PDA

View Full Version : Tool School!

Maine-iac
09-16-2004, 04:47 PM
For all of us grease monkey, wantabees.Something to check out.

http://www.parktool.com/park_tool_school/schoold.shtml

I'm going to my LBS listed to see what more IO can find out.

Hill Slug
09-16-2004, 05:36 PM
I just took this class at the REI in Folsom, CA - just outside of Sacramento. It was pretty good. Learned alot. The instructor was pretty knowledgeable and very mellow.

We patched a tire, broke and repaired a chain, adjusted the front & back deraillers, adjusted the front & back brakes. The instructor took the cluster apart, took one of the pedals off, took the crank apart. I thought we probably could've done those things, but I guess they didn't want to have all those parts around. They had 2 new road bikes and 1 mountain bike set up. He talked about the different cables and housing, cleaning and lubing the chain, grease vs lube, and touched a little on truing the wheel. Didn't really get into bearings too much. He did adjust the headset.

Overall, I liked it since I don't have too much experience in bike maintenance, except for what I read about in this forum and books. I feel alot more comfortable now trying to do some basic stuff. And he sorta took some of the mystery out of deraillers, cables, and pedals, for me at least. I even knew a bit more than a couple of the other guys in the class, which was good for me....;)

The book is good too and easy to read and follow. So now I'm going to work on a friend's bike....wahoo!

Dogmama
09-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Hill Slug

The book is good too and easy to read and follow. So now I'm going to work on a friend's bike....wahoo!

That's the way to do it. Start on a friend's bike so you'll know how to REALLY do it when you work on your own! ;)

Seriously, I'm thinking about doing that too. The closest class is in Phoenix - 120 miles away. So, I'd spend the night & spend the next day shopping...sounds like a tough ticket!