PDA

View Full Version : I thought I was a car

Melalvai
07-10-2007, 05:00 PM
I spent several hours on the highway in a cage, er, car Sunday night, to pick up some friends from the airport. Got home at 2 am., up at 6 for work, did ok until 7 at night, then I mentally crashed but still had to pick up my daughter from her Bike Class. I headed out and...

forgot that I was on a bike, tried to dive from the bike lane across 2 lanes of traffic to the left turn lane in front of oncoming traffic on a high speed street. Immediately I was surrounded by honking, yelling motorists whizzing past me on the right AND left, I was riding the white line between lanes. I don't remember how I got out of it, probably the rush of cars passed and then there was space, but once I got my left turn made I suddenly realized I was shaking horribly and I got off my bike and walked the rest of the way.

This morning I was extremely nervous and kept looking behind me. So I went back out to the same spot and made myself do that left turn PROPERLY. Then I crossed back over and did it again. After that I was fine, although extremely conscientious about scanning, signalling and stopping!

BleeckerSt_Girl
07-10-2007, 06:21 PM
I have the opposite problem.
Today when I was driving my car down the highway, there was another car in the oncoming lane which was stopped & had their left turn blinker on. I started slowing down- there was no way I was going to go by that car at high speed that was about to turn in front of me and perhaps didn't see me!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: My husband said What are you doing??!! Go! Then I realized i was not on my bike and it was OK to keep going without braking. :eek: :rolleyes:
I often find myself slowing down during downhills in my car so i won't "lose control"- only I don't need to do that in my car!

That's a scary situation you described. I like the way you handled it though- walking the rest of the way and then going back to do it "right" later.

onimity
07-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Glad that it all worked out OK for you!

I have the same problem as Lisa. The other day my sister & I were in the car (a rarity) and she was driving. As she approached our street she tried to downshift with the windshield wiper control. I was laughing pretty hard at that until I slammed my right hand into the window glass seconds later trying to signal the turn.

We learned our lesson! :D

Anne

Laterider21958
07-16-2007, 09:40 PM
It's weird I know, but whenever I get on my bike I feel like I have forgotten to put on my seat belt! Donning the seat belt is so automatic to me that it feels strange not to have one on every time I'm on the road!:)