PDA

View Full Version : Enumclaw Century Sept 9

Starfish
07-05-2007, 06:37 PM
I can't recall the name, but there is a century in Enumclaw on September 9th put on by the Tacoma Wheelmen. Anyone done it? Doing it this year?

dex
07-05-2007, 07:01 PM
The Headwaters Century? http://www.twbc.org/events/headwaters/

I've thought about it, but never made a decision either way. Right now I'm too wrapped up in the whole STP thing to think beyond next weekend.

teigyr
07-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Looks nice. Looks very nice. Unfortunately, I'm doing a tri that weekend (first one :eek: ) and can't really commit. Dang it!!! I liked the "mostly flat" description :D

Starfish
07-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah, the Headwaters...that's the one. I think it looks nice. If anyone decides to do it, let me know! I won't be making any decisions about it until much closer to the date, but I will keep it in the back of my mind, and it would be fun to meet some TE'ers.

dex
07-05-2007, 08:10 PM
I liked the "mostly flat" description :D

That's the part I liked, too. (And the reason why I'd bookmarked it when I came across it a month or so ago) LOL

East Hill
07-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Oooh! I think I will sign up for that if I'm here that weekend. Perhaps I can finally get an organised century in :) .

I'll be consulting with Mr. East Hill. Perhaps even pry him off that Trek 4300 MTB for this one...

East Hill

Susan126
07-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I usually do that ride! I love the routes! But that is the weekend of my MS 150 in La Conner, Washington. My daughter and I are on a team and we are looking forward to the two day ride! :)

The TWBC has AWSOME support! The rest stops are always fully stocked! And after the ride you get a free strawberry shortcake dessert treat! Mmmmmmmm mmmmmmm good!

mimitabby
07-06-2007, 09:03 AM
hm. flying back from Italy that day. i'd better pass.

orcoz
07-06-2007, 07:30 PM
DH & I are planning to be there. Heck, we live in Enumclaw so we figure we can't miss this ride. We haven't done it before, so I can't tell you about how it is. Based on the Dan Henry's we see in the pavement (from years' past) as we ride around it doesn't look too bad.

Starfish
07-06-2007, 09:06 PM
These are encouraging posts. It sounds fun!

Susan126
07-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Orcoz,

I live in Bonney Lake!!!! :D

I ride Enumclaw all the time. If you ever want to meet up for a ride I would love to ride with you. I ride the 45 mile route of the Headwater Century all the time. One of my favorite rides. I know it blind folded. A few very STEEP CLIMBS. One out of Flaming Geyser straight up towards 169 and into Black Diamond!

PM me if you think you would like to ride with me! I'm free every single weekday through the summer (except the first week in August . . . family vacation). Weekends I usually ride with hubby and daughter.

Oh I would love to do an Enumclaw to Greenwater or to Rainier park entrance some weekday. Anyone interested?????

Sue

Starfish
07-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Orcoz,

A few very STEEP CLIMBS. One out of Flaming Geyser straight up towards 169 and into Black Diamond!

Oh I would love to do an Enumclaw to Greenwater or to Rainier park entrance some weekday. Anyone interested?????

Sue

How steep? 8%? 15%? Big difference! :)

I would love to do that ride with you sometime. Unfortunately, weekdays are pretty rough for me for the next few weeks. What about weekends into the fall?

East Hill
07-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I've persuaded Mr. East Hill that he can manage the century :D . So, I'll be signing up soon.

Susan, how early in the morning would that Enumclaw to Greenwater/Mount Rainier ride be? I could do a bright and early Monday morning (not tomorrow, but perhaps week from Monday) if we could get going by around 6.00 am or so. Any idea how long it would take to get to Greenwater? All the way to Mount Rainier park entrance?

East Hill

Susan126
07-09-2007, 12:54 AM
East Hill,

From the Enumclaw Bike Shop it's 17.8 miles to Greenwater. From the Enumclaw High School to Greenwater it's 19.5 miles. From Enumclaw all the way to the park entrance is 49 miles. So out to the park entrance and back would be almost 100 miles. I guess you could make it as long as you want and turn around when you want. You could make it a 35 mile ride, a 40, 50, 60, up to a 100 mile ride.

You sure like that 6:00 AM time don't you East Hill!? :p I'll see what I can do. I'm more an 8:00 AM morning riser. :D

Out of Flaming Geyser is a 9% grade climb I believe. There is a sign on the road. I will look the next time but I'm pretty certain it is 9%.

East Hill
07-09-2007, 04:24 AM
You sure like that 6:00 AM time don't you East Hill!? :p I'll see what I can do. I'm more an 8:00 AM morning riser. :D

It's not that I like it so much as it's grim reality :mad: . If you have to go to work for 8.00 pm, any later start pretty much means no sleep for that day :( .

So, 6.00 am is a good start time :D .

East Hill