PDA

View Full Version : other sports

assassin__x
07-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Come on folk, I know that people here must do other sports than just biking (well, some do at least). List them here. I'm kinda curious if there'll be any trend.

For myself my other main sport is rock climbing. If you've never done it, you should try it. And remember that outdoor is different than indoor, in my mind there's little comparison. Indoor climbing is only used for training when it's wet or cold.

tinkerbell
07-14-2002, 10:12 AM
Well, I too rockclimb, but not seriously. I started this past winter, and since I live in MN that means climbing in the gym. I have yet to get outside, it seems like such a chore--drive 45 min. to the nearest place then set up a route, then climb, wait, climb more, drive all the way back--it seems to by a day long adventure. I don't have that much time to commit to it, so for now I run to the rock gym whenever I can (I try for once a week , but settle for once about every other week) and enjoy a good 2 hour climbing session. I looked for a weekend trip or something to try outdoor climbing, but summer is so busy as it is that nothing seemed to work out. Maybe after my weeklong bike outing to Chicago I'll be able to spend more time enjoying the wonderful sport of rockclimbing. I love indoor climbing, so I bet once I try outdoor I'll be hooked! Cimb on--and ride on ;)

assassin__x
07-14-2002, 10:51 AM
Hmm, It does take time to accually get outdoors to the crag. Noramlly for me that means a half hour to an hour drive then maybe a half hour to 45min walk in. It doesn't bother me too much (When I used to live with my parents and it was at least half hour dive to an hour to get anywhere, and I like the hike), but if you go out then you should be prepared to commit the day to it.

How about bouldering? Some times the areas are more accessable and there's no time committed to getting ropes set up. When I go craging I'll take the day, bouldering I don't want to be climbing for more than a few hours.

Hope that you get out soon, I recommend going out doors at least once before the summer ends to see what it's like. Good luck and crank hard.

han-grrl
07-20-2002, 03:20 AM
Hey

I rock climb too. well i haven't done it in a bit because i keep re-injuring my poor little shoulder. I get the same "zone" feeling rock climbing as i do mountain biking. Just me and nature! I usually climb at the gym but on occasion get outside in Gatineau Park nearby (about 45 min drive to the site) and i have climbed in the Adirondacks.

My other sports are: road cycling, running, downhill skiing, cross country skiing. and i would like to learn some volleyball. i have played a couple of time and i really like it!

Happy riding!

Han-grrl

J**
07-22-2002, 10:35 AM
Hey, any paddlers out there?

I got a used kayak at the beginning of the summer and it's been a hoot! I'm still a beginner, of course, and I'm talking flat water and bay kayaking vs. whitewater. Still, I'm thrilled just being out on the water in my little boat. Also, it's a nice counterpoint to cycling--mainly works the upper body, though the core muscles are a big factor and lower body comes into play for stabilizing and swinging the hull.

I've been teaching myself from a book so far--read a chapter, go out and try the techniques, read another chapter, etc. But I may take a class or two before the summer's over.

As with rock climbing, paddling can involve some effort to reach the "playground," but once you're there, it's every bit worth the trouble. On the water, "Life is but a dream."

Trek420
07-31-2002, 07:39 PM
Hi,

I used to rock climb in my college days and it is a wonderful sport. Since about 1980 I've
been doing Aikido, a traditional Japanese martial art, similar to jiu jitsu.

I'm not sure whether Aikido helps my cycling more than vice versa but knowing how to take a
high fall has sure saved my butt on a bike several times. You've still got to wear a helmet.

Dita

ohdonna
08-08-2002, 05:07 PM
I kayak, also flat water but think it's a wonderful complement to the cycling. I just recently moved back from CA. to VA. and I'm thoroughly enjoying the scenery by way of my bike and kayak. The best of both worlds for sure! :D IpedLnpadL

Vicki
08-08-2002, 07:22 PM
I've rock climbed some. Hope to get back into it when the weather cools off a bit. Enchanted Rock is an excellent place in Texas. Also love backpacking. Getting away from the rest of the world, carrying everything you need on your back. Walking the trails and all you hear are the birds and the wind blowing through the trees. It can't get much better. Has anyone ever tried sky diving? Lately I've been thinking about it.

