the supplies too. Hoses, buckets, cheap soap, etc. It will be a lot of fun for everyone ... we always have a blast and I can raise anywhere from $200 - $300 on an average day.

3. Do a bake sale at work. Have people bring in baked goods that are individually wrapped with prices on them. For example, if someone wants to bake cookies, have them put 3 cookies in a baggie for 25 or 50 cents or whatever. You get the idea. Just leave a jar out for people to drop their money in (based on the honor system) so it's easy. You'll find most will drop in extra if they don't have the correct change.

4. Ask your work if you can do a "dress down" day (if this will apply to you). The idea is if people pay $5 each they can dress down for that particular day. You'd be amazed how much people will pay to wear jeans. :)

Hope some of these techniques work. Let me know if you need some more ideas. Good luck my friend.