PDA

View Full Version : 2 new records

alpinerabbit
07-09-2007, 12:54 AM
We completed the Engadine Radmarathon (short distance = 97 km) for the second time. We were about 30 mins faster than last year (in the final, flat 20km DBF was pulling a 4-man paceline along at about 35-40kph), plus we were still in shape to attempt the first of two mountains that make up the rest of the longer course - Flüela Pass.

We were thinking next year we may be fit enough to do the long course (210 km) but it probably won't happen. They have very restrictive time cutoffs. We might be able to do it on our own and frankly, since the course is not closed off, it would have about the same feel, just sans the number tag on the back.

We discovered this mountain is a monster - and a bit more than we could really chew. Look at the elevation profile http://alpenrennradtouren.de/hprofil/fluelap.html (coming from the left/east side). Twice you think you're there only to discover another couple of switchbacks. In the end we only had power left for about 6 kph. I saw some people walk and told myself I am not giving up... was all I could do to not quit.

Also some piccies http://alpenrennradtouren.de/bildswiss/fluela.html

Two new records: 2300 meters of climbing, and a new speed record - 68 kph downhill.

P.S. We passed by a serious looking accident. We also saw a rescue helicopter. Today the newspaper said a 50 year old cyclist went over a curve and died. This is very sad and as no car appears to have been involved, makes one wonder: there are many participants who seem extremely competitive and will take a lot of risk. For nothing... why...? And then they die. In a similar event of the same series, a month or so ago, there was a 16 year old who crashed and died.
Also makes me wonder about my new-found courage for speed.

mimitabby
07-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Gee Rabbit
This profile looks an awful lot like hurricane ridge which I just climbed. How was the weather?
I just checked the photos. The photos look like hurricane ridge too!

alpinerabbit
07-09-2007, 06:40 AM
The weather was gorgeous. Bright blue sky with some fluffy clouds. Towards early afternoon it clouded over a bit which was appreciated - it would have been quite hot toiling up that grade.

Ya know Mimi, that's quite funny actually. I met a lady from Sacramento at the rail station telling me she wanted to move here. I was going to suggest it's hardly any different than something like Tahoe or some such place in the states.....

OK with one little difference. Tahoe does not have an 8th century piece of Unesco world cultural heritage around the corner.

http://www.burgenseite.com/faschen/muestair_faces_10.jpg

maillotpois
07-09-2007, 07:10 AM
Wow - great story and pics. You ride in the BEST places!!

mimitabby
07-09-2007, 07:39 AM
yeah, you definitely have us beat with the cultural aspects!! :eek:

RoadRaven
07-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Alpine Rabbit or SpeedRabbit!!!!?

Thanks for the links.... whew... those climbs involve some climbing, huh :p

And the pics ... Thanks Rabbit, good post :)

HappyAnika
07-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Great job on the climbing! That's quite and accomplishment. Thanks for sharing the pictures, what a beautiful area. :)

Tri Girl
07-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Yowzee Alpine- incredible adventure, indeed!! Congrats on setting two new records. The uphills look as scary as the downhills! :eek:
You were flying down the mountain- you just be careful out there. ;)

Thanks for including the pictures- they look like postcards.