Vicki

paintgirl
08-19-2002, 06:58 AM
I just recently discovered this site, as to other sports, I live in northern Ontario, last year I was able to bike until Dec 10, we got tons of snow, so then i could snoshoe. i use the newer type aluminum shoe rather than traditional. i play broomball, slopitch and ball hockey in summer. Biking and snoshoeing I love to do on my own, feels peaceful, clears my mind whatever. Paintgirl

pennys
09-03-2002, 03:20 PM
moutain bike
tele ski intermediate
alpine ski expert
class 3 rafter
hiker/backpacker

penny s

Vicki
09-11-2002, 07:15 PM
I have to tell all of you what I did a couple of weeks ago. I went skydiving. It was my first jump, tandam. It was awesome. It is hard to explain what I felt as I was freefalling then floating down once the parachute opens up is so peaceful. Most of the people I have told about it think I am crazy but say they are proud of me.
Why did I do it? Because I am 39 years old and I am not getting any younger. I'm a wife and a mother but I also want to be just me sometimes and do whatever I want and not worry about what ifs anymore. Life is too short to sit at home and dream about all the things I want to do. I have already paid for my second jump and will probably go before the month is over.
If anyone out there is thinking of doing a jump or anything else adventurous I say go for it.

See ya in the wild blue yonder.

Vicki:cool:

Trek420
09-13-2002, 06:07 PM
Wow! Skydiving, you're brave, not crazy. May all your safe take offs have equal numbers of safe landings.

Hmmm, I noticed a common theme. Does anyone play any team sports? Didn't think so. I don't. Probably has to do with always being last picked in gym class ;-)

My significant other plays women's pro football, yes, tackle, not flag. She also rides a bike which helps to keep the legs fit and loose.

waterlilli
09-18-2002, 07:22 AM
Interesting question Trek. I do not, can not, will not ? play team sports. I have always prefered indy sports to team. I have no talent when it comes to working with others to win. I never really enjoyed PE unless it was gymnastics or something like that. Happy riding, and climbing and hiking and kayaking and what other passions one may enjoy!

Trek420
09-18-2002, 09:17 PM
waterlili,

I just do individual sports; aikido, cycling, hiking, a little weight training in off season.
Nothing competitive.

TREK420

paintgirl
09-19-2002, 05:03 AM
I do 2 team sports, broomball, which is my favorite, and softball. Softball often drives me crazy, standing around waiting for something to happen,. broomball is great, because we have only a few spares, so you play most of the time, and you can run like crazy, and make things happen.I sucked at basketball, only played football at family gatherings, I had 8 brothers and sisters so we were a team, fought all the time. paintgirl

Vicki
09-19-2002, 04:26 PM
I used to play softball (slow-pitch womens and co-ed) and (womens fast-pitch). I loved it. Played for about 7 years. Then I just got burned out. I played in a co-ed game last summer on my sister's team. It just wasn't the same. I've lost the desire to play that sport. Now my favorite sport is riding my bike.

Vicki Just go ride!:cool:

Kpicha
09-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Funny, I've noticed that most riders prefer individual sports to team sports but I'm the other way around. I love basketball and soccer although I'm burned out on soccer right now.

My husband and I played co-ed together while we were dating and up until I started having babies. Now that my babies are getting old enough to play soccer I can live through them :) . But, I've been riding bikes in the dirt ever since I learned how to ride a two wheeler and I love being out on my own, checking out the scenery.

I think my next sport might be golf. I'd love to try that out.

Cheers,
Kristina

williamtash
08-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Assassin_x
I do another sport any body out there do karate
I do that at night 4 times a week for three hours. It is my other passion beside riding my bikes. I started riding again because of karate. I also tried rock climb once it was not for me but you do make it sound great. what do you feel when you get to the top and look around. What do you think is the best part of your other sport.:) Williamtash

Trek420
08-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Hi,

I do Aikido, another martial art. It's great for range of motion, and the cycling gives me endurance which you do not get from Aikido because it's not an aerobic sport.

Plus Aikido falls help in case you endo ;-)

TREK420

Veronica
08-11-2003, 04:25 PM
I swim when the mood strikes me. I was a distance swimmer in college, but now it's more dealing with stress. Nobody can bug you when you're head's in the water. :p

Veronica

williamtash
08-11-2003, 04:52 PM
trek420

How long have you been studing in your system? The karate give me the consentration and building my leg up and flexbility. It is also fun. every know and again I get ti kick a young males ego.:D I use to do tournament but not really any more that is for the young and my rank and age puts me with people that have studied for 20 plus years. I have their age but nut the time studing. That makes it really tought. I also found I don't think that what I need or want from my karate. It is kind of like when I ride my bike I do everything for me and it is the freedom of mind and my mind againist pain and hills and distance. And of course the fun that the big thing:D

williamtash

Trek420
08-11-2003, 05:27 PM
" How long have you been studing in your system? "

more or less since 1980 (the more is a 4 years of Karate before, the less is taking time from training of for college) currently training for my Nidan (2nd degree black belt)

"The karate give me the concentration and building my leg up and flexbility. It is also fun. every now and again I get to kick a young males ego.:D "

The focus is key in cycling and you can get that from MA.

yep, it's fun when guys think I throw like a girl...yep, throw YOU like one ;-)

Not too much problem with that since my instructor is a woman the men who train in our dojo respect women Udansha or they would not travel across the planet to train with her.

