PDA

View Full Version : Does sit bone soreness go away?

KeylaLeigh
07-10-2007, 03:54 AM
Hi everyone,
After my first "marathon" off road race of just over 20 miles, I developed blisters where I never even dreamed possible before. Talk about pain- yikes! LOL Anyway, I've decided it's time to try a different saddle before the next marathon. I like the idea of a cutout, so I am trying those first. Last week I bought a Specialized Jett and took it for a two hour road ride. My front parts felt wonderful, but my sit bones hurt like crazy by the time I was done. I went out again the next day and they still ached when I sat on the bike. Other than the sit bone pain, I really liked this saddle. I have read about how it takes time to break saddles in, so I am wondering: if I hang on to this saddle will the pain go away? I don't ride all that much- only about four or five days a month. Also, since I don't ride over the winter, when I get on the bike next year, will I start all over with the pain? Thanks for your help!

KnottedYet
07-10-2007, 05:04 AM
I find that the first time I ride when I've been off the bike for a while, that my sit bones get a little sore. It goes away within a day or two.

I figure I'm lucky: if my sitz are sore then I'm weightbearing right where I should be!

Thorn
07-10-2007, 06:21 AM
if my sitz are sore then I'm weightbearing right where I should be!

:) chuckle, chuckle :)

Guess, I never looked at it like that...hmmm....

mimitabby
07-10-2007, 06:31 AM
you're not breaking in the saddle, you're toughening your butt. unless you bought a leather saddle (like a Brooks) there's nothing to break in.
It takes a while to toughen up the sit bones, the best way to do it is to gradually increase your time in the saddle.

meridian
07-10-2007, 06:37 AM
It does take awhile for that area to adjust.

Just my experience; and I really hope this isn't your case, but back when I was a more casual rider, my sit bone areas would hurt after every ride, even the short 15-20 milers.. for days afterwards.

It wasn't until I started riding at least three times a week that the area grew accustomed to that kind of pressure. Now I just experience normal discomfort during really long rides, but I'm never sore the next day or 2.. or 3 like I used to be.

BleeckerSt_Girl
07-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Yes, sitbone soreness is normal and will go away with more riding. It might come back in the Spring briefly after not riding much all winter. :)

mudmucker
07-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Yes as the others say, more time riding will help. Unfortunately, my sit bone pain never went away with the Jett saddle even with increased riding frequency.

KeylaLeigh
07-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi, OP here. I guess I am really wondering whether I should just take the Jett back and try something else (how bout BG2?). I am afraid that if I spend too long seeing if my sit bones adjust, the store will not want to take the saddle back. I have had a WTB Speed She for the last couple of years and never had any sit bone soreness with it, not even in the very beginning. The downside is the horrible blisters up front :eek: , so I'm wondering if that "perfect" saddle exists that incurs no pain anywhere. I know this topic is brought up often, and I appreciate everyone's patience and help. Thanks everyone!

mimitabby
07-10-2007, 01:51 PM
please don't go back to a saddle that gives you blisters in your most sensitive region! that's not right.

emily_in_nc
07-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I only ride two times most weeks and do not get sore sitbones. I do, however, get them, if I don't ride for 2 weeks or more. They should definitely get less sore with more time in the saddle, but riding more than once a week is probably necessary. One reason I ride the trainer in the winter is to avoid sitbone soreness come spring!

Emily

Starfish
07-10-2007, 06:53 PM
For me, definitely the more I ride, the less the soreness holds over.

I just got a Jett a couple months ago. At first, I was pretty sore in the sitbones, but very happy with the forward bits! My sitbones are getting better and better with the saddle...the other day I did 80 miles on it, and I am fine. I REALLY like it for climbing, which is what I am doing more and more of, so it suits me.

Depending on the type of riding you do and what you need out of a saddle, you might have good luck with a Specialized mountain bike saddle for women. The one I had before the Jett was only about $35, and had the exact same width and cut out location. But, it was softer, and the "trough" for the girly bits was just not as pronounced. That saddle served me well for quite awhile...I just wanted a little firmer saddle...for me, I wanted the firmer perch on the back, and wanted the better trough for the female bits. But, I rode a couple centuries on that saddle, so it was OK, you know? Never had real numbness issue and never a saddle sore.

I can't recall the name of it right now, but I still see it hanging in the Specialized stores...it is sort of black vinyl looking, with some periwinkle star-like designs on it. Might work for you.

Nokomis
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
My first ride on my Brooks was screaming sit bone pain - but after 3 years of riding, it was also the first saddle in which my sit bones were actually ON the saddle. I haven't reached the happy tush stage, but I'm starting to get glimmers of hope each ride that it might actually be a saddle that could get comfortable for me - and each ride is less painful so long as I get out frequently. That said, this is the first saddle that the ONLY part down yonder that hurts post ride is the sit bones... don't ever want to go back to that other pain. :eek:

RoadRaven
07-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Um... one point about sit bone soreness...

In between your sitbones and your saddle is a solid mass of muscle that takes an awful lot of impact, and loads of squishing...

Its bruised, and until IT toughens up, that muscle mass is gonna feel bruised too...

amylc
07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
I was wondering if the soreness would ever go away! It is nice to know that it should. My sit bones and hands are the biggest factor in how long I am riding right now.....I did order a pair of riding shorts and gloves so maybe that will help.....I am just relieved to know my body will get used to it.

Starfish
07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
In between your sitbones and your saddle is a solid mass of muscle that takes an awful lot of impact, and loads of squishing...Its bruised, and until IT toughens up, that muscle mass is gonna feel bruised too...

That's a very good point. And, maybe someone already mentioned this, too, but I notice that the longer I have been riding, and the stronger my legs, abs and back get, the less sore my hands and tush get as my other muscles can support more of my weight on the bike, longer.