PDA

View Full Version : Memory issues

carpaltunnel
07-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I was sorting through some of my deceased mother-in-law's things and found a package of little magazines from the 1950's. Does anyone remember the Kitchen Klatter magazine? Women listened to a homemaker radio program from Shenandoah, Iowa, subscribed to their magazine, and bought their vanilla.

Anyway, a little joke from one of them:

People tell me my memory isn't what it used to be, but really there are only three things I can't remember: I can't remember names, I can't remember faces...and I can't remember what the third thing is.

So I called my girlfriend and read it to her. She said, "I'm so forgetful I can hide my own Easter Eggs!"

jobob
07-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Sounds a lot like a subplot from one of my favorite books, Welcome to the World, Baby Girl by Fannie Flagg (who also wrote Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe). Neighbor Dorothy hosted a radio program out of her home, which featured household hints, recipes, and local chit-chat. It's a really good book.

carpaltunnel
07-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a good book, I'm going to look for it.

Yes, there were a lot of little endeavors like that in the 50's and 60's. There was another one in Colorado springs for example. Much of the magazine space was devoted to a letter from the homemaker detailing what had happened in her family's life in the last month, pictures of the kids events (graduation, wedding, etc.) and letters from relatives and grown up kids ditto. Also little ads for sewing or craft patterns, spices and flavorings, etc. you could order by mail.
Is that stuff in the book too?

Zen
07-11-2007, 10:23 PM
So I called my girlfriend and read it to her. She said, "I'm so forgetful I can hide my own Easter Eggs!"

Or car keys

bmccasland
07-12-2007, 04:07 AM
Back, oh some 15 years ago, when I was doing field work in the mountains of Arizona, and had a truck that only had AM radio, one of the radio programs I got to listen to was "Listen ladies!" A home-ec type program that made me think I had time-warped into the 1950s. Did not break my heart when the guys in motorpool let me have a truck that had AM and FM :p

margo49
07-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I was sorting through some of my deceased mother-in-law's things and found a package of little magazines from the 1950's.

I just love these books.
I have one of my Grandma's recipe books ("Edmonds",1955 edition) and another one (Aunt Daisy for the Kiwi's) with a recipe entitled "How to Preserve A Husband" Crin-n-nge. My own Home Economics text (1964) is not much "better "
What will our kids think when they go thru our stuff, I wonder? (Our Bodies Ourselves, Adrienne Rich to name but two)

Haudlady
08-08-2007, 09:10 AM
"How to Preserve A Husband"

Well...

I've heard that pickling works... although you could probably try pressure-canning too! :D

lph
08-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Well...

I've heard that pickling works... although you could probably try pressure-canning too! :D

Actually, I hear formaldehyde is the preserve of choice in many circles. :rolleyes:

OakLeaf
10-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Well...

Mine's probably sweet enough for a Boiling-Water Bath!

(I was going to say acid, but that's too mean. ) :D

Zen
10-31-2007, 06:03 PM
"How to Preserve A Husband"

That makes me think of this Alfred Hitchcock episode. (http://www.tv.com/alfred-hitchcock-presents/lamb-to-the-slaughter/episode/41003/recap.html)