PDA

View Full Version : Firefly anyone?

blurgirl
09-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Hey all, great forum. I've been riding for a little over a year, and ride about 10 hours/week, mtn. and road. Anyway, I am riding on a Selle San Marco Arami Gelaround on the mtb, and I love it, but it's "heavy". My new bike weighs 28.5 pounds and I'm trying to shave about 2 lbs. off of it. SO- I'm looking for a saddle similar to the San Marco Arami Gelaround. The dimensions of that one are 5.51 " wide, 10.71" long. I don't want to go any wider.

I looked at the Damselfly- looks a little to narrow and hard.

What about the Firefly? I searched the forum and didn't see anything specific to the Firefly..any of you women using it? How do you like it??

Thanks!!

Irulan
09-13-2004, 07:34 AM
what all are you doing to shave weight?just curious, my Kona weighs in a 24.5

Irulan

blurgirl
09-13-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Irulan
what all are you doing to shave weight?just curious, my Kona weighs in a 24.5

Irulan

well, let's see. i really love all the components (i picked everything except the wheelset), but i've got to lighten up.

Blur frame- Medium
Front Fork- F80X
Thomson stem and seatpost
Avid Mech disc brakes
SRAM X9 triggers/rear der
Race Face Evolve XC cranks
XT Front Der
Easton EC90 bars
Salsa grips

Here's what I'm lightening up:

Mavic 317-Disc with XT hubs ---> GOING TO SWITCH OUT TO SOMETHING LIGHTER
Saddle- San Marco Arami ---> GOING TO SWITCH OUT TO SOMETHING LIGHTER
Tires- Panaracer Fire XC Pro --> GOING TO PYTHON AIRLIGHTS
Pedals- Time ATAC Alium ---> GOING TO TIME ATAC XS CARBON
Cassette- SRAM sometihng ---> GOING TO XTR

That's all I can think of to lighten up, affordably. See anything that jumps out at you? Any other ideas?

blurgirl
09-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Oh, and I'm working on losing 3-5 pounds myself- it's a cheaper way to lighten up the climbing load ;)

Irulan
09-13-2004, 07:57 AM
I'm not the greatest on components, my bike came set up very nicely (bought it lightly used, cherry condition, from an Xterra racer who owns a bike shop, she didnt' like the fit)

I'd not running discs, and my fork (RS SID ) weighs in almost a pound lighter than anything else out there. My frame is Alu, and I've got carbon ( monkey lights) handlebars, mostly XTR components on the drive train.

There are tradeoffs. the "light" tires wear out really fast. I've trashed two rear wheels with technical riding, using lighter wheel sets.

I keep thinking about a new fork, but I can't bear the thought of adding 1-1.5# with a Marzochhi which is what I really want. Same thing with discs, in my climate they aren't really needed, not a lot of wet/mud so again, the weight weenie in me won't go there for now.

Irulan

tatormc
09-13-2004, 11:44 AM
I love my Firefly saddle! The only other saddle I've had is the one that came on my Giant bike and it wasn't that comfortable so I tried the Firefly and I love it. It has a cutout which makes everything nice and comfortable. And the flames are cute!