"I use to do tournament but not really any more that is for the young and my rank and age puts me with people that have studied for 20 plus years. I have their age but not the time studying."

keep training, it's a lifetime sport, and keep riding too!

TREK

williamtash
08-12-2003, 03:51 AM
Trek,
I have been at it about 4 1/2 shodan in okinawan kenpo. Mr instructor is a man and He good. He train with 8th Kyoshi Vic Coffin. He is the only that got me back to riding because of the MD I have and to keep me walking longer. Thw other two instuctors are women plus me so we rule the dojo. The men are ok their just look at my size which is 5' and 98lbs and think I will brake. I hope you get your nidan that great. I like the idea of a women dojo that sound great. karate and biking will always be a big part of my life. So you tain on in mind and spirit

Williamtash (sandy)

assassin__x
08-12-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by williamtash
Assassin_x
I do another sport any body out there do karate
I do that at night 4 times a week for three hours. It is my other passion beside riding my bikes. I started riding again because of karate. I also tried rock climb once it was not for me but you do make it sound great. what do you feel when you get to the top and look around. What do you think is the best part of your other sport.:) Williamtash

What questions, it does feel fantastic when you get to the top and look around. I took me a while to get used to heights, at first it was a hindrance, but I feel that I can deal with it now. It took sometime to get used to, but I started looking back behind me and I started thinking "this is beautiful" instead of "holy c**p I'm high up!".

Climbing can get your adreniline pumping sometimes, but the most gratifying climbs are ones where it's you and the rock, you just move up it concentrating on every hold and enjoying the movement of your body. Those are the ones that you look up and you can't beleive that you're at the top!

I love just getting out there, I love the rock. My favorite type of place in the world is out on the granite expanses by the ocean near Halifax. Always loved it, and could you imagine my joy when I found that you could climb that rock too!

Thanks for asking, thanks for giving me an excuse to talk about climbing :p

Trek420
08-12-2003, 06:56 PM
" My instructor's a man and He's good. He trained with 8th Kyoshi Vic Coffin. "

I think I've heard of Vic Coffin. If I was to do a "hard style" I think it would be Kenpo, it's beautiful but my knees are shot and can't do the kicks.

"He is the only that got me back to riding because of the MD I have and to keep me walking longer."

My sensei , Pat Hendricks, 6th dan cycles also as well as yoga to cross train she encouraged me to bike too to get my wind up for my previous tests.

"I like the idea of a women dojo that sound great. "

Actualy the dojo is mixed, just our head instructor is a woman. We have a few women senior students also but mostly men. I have been to workshops that were women only but I do not think I'd like a all women dojo because let's face it gals...if you ever had to "use it" would probably be a man and would not like to flip out "arrrgh , he's so tall, will this work?". The guys in our dojo are great.

"karate and biking will always be a big part of my life. So you train on in mind and spirit"

well said!

TERK420

hibiscus09
08-12-2003, 07:00 PM
I've lifted weights about 7 years. I was leg pressing 815lbs & squatting 215lbs & I'm 41, 5'3.5", female & 123lbs with 14.8% bodyfat. I started feeling thick, so I thought I'd go lighter with the weights and get into biking! :D

I'm also learning to golf. I've taken about 6 lessons, golfed 18 twice & the first score was 125 and the second 109. At least I improved!! :D

williamtash
08-14-2003, 08:01 AM
Your teachers name sounds like a name that I have heard. What state do you come from. I come from North carolina. I went off my bike today trying to get my clippless right pedal to work right. he shop found out I needed a shime on my right foot because my feet are so small. It is going to make working tonight the pits because we kumita tonight. Some of those kid want to kill you and I don't wear pads very often to those scrapes are going to get hit. Kyoshi Coffin says alot of names of high ranking black belts that is why I may have heard the name. Ask your sensei If he has heard of Kyoshi: I am usually surprized at who either know him or have heard of him or who has competed against him
Well got to go I have a little one that wants a book read my grandaughter. She already think she needs to be at the dojo and she is 2. She likes to kei:rolleyes:

Trek420
08-14-2003, 07:03 PM
"What state do you come from. I come from North carolina."

