PDA

View Full Version : New from Spokane

lisakinsel
07-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Hi All!

What a great website! I got back on a bike two months ago after a 20 year break and have a lot to learn still!

I see a lot of people from Seattle (what a great place to live) but I don't see any others from Spokane (also a great place to live). Are there any? Speak up!

I want to tell you a little about myself. I am 40 with 2 teenage sons. A co-worker got me to bring my old Target mountain bike to work and go with her on the trail at lunch time. Well, that was all it took. Within 2 weeks I was at my local bike shop and ended up with a new Specialized Sirrus, which I love. I have been riding ever since and have done a couple of flat 50 mile rides and just this past 4th, a 25 mile ride, much of it uphill.(That was an eye opener!) Bottom line, I'm hooked!

I do have an obstacle in my way, one that I never thought of, I have numb fingers in my left hand (I'm left handed too) and the numbness isn't going away. I see a neurologist at the end of the month for a nerve conduction study. I have done all of the things that were suggested; raised my handlebars, installed extenders, have good gloves, etc. I would have thought it would have been health problems such as my asthma, or being out of shape! Ah, who needs fingers anyway? I wanna ride!

Anyway, I am taking this weekend off at the urging of my doctor and let me tell you, it's not easy! I think I have an addiction!

Well, if any of you come to Spokane, make sure you let me know because there is a great group of women out here who love to ride! I look forward to getting to know you all!

teigyr
07-07-2007, 07:48 AM
:D

There are few Spokane people, I think. I've never been there and would love to get over to that side! I'm fairly new to Seattle in the scheme of things so there is so much of this state to see. Not to mention I love excuses to load the bikes for a road trip.

It's nice to meet you! I know what you mean about getting hooked, the same thing happened to me. I started riding around on an older mountain bike and before you knew it, I upgraded and started to wear spandex :eek:

Congratulations on your new hobby and hi!

bikerHen
07-07-2007, 09:31 AM
WHOO HOOO! I told you this was a great site! :D Glad you decided to dive right in. You'll love it. :D bikerHen

Irulan
07-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Wheelsport East hosts non competitive womens' road rides every monday night, I think they leave from Mirabeau park but you might want to call and talk to Tammy to see. Also, "WOW" has group rides, http://www.baddlands.org/wow/events.htm. For mountain biking, www.fttrc.org hosts women's rides also on Monday nights.

lisakinsel
07-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Wheelsport East hosts non competitive womens' road rides every monday night, I think they leave from Mirabeau park but you might want to call and talk to Tammy to see. Also, "WOW" has group rides, http://www.baddlands.org/wow/events.htm. For mountain biking, www.fttrc.org hosts women's rides also on Monday nights.

Hi Irulan,

I haven't been on a ride with the Wheelsport group yet, but that's where I bought my bike and have become very friendly with the Tammy. In fact, BikerHen and I attempted a ride at Trail of the CDA's with her but it was very cold and she had just ridden down Silver Mountain the day before and was not up for it. I've been on a couple of rides with WOW (one in a thunderstorm) and am a member. That's where I am starting to meet all these great people to ride with!