PDA

View Full Version : 1" Threaded Suspension Fork

Alex
06-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Well, if that isn't a title that just grabs your attention, I don't know what is! :rolleyes:

I am having my hardtail mtb overhauled this weekend. It's got a 1995 Manitou 4 suspension fork on it. It has a 1" threaded fork/steer tube. It turns out that no one makes a 1" threaded fork for mtb use anymore and I am concerned that the fork isn't going to last much longer. Does anyone have any ideas on how to retrofit the Manitou? It has elastomers. Is there any way to make a new fork work? Everything is at least 1 1/8" now.

I love my bike and don't want to buy a new one. Yes, it's 12 years old, but it's got a sweet titanium frame and I'm emotionally attached! :o

BTW, I have scoured ebay for a replacement, to no avail.

Thanks!

Alex

SalsaMTB
06-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Pretty much you have two options that I can think of.....

1) Trendy higher end....custom rigid from a local builder

2) RST fork. RST doesn't make high end forks though, I think the Omega is top of their line that would work. Their forks don't come with steerer tubes, so you get the fork and select one of their steerer tubes to fit, in your case a 1" threaded.

SadieKate
06-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Hubby says both Manitou and White Bros will make you a 1" steerer. You could have the option of going to threadless if you install a new headset and buy a new stem.

However, if you keep bugging us, we will search the attic for a brand new 1" AMP fork from that era that was never installed. No promises. We think we still have it. Tomorrow is booked completely (at least that portion of the day when we are willing to go into the attic) so remind me again . . . and again . . .and again.

SK, co-owner of a secret bike distributorship that boasts bike shops themselves as customers.

One of these days we might figure out how to sell on ebay.

Alex
06-30-2007, 06:33 AM
SK,

That would be be amazing! Thanks for looking. You know, your Telluride to Moab thread was part of what inspired me to drag my mountain bike out of the garage this week and give it a cleaning that took several hours. :D (That was when I realized that it needed professional attention as I had neither the desire nor the time to repack bearings, etc.)

Salsa, thanks for the info. I'm aware of the RST forks, but I just don't think they are suitable for the type of riding I do.

Alex

Popoki_Nui
07-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Look around for a SunTour MG series fork. (1" threaded, elastomer suspension with adjustable rebound) I recently put a SunTour MG-81 on my 1984 Kuwahara Sierra Grande. It's an excellent fork.
What parts of your fork are worn out? If the lowers and towers are ok and you just need to replace the elastomer suspension, seals etc, I'm told by several LBS's that it is possible to do.
Good luck.

~Sherry.

SadieKate
09-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Alex, check it out!

A brand new uncut, in the box, 1993 1" AMP Research Fork with owner's manual and original invoice. The benefits of sorting and packing 17 years of stuff for a move is you find where you tucked everything "just in case." In this case it was behind all the hockey sticks.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/IMG_0423_1.jpg

I'll send you a PM, but in the next few days we're handing over to a friend a slew of stuff to sell on eBay so if you're interested . . . going, going . . . . . :)

I've only ever seen one of these on eBay and it was already cut and used.

gatorman
09-23-2007, 09:55 AM
hello..

do you dtill hvae that suspension fork for sale? If so i am interested....

e-mail: rtobyrne@cox.net

SadieKate
09-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Just sent you a PM. Essentially, a whole boat load of stuff including that fork went to a friend to sell on eBay for us.