California

" Ask your sensei If he has heard of Kyoshi: I am usually surprized at who either know him or have heard of him or who has competed against him"

She may have heard of him but would not have compteted. There are no competitions in Aikdio

Dogmama
08-24-2003, 12:53 PM
I'm intrigued by the martial arts thread. My gym is going to be offering two martial art forms (doesn't say what) but the instructor has been in MA for 30 years and he is very intense (he's also a personal trainer - one of the few I would work with). I'm mostly interested in the ability to focus - can anybody talk about that? Also, how does MA help your cycling? Your day to day life?

Thanks

williamtash
08-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Hi ,

You wanted to know how MA can help you cycling?
Well You have to use everything you have to do it.arms legs hips
strenght training. It also makes you have to focus past the pain of you body and draw from your center. You have to focus on what you ar doing at all times. That and it is just fun and you know that you can handle yourself in a great many situation.
You really want to check out were and how he got his rank
Who was hus sensei was. If he studied a single system or is he mix and matching his. That is not good. You want a clean system
not one that fits the instuctor. If you get what I mean. You also might want to talk to grasshopper she is in MA as well as me and she what her veiw point it.

Trek420
08-25-2003, 09:49 AM
"My gym is going to be offering two martial art forms (doesn't say what) but the instructor has been in MA for 30 years and he is very intense (he's also a personal trainer - one of the few I would work with). I'm mostly interested in the ability to focus - can anybody talk about that? Also, how does MA help your cycling? Your day to day life?"

What a lot of questions and so little time on my coffee break but let me dig in.

First, there's a huge diff between a personal trainer and a martial arts sesei and while I'm sure this guy/gal is great I suggest you check out a lot of classes in your area before deciding on a style/instructor.

I'll continue with things to look for and things to avoid when I get my next break ;-)

Trek420
08-25-2003, 03:01 PM
more thoughts:

MA offers cyclists range of motion, flexibility, balance, fast reaction time, spatial skills, and good falls for when you endo.

I find is that for Aikido anyway, Aikdio calm feels good, calm yet prepared. I've tried meditition and I feel a little dead.

It's a lifetime practice, find a teacher, style and school you feel comfortable and safe with, shop around, talk to people, watch the class.

Grasshopper
08-25-2003, 03:49 PM
I agree with Trek - It's a lifelong practice. I've been studying Karate and Ju Jitsu for 9 years and many days I feel like a beginner. My original school was traditional and wonderful. When that sensei moved and the school closed, I jumped into a contract with one of the largest schools in the area and learned that many many schools are just contract generating aroebics classes. They make you feel like you're learning something and get your heart rate up, but in truth you might as well be jazzersizing. It's like any sport...lots of people can play but not that many are good at teaching the real art!! Ask around. Ask about his teaching history. It doens't sound like you're looking for a cardio kickboxing class (not that there is anything wrong with them!). To really learn the art, is a special thing and requires a special teacher with a lot of experience.

Karate is the greatest thing I've done for myself. When I started practicing I'd recently broken my back and lived in daily pain. I give a lot of the credit to the life I have now to what I learned in Martial arts. It's effected everything I do!!

Dogmama
08-25-2003, 06:16 PM
Wow, thanks for all of the info! I didn't realize that there was so much to know!

Trek420
08-26-2003, 07:33 AM
Dogmama said " I didn't realize that there was so much to know"

It's like cycling, it's something you can do your whole life. After over 20 years I'm still learning.

As for choosing a style at the high or advanced end I feel that most styles are more similar than they are different.

Aikido, a "soft" style becomes direct and powerful as you advance, Karate and other "hard styles" have fluid throws, sweeps and other moves.

What's most important is that you find a teacher and school that you feel comfortable with. How do they treat beginners? With patience and respect? Do the advanced students look inspiring.

good luck and keep cycling too!

Trek420
08-28-2003, 07:32 AM
"Grasshopper sed " It's a lifelong practice. I've been studying Karate and Ju Jitsu for 9 years and many days I feel like a beginner...To really learn the art, is a special thing and requires a special teacher with a lot of experience"

8-) my goal after training since 1975 is to get ONE technique sorta-kinda right each day. You're so right, it's a lifelong goal.

Similar to looking for that perfect LBS things to look for in an exceptional school are:

does the teacher inspire you? How involved are they? Does the head instructor only show up once in a while or often? Beginners in our school get daily attention from our head instructor, a 6th degree black belt.

watch advanced students. you should feel a sense of "wow! I'd love to be able to do that"

most important, how do they treat beginners. You'll be one for a looooong time. are instructors patient? do they stress safety? How do they deal with injuries? Are they respectful of students limits or push training while hurt?

beware of schools that have classes that are off limits, you should be able to watch both advanced and beginning classes. It's one thing to put you on automatic payment for convenience, but avoid contracts at all costs.

style is not so important, all are good. Look for the right school and teacher.

good luck and keep cycling!

