PDA

View Full Version : Started commuting

Ebet
06-29-2007, 05:54 AM
I got a Brompton folder a few weeks ago and have started commuting to work some of the time. It's an adventure that involves catching two trains in between riding 20 miles a day through Los Angeles and Orange Counties. There is a gritty urban highway section over three miles long that requires riding on the sidewalk almost all the way but for some reason I enjoy that part. The little Brompton zips along (well, at least in the morning when I have more energy) and then turns into a small package to fit on the train. One thing I learned was to bring a lot of food to work because you need more calories. The main challenge is that the entire commute takes more than two hours each way. I work at three different locations, all between 60-80 miles from home, so the only fast way to commute is on my motorcycle. The consolation prize though is getting some reading done on the train, and of course getting lots of exercise!

coyote
06-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Wow, you should get the super-commuter award! Those folding bikes are just soo made for that. I lived in Hollywood and I tried to ride a bike around there...to many cars. :eek: I only went out early Sunday mornings :o

extra-vert
06-30-2007, 06:13 AM
:eek:

So out of all those miles, how many are bike miles? I know that what-cha-ma-callit folding bike allows for conveniant train access, but I could never imagine riding a bike like that for any long distance! Can a normal light weight road bike go on the train?

Godspeed to you - that's great commuting like that. I used to commute, but my job requires constantly picking up (construction related) material to jobsites , and I often need to take my pug with me on the road so, not only am I in the car, but it's a gas-guzzling wagon, no less!:eek: But yesterday, not wanting to lose the parking spot in front of my house, I jumped on the bike. I must remember in those all too infrequent, (or maybe not so infrequent times) that it's important to opt for the bike instead of the car - LAZY LAZY LAZY!!! And it sure felt good to be back on the commuter bike for once!

Ebet
06-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks to you both for the positive encouragement.... :-) I guess I am somewhat inured to traffic, having been a motorcycle commuter for years. I still have to remind myself that the bicycle doesn't have the motorcycle's acceleration to get out of problem situations.

The cycling part of the commute is 20 miles round-trip. Fortunately that is split up into six segments so it seems less strenuous (except the last leg, going up those hills - argh). I am not sure how long the entire commute is including the trains but I imagine it's close to 100 miles. The trains are very fast, though. When I take the motorcycle, it's a more direct route so it's about 75 miles each way.

Some folding bikes don't ride well but the Brompton is actually pretty good. It's not a super-fast ride but IMHO it's a good compromise between outstanding foldability and a zippy ride with a mini rear suspension, and even good cargo capacity. There are faster-riding folders or separables (e.g., Moulton, Airnimal, Bike Friday, some Dahons) but they don't fold nearly so quickly or into as small a package. You could definitely take a road bike on the LA Metro but for me that becomes an obstacle on crowded trains. I like to be able to fold the bike and sit down rather than standing to hold up the bike. Also, my folder has a lightweight cover so I can cover it up when it's folded. Usually that's not necessary but there are times when creepy guys start paying a little too much attention to the bike, and I like the option of turning it into a generic-looking package - people don't even know it's a bike when the cover is on. Also, on our local buses, the bus racks only accept two bikes at a time, so if the rack is full, you have to wait for the next bus. All the local buses and trains have to take folding bikes all the time. Lots of people, though, take their road bikes and that seems to work very well for them so I don't want to discourage that in any way. I guess it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks.

Tri Girl
06-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Yowzer, Ebet! You DO get the "Super Commuter" award! 100 miles for work??? I'm spoiled here, and I'm a bit sad because I just gave up my 3 mile commute for a new job 25 miles away (and no commute). :rolleyes:
I'm super impressed at your committment to commuting!!!! I'll bet it's kinda nice breaking up the ride with trains in between. Gives you a little break, and you're able to have some down time. Good for you!!!! :D

carpaltunnel
06-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Ebet, you must be really dedicated to stick to that commute. I admire you.
I started a hybrid commute of sorts this spring, then dropped out for a while: first there was the week before our vacation, when I was hustling to get things done before I left. No time to bike that week. Then two weeks of vacation, then the after-vacation crunch, that took three weeks... then I helped with Bible school after work... one thing after another.

I had made up my mind when B school was over yesterday that Monday I'm getting back into my commute routine. (Which was so new when I dropped it that I can't really say it was a routine.) Seeing your post was just what I needed. I'm resolved to get right back in there and not let the interruption become permanent. Thanks! :D

Ebet
07-01-2007, 05:35 AM
Ooh, I just checked on a map and it's about 85 miles round-trip, not 100. Didn't intend to exaggerate. We don't have a very extensive public transportation system (especially not the light rail part) for a metropolitan area this size so using public transportation here often means going a little out of your way, but I guess it wasn't as far out of the way as it seemed. I am only doing this semi-bicycle commute 1-2 times a week so it's not as difficult as an every-day commitment.