PDA

View Full Version : Another Vancouver question post...

bouncybouncy
07-11-2007, 05:14 AM
Hubby and I are going on an Alaskan cruise and will be in Vancouver for a day before and a day after and would love to find someplace to rent a couple bike for tooling around! We will not have a car and will be staying at a hotel near the cruise ship port. What I am asking for now is

1 - Where do I look for bike rentals?

2 - I thought I heard something about mtbike trails near Stanely Park?

Just occured to me that this should be posted in the "Cananda" Thread...ooops...that is what I get for throwing out my coffee cause I just did not feel like it this morning.

3 - It will be the last week of August so hopefully the weather will be nice...right???

4 - Any & All bike related info you can throw at me!!!!!!!!

Thank you all in advance...hope to have FUN FUN FUN!!!!

salsabike
07-11-2007, 07:13 AM
You can rent bikes right in Stanley Park, I know. Don't miss the huge great blue heron colony in Stanley Park right by the Park Service house on English Bay. Best restaurant in that English Bay neighborhood: the Banana Leaf (Malaysian). And re the cruise: definitely worth doing a side trip in Juneau to whale watch. We did this cruise four years ago, took the side trip, and got to spend an hour with a dozen humpback whales while they were bubble-net fishing. Truly awesome experience.

In August, the weather is likely to be great.

bouncybouncy
07-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for any and all replies but to avoid confusion please refer to this thread...

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?p=222476#post222476

i think the NW forum gets a little more traffic and hopefully more info :p

shootingstar
11-12-2007, 05:22 PM
:) I'm a Canuck and will answer here, so Vancouver, BC doesn't get lost nor mixed up with Vancouver, WA. There's a world of difference.

Would not recommend mountain biking in Stanley Park. Wouldn't be a challenge. You need to cycle across the Lion's Gate Bridge (beautiful ride) and cycle in North Vancouver to get to the famed mountain bike trails. The other option is to cycle to Deep Cove where there is Indian Arm inlet with mountains. Just beautiful. It's a 26 kms. ride 1 way from downtown Vancouver.

Stanely Park must be carefully used..it has suffered from overuse on its trails in past. Please stay on paved multipurpose paths, not the the wooded walking trails.

Right near several bike rental stores on Denman St., there are many restaurants. We just had a great meal at Ciao Bella, a true Italian restaurant with flair. The owner is a friendly pater familias (sorry, this is Latin, not Italy but same heritage.. :p ). If you go on Davie St., just above the bike path in Stanley park, is Mondo Gelato, quality gelato flavours in over 20 flavours. Very creative.... you will love it.

If you love sushi, sashimi , there are many Japanese restaurants abound.

I live only 8 kms. away from Stanely Park... so I know this area like the back of my hand.