Grasshopper
08-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Haha!! I know exactly what you mean!! I've felt the real "flow" of karate ONCE in my training...ONE TIME. And I've tried and tried to recreate it but I haven't. The funny thing is that it wasn't even a move I'd spent a lot of time studying. My body just gave the perfect reaction to an attack from my sensei. It even shocked HIM! I'll never forget that feeling.

My sensei use to wisper something in the ears of students he promoted to black belt. It was a secret "inspriration" they said. When I was promoted I finally heard it "congratulations, now you're ready to start learning." Not what I expected to hear on the day that I got my black belt - but he was so right!! Trek is right too - you'll be a beginner for a long time, but being a beginner in martial arts is a highly respectful thing to be.

Dogmama, if martial arts interests you - go for it! research it like you're buying your first bike - but go for it! Another thing to watch out for is schools that seem to be "making up belts." If there's constant belt tests - with you paying for each one - let that be a red flag. Shady MA schools can feed on our own ego - and make tons of money doing it. Ask questions and trust your gut.

Trek420
08-29-2003, 11:59 AM
wondering if any of us have ever taken a fall off your bike and does the MA help? (I did, it does)

also...more related to the biking...anyone going to the SF Grand Prix?

Lv4Tunes
12-30-2003, 10:12 AM
Living in the flat land and close to the beach - in-line skating is the one activity I could do for hours on end without batting an eye -

Just me, the wheels and some great tunes - the very thought of makes me want to leave the office right NOW!

TwoTiredGal
12-30-2003, 10:31 AM
I also run, hike, backpack and weight train all year round. Winters I snowshoe and mtn bike as much as the weather will allow. The cool thing about Colorado is that I can often mountain bike and snowshoe in the same day. I'd like to get into adventure racing but need to work on my water skills. Took my first kayaking class last winter but never mastered the roll. I'm a little afraid of water so it might take awhile! I also play volleyball which, now that I think about it, is the only team sport I play anymore. :)

Lv4Tunes
01-08-2004, 09:26 AM
My g/f adventure races - if you do all of the other sports, you would love it! The sprints (4-5 hrs) are usually more technical whereas the 24-48 hr ones are all about endurance.....

Roadrunner
08-02-2004, 01:52 AM
Hi,
Until a few months ago I used to go jogging and aerobicsuntil I got tendonitis , which was very painful and took a while to heal. Once I was on the mend my physio' said I could go swimming and cycling. I started cycling andwell the rest seems to be history now. I've got the bug. I'm not tempted to run now (I'm scared it happens again). Besides I can go further and faster on my bike.:D
Margaret

spazzdog
08-06-2004, 06:01 AM
So before you say "I'm not gay" and pass this by, I'll ask you to read on.

The upcoming celebration is Gay Games VII and will be held in Chicago from July 15 - 22, 2006.

The Games are played every 4 years, each time awarded to a different host city. I competed in Vancouver Canada in 1990 and New York in 1994 (both times Track & Field).

The Games are open; inclusive to all who register within the registration time/participant # guidelines. That means gay, straight, bi or transgender; elite, amatuer or recreational athlete.
Awards are given to overall and age group divisions. All participants receive a participation medal.

There are many who come and participate in their chosen sport for the very first time... at the Games the last one to cross the finish line gets as much if not more applause than the first. Participation is the benchmark.

For a more historical look at the games, go to The Federation of Gay Games website: http://www.gaygames.com/en/

For a look at the official Gay Games Chicago site for a listing of sports, cultural events and registration info go to:
http://www.gaygameschicago.org/home.php

A little preview though: Triathlon, Cycling (road and mountain), and Martial Arts are big competitions:)

Most sports are santioned by the individual governing bodies.

So, who wants to play??

P.S. If there's interest here, we can start a new thread under this "Other Sports" catagory... let me know what you think.

Trek420
08-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Hi spazzdog,

I might go and cheer board members on. But I've never raced....ever. I do martial arts also but the one I do is non-competitive. I know a woman who is the same rank in that as I am who participated in the Austrailia games, she did a demo of Aikido and says it was a fabulous experience. And ...gulp...guess I'm "out" to the board now ;-)

spazzdog
08-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Just a thought... subject to approval by TE.com and, of course, interest from members:

How about a diverse, multi-state "team" ? Or teams; triathlon, road cycling events, mountain cycling events.

