PDA

View Full Version : Bike Computer Rear Wheel Mount

mtbdarby
07-06-2007, 10:52 AM
The computer I use on my hybrid has died. Since it's the one I use on my trainer, I'd like to replace it with a rear mount computer. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles just the basics: mph, trip, max, odometer and average. TIA ladies!

makbike
07-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I have a Sigma 1606L and really like it. You will have to order a rear wheel mount kit but they are pretty inexpensive. I have a Sigma on my recumbent and have recently ordered another rear wheel mount kit so that I can use this little computer on my DF. The Sigma 1606L can also be programed for two bikes and will track your mileage and time for each bike. You simply have to order a wheel 2 rear wheel mount kit to take advantage of this option.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

bikerz
07-06-2007, 01:45 PM
I am a big fan of the CatEye Astrale 8 - it's not wireless, but it has all the stats you are looking for, plus cadence. It's inexpensive ($35-$40), easy to install, and very reliable. It has gotten good reviews across the board from the other gals on the forum. Thumbs up!

melissam
07-06-2007, 02:21 PM
I am a big fan of the CatEye Astrale 8 - it's not wireless, but it has all the stats you are looking for, plus cadence. It's inexpensive ($35-$40), easy to install, and very reliable. It has gotten good reviews across the board from the other gals on the forum. Thumbs up!

+1 for the Astrale 8! A good friend of mine ;) told me that it was easy to install and very reliable. It has lived up to its expectations -- it's great on and off the trainer.

I had tried a VDO wireless that I bought off of eBay, and never could get it to work consistently.

Anyone in the market for a used VDO wireless computer with cadence? :rolleyes:

-- Melissa

VeloVT
07-06-2007, 06:38 PM
I have a Cateye Double Wireless computer:
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/251

with wireless speed & cadence. It has one sensor for both speed & cadence, mounted on your chainstay. Speed magnet is rear wheel mounted.

I love this computer. All the information you want (current speed, current cadence, ride/lap time and distance) on one screen, without having to switch views, and for me at least, it's been super reliable.

Unlike the annoying Vetta I have that routinely blinks out on me during rides.

I paid $180 last year at LBS, but my boyfriend recently scored the same computer for $100 at Nashbar (computer sale + "one day only" 20% off all orders).

bike4ever
07-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Cateye Astrale gets my vote.

wannaduacentury
07-07-2007, 06:26 AM

I second this, I like mine too. Jenn

mtbdarby
07-10-2007, 07:06 AM
This might be a dumb question, but I thought you couldn't go wireless with a rear mount computer because the sensor is too far away from the computer to register. Do you guys really have wireless rear mounted computers???

VeloVT
07-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Yup. The sensor for my Cateye is about twice the size of the kind that mount on your fork. But it's one sensor that picks up both speed (from rear wheel magnet) and cadence (from crankarm magnet) and mounts on the left chainstay.

And it works.

My Vetta, also wireless for speed and cadence, has a fork-mounted speed sensor (to the speed magnet goes on the front wheel) and a chainstay-mounted cadence sensor, and is totally unreliable despite my obsessive fiddling to get the sensors as close to the magnets as possible.

LBTC
07-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Cateye Astrale works fab, and it's pretty inexpensive, too

H&B
~T~

sandra
07-13-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm in the market for one right now myself. I'm considering the CatEye Micro Wireless Bike Computer - CC-MC100W

http://www.amazon.com/CatEye-Micro-Wireless-Bike-Computer/dp/B000AMMQGY/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1/002-4029036-0752026?ie=UTF8&qid=1184341482&sr=8-1

Anybody know anything about these?