BTW - the approval part is permission to wear TE jerseys as a "team", NOT financial support. Each participant would need to pay her/his? own registration, sport, transportation and housing fees.

I'll go away now :D

spazzdog
08-06-2004, 08:54 AM
Like I said, participation does not infer that one is gay, but...

Welcome to the party trek :)

spazzdog

Trek420
08-06-2004, 11:24 AM
There's a party? There's a party for this? I'll bring the tofu-lentil-lemon-casserole. Seriously, everyone's invited to the games.

*Alice
01-05-2005, 05:25 AM
i play volleyball and badminton.
and i'm gonna start swimming again pretty soon.

crazycanuck
09-19-2005, 01:59 AM
Other than biking, I swim, run(not often though..), and i recently took up squash.

I'd love to learn how to surf however i'm a bit leery of the sharks..even if we do have anti shark beacons..

c

Trekhawk
09-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Cycling
Swimming
Snow shoeing
Pilates
Hiking

Chasing three little boys (can you call that sport). :)

RedCanny
10-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Walking & Hiking
Rock Climbing
Yoga
Weight training
Swimming
Running, sometimes
Rugby (I just coach it now)
X-C skiing
Downhill skiing (must go out west for that)
new: snowboarding

Carm
10-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Flamenco Dancing
Walking & Hiking
Pilates

carback
10-12-2005, 03:58 PM
skate skiing & classic (mostly skate now though)
telemark skiing (poorly)
swimming
hiking
canoeing
knitting (good finger & forearm workout...)

crazycanuck
10-13-2005, 03:56 AM
I see you coach rugby..Do you mean rugby union or rugby league?
...Do you ever watch the super 12 (now the super 14), tri nations or international matches???

It's nice to see someone in the northern hemisphere who understands rugby...

C

mtbmargie
10-13-2005, 06:26 AM
it was nice to read in older posts that others do martial arts as well. I have been practicing Tae Kwon Do for almost 3 yrs now. I'm in a hiatus though because I recently moved and have not found a school I would like to go to. I've only found mcdojo's around here. I'm considering other martial arts just to keep practicing but for now, riding will have to do. Anyways, other sports... I swim, lift weights, hike, and I play in an ultimate frisbee league in the summer.

RedCanny
10-13-2005, 08:38 AM
I see you coach rugby..Do you mean rugby union or rugby league?
...Do you ever watch the super 12 (now the super 14), tri nations or international matches???

C

I coach rugby union; a college women's club. I'm not sure if there is any league in the US, tho I did hear a rumor of an Aussie Rules fad going on somewhere in/around Minnesota. Weirdness.

There's an Irish bar here in town that usually buys the closed-circuit deal so that we can watch the 6 nations; I think they show other matches, too. I try and see a few of those every year or so or buy World Cup DVDs. I'm too cheap to buy cable, and it sounds like it's still hard to catch rugby even if you pay for it.

Trekhawk
10-13-2005, 08:55 AM
I coach rugby union; a college women's club. I'm not sure if there is any league in the US, tho I did hear a rumor of an Aussie Rules fad going on somewhere in/around Minnesota. Weirdness.

Hey not weirdness just good football. :D :D

RedCanny
10-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Hey not weirdness just good football. :D :D

Ha! I wondered if anyone would bite on my comment. I'm sure its a good game. I spend plenty of time explaining or defending rugby to people around here, so I understand.

DirtDiva
10-13-2005, 11:47 AM
RC, you wanna watch some of the Tri Nations if you get the chance - it's a whole nother step up from the Northern Hemisphere game. Oh, and who won it this year th? And whose country didn't win a single game? Bwahaha! Now where's the evil smiley when you need it? ;)

RedCanny
10-13-2005, 11:57 AM
RC, you wanna watch some of the Tri Nations if you get the chance - it's a whole nother step up from the Northern Hemisphere game. Oh, and who won it this year th? And whose country didn't win a single game? Bwahaha! Now where's the evil smiley when you need it? ;)

Yow, that had to be rough. Ah well, ebb and flow. The All-Blacks have had off years, too (maybe just one or two?). But yes, southern-hemisphere rugby is quite fine. I'll try and catch some tri nations next year.

I have to admit, though, it was nice to see England win the World Cup, for once. I mean, they invented the game...

DirtDiva
10-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Yes, well. You could get away with saying that the ABs hadn't peaked in a world cup year since 1987. I hope NZ gets to host in 2011.

crazycanuck
10-14-2005, 03:01 AM
Hey RC..if you want, i'm more than happy to tape you some of the super 14 games...i know about the zones for vcrs but mine works in the north.

Oh..to watch brendan cannon, george gregan, justin marshall (*sniff* he moved north...), douggie howlett, percy montgomery, daniel carter...the list goes on...

I felt sorry for the wallabies..they're a great team...what happened? I still say the saffies need to stop the eye gouging...

Is rugby union popular in the US???? I'm curious to find out how many people (not including the expats) actually understand the game...and watch...

On that topic..long post..what about Netball? Is that a growing sport in the US??? Or is it just played in the commonwealth????

c

RedCanny
10-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Hey RC..if you want, i'm more than happy to tape you some of the super 14 games...i know about the zones for vcrs but mine works in the north.

I felt sorry for the wallabies..they're a great team...what happened?...

Is rugby union popular in the US???? I'm curious to find out how many people (not including the expats) actually understand the game...and watch...

On that topic..long post..what about Netball?

c

Well, thank you! But my VCR died a couple years ago & I'm resigned to DVDs for the time being. It's been awhile since I knew any big rugby names like Zinzan Brooke or Jonah Lomu; perhaps it's time I get back to being a fangirl?

Well, from the looks of that England-Australia World Cup final in 2003, I'd say the Wallabies got demoralized at that point; hopefully they still aren't feeling that way. Of course, who wouldn't, if you had to play against a bunch of lycra-clad cyborgs from the UK? I was pleased that England won for once, but I prefer the southern style of rugby. Seems more fun & adaptive. Better California clubs have historically played a similar game.

As for rugby union being popular in the US.. well, I wouldn't say "popular", but it's growing at a good clip. In Minnesota alone there are 3 senior women's clubs, 8 senior men's clubs, 14 women's college clubs, 18 men's college clubs, 16 high school boy's clubs, and 14 high school girl's clubs. The growth is not surprising to me- it's amazing to watch a new player come in from other sport, pick it up, and just go like a madwoman.

When the fixtures actually get into the local papers, and regularly, I will feel that it is "popular." Until then, it's still rather marginal. The average yokel just doesn't hear about it. God I wish it ran on broadcast TV! Such a better game...

I have no idea about netball.

DirtDiva
10-14-2005, 08:11 AM
I'm pretty sure netball is pretty much just the Commonwealth and the Caribbean. It's a great game to watch if you've got two really good teams (i.e. a NZ vs. Australia test), but it really doesn't do much for me otherwise.

Trekhawk
10-14-2005, 08:40 AM
On that topic..long post..what about Netball? Is that a growing sport in the US??? Or is it just played in the commonwealth????
c

Someone here asked what sports kids played in Aust I mentioned Netball among them and everyone just looked at me with a glazed expression. So my guess is no Netball does not have a big following here.
:D

DressageAB
10-24-2005, 05:20 AM
Horseback riding at home (and i'm an instructor)
Lacrosse at school
general gym stuff to keep in shape when i'm not home- running, stairs, free weights, spin classes, elliptial, swimming

EinZwei3
10-29-2005, 06:54 PM
I think that I have a strange combination that brought me to cycling. I started as a ballerina, then my body was simply too muscular so I switched to competitive gymnastics. Unfortunetly the same thing happened. Kind of like a Mary Lou Retton thing... So I tried basketball, but although I was the fastest on the team (it was all in the leg power), I was way too short at 5 '4", so I got into cycling. Perfect for my vertically challenged body and my big powerful legs. I went from Road to the Velodrome and back to the Road after several yrs off. Once back on the Road, everyone has dropped hints re. my body type and so I will attempt a come-back at the Velodrome once again. I no longer multi-sport or cross-train as, for me, it defeats the purpose of pursuiing a cycling career. Neverheless, more power to the ones who " Do-It-All "...

cheers!

Number 7
03-30-2006, 04:07 AM
i play ice hockey...left wing. cycling all summer, hockey all winter. it makes for a good year.

Roadrunner
03-30-2006, 05:59 AM
Occasionally myself and hubby go horse riding. We don't swim as much as we used to. We also used to do a lot of hillwalking, maybe we'll start again this year. Life just seems to get in the way of things just now. I recently started tai chi. I love it, several folk have noticed a change in me since I took it up.;)

DebW
03-30-2006, 07:46 AM
My current sports:
hiking and backpacking
cycling (road)
canoeing and kayaking (mostly flatwater these days)
snowshoeing
cross-country skiing (mostly backcountry)

Previous sports:
canoeing and kayaking (class IV whitewater)
rock and ice climbing (never very good at this)
softball (center fielder)
swimming
running
triathlons (just a few 20 years ago)

Maybe it doesn't count as a sport, but I spend a lot of time maintaining hiking trails. Sawing through blowdowns by hand is good exercise. So is carrying bog bridge material on your shoulder for half a mile.

withm
03-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Chalk up another (sea) kayaker, and north Atlantic wreck diver. Talk about 3 equipment intensive sports! Need a huge car to hold dive gear in the way back, boat on the roof, and bike on the back. LOL.

uk elephant
03-31-2006, 04:26 AM
I also would like to think of myself as a rock climber, but for the past 5 years, have done very little of it living in some of the flattest parts of the world. Maybe one day I'll get back to mountains and can do more climbing again. I also hike mountains when I can (Scotland this easter with Bikeless in WI and respective hubbies) and cross country ski in the winter (back country of course). In my younger days I also did figure skating and some roller blading. Would love to do more of all those things, but how to find the time and money?!

Kimmyt
03-31-2006, 04:57 AM
Rock Climber here. Skiier in the winter.

The problem is trying to figure out what I'm going to do on weekends, climb or ride.

Climbing usually wins, but for after work, cycling is the key (though I figured that the trail I ride on once in a while runs right past my rock gym... which means I can get two type of training in one night!! Score!)

k.

SJCzar
03-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Lots of skiing in the winter. Started snowboarding late this season and I am loving it, so my skiis probably won't get much use next year.

I plan on trying wakeboarding this summer. I figure that can be my snowboarding fix for the summer. It will also ensure more quality family time with my teenage daughter... since she's really anxious to give it a try as well. My hubby loves to get us up to the cottage so he can pilot the boat for us.

Popoki_Nui
05-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Anything in, under, or around water. Surfing/boogie boarding, snorkelling, scuba (before bad sinuses set in), waterskiing, tubing, wakeboarding, boating of any kind.

~S.

Trek420
11-18-2006, 07:29 AM
uk elephant "I also would like to think of myself as a rock climber, but for the past 5 years, have done very little of it living in some of the flattest parts of the world. Maybe one day I'll get back to mountains and can do more climbing again."

UK's brother is quite the climber. Here's his 2 seconds of fame.

Now this broadcast is in Norwegian and you do need a high speed connection but if you use the scroll button you can move through the program directily to that section.

So if you don't have high speed internet of even if you do the contest starts at 10:57 seconds into the news and Bjern (my nephew, the handsome red haired young man) is at 12:12 seconds

There also are some women climbers and it's incredible what they do. In this he's competing in the Norwegian national climbing cup. It was on national tv in the Sunday Sports Review, archived on the Internet at

http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/202387

It's all in Norwegian, of course, but you'll see when they get to the interview with the siblings who won (you'll see them climbing a tree, then walking along as they're interviewed). Right after that they show some of the contest and Bjørn is the first close-up at 12:12 into the broadcast about.

lph
11-19-2006, 01:50 AM
This is funny. I was thinking of going to see the competition, not least join the party afterwards, but I had a pretty bad cold so I just forgot all about it. I heard it was a great show, and I've read about the results - but somehow never get around to actually watching any of the footage shot until now, when the link gets posted on a BIKE forum :D

Trek420
11-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Small world, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Quillfred
11-22-2006, 09:43 AM
That's very cool. It's nice to see competitions where other sports are valued. What a cutie.

I wonder what the lads in the fast boat were up to? Brrr.

Q

caligal
07-23-2007, 07:39 PM
I play ice hockey (captain of my team actually) in the winter, and x-c and downhill ski, in the summer I play rec soccer, tennis and roller blade.

I enjoy team sports, especially hockey, that is my sport in the winter. I love it.

mel

crazycanuck
07-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Umm Caligal..

Odd q..are you a kiwi or aussie expat? Reason I ask is, aussies & kiwis call it Ice hockey as hockey in NZ/Aust is Field hockey..

C

caligal
07-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Nope neither, from the good ole usa. Just wanted to differentiate between roller/field/ice.

;)

Jolt
08-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Running (3-5 miles at a time, 10-11 minutes/mile); also swimming occasionally when I have the time to get to a suitable place and not be rushed. I was on the swim team in high school and still teach lessons sometimes. I also like to hike whenever I have the chance and someone to go with (which doesn't happen nearly often enough--most of my friends aren't interested or if they are we have a hard time coordinating anything, and even the local AMC chapter hasn't had much going on lately other than on the weekends I work!!!). I got snowshoes last winter and wanted to start doing that but we hardly had any snow, so maybe this year.