PDA

View Full Version : More Cowbell!!!

bouncybouncy
06-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Cowbell Challenge 2007 - 12 Hour Solo Race
Charlotte, NC

I think I managed to start this race with the least amount of axiety I have displayed! I was calm, very little nerves and actually looking forward to getting out there on the dirt. Chris was riding a team-duo with his long time riding buddy, John from Raleigh. The two raced well, kept the team breathing down their necks the ENTIRE day just far enough behind to tease them yet never extremely sweat the issue! They placed 5th in a field of 15.

The race began with a loop around the Whitewater Center on loose gravel with plenty of room to separate the raceheads from the wusses (exactly who would be a wuss embarking on a 6 or 12 hour mountain bike race?) and into the singletrack....woooohoooo!!! This is one of the best trails I have been on since Quiet Waters (of course that being my "home trail" I am a little partial) First a tricky bend in the trail across a sketchy rock pit...wooosh on some twisty singletrack separated by bridges. Up a rocky hill that spits you onto a rooty turn then squeeze between some shoe ripping boulders. PLOP...over a drop and onto more sweet benched singletrack. WOW is this fun!!! Did someone say Charlotte was flat? cause they saved all the hills for their mtbike trails!!! Lots of fun turns and drops and woops and roots and logovers and even a pedestrian crossing for the boaters to keep you awake all day! In the middle of the twists, drops, woops & doos was a brutal, dry clay fireroad climb to scatter the weary and the tired...just in time for a great descent with strategically placed roots and ruts to make you pay attention to your line.

And just when you thought your loop was coming to an end the dirt just keep coming...Sharp turn to your right down a wily double-drop made difficult with an abrupt turn you must accomplish in order not to end up in the drink (ok...mud hole, but who was watching???) and up a silly narrow section with a railing for those not quite straighten out by the sudden change in direction! And to my surprise a lovely little (ok...it was quite an incline with very little room for mis-calculation) carpeted switchback...YEAH I said carpet! as in rug...hehe...wonder who they get to drag the Hoover out here on maintenance day???

Back to enjoying the single track and BOOM...a precarious long rooty climb followed by some lung/leg burning switchbacks (which I hear at about lap 4 is usually run the opposite direction...would make for some fun downhill!!!) The final little stretch was seemingly smooth and had a little downward angle to help get you back to the start/finish...refuel on some gu, gatorade, salami, pasta, cookies, advil, oranges, bananas, whatever else you can think of that sounds appetizing when the last thing you want to do is eat...pet the puppies...kiss the hubby (if he is in between laps) and get your butt back out there!

A few things I learned:

1 - Once again...I could have pushed a wee bit harder! I think I had enough in me to do one more lap.

2 - Do one more lap even if you swear you can't.

3 - Do not take such long breaks.

4 - Pedal more...

5 - Don't let your thighs make contact with your saddle (seat) rails while under power lines!!!! ooooo...the shock!!!!! OUCH

6 - uh? I guess besides the fact that I probably had more umfph in me than I pushed...there was not any major lessoned learned.

I do know now how I will go into the next race and how to perform my breaks...I absolutely cannot wait for another 12 hour race!!! I had the most fun torturing myself on my bike I have had since I used to steal my brothers bike and try to jump little dirt jumps in the field behind our house!

6th Place - 7 laps

# 12 LAURIE NEUBERT 11:40:21 1: 1:18:15 1:18:15 2: 1:29:31 2:47:46 3: 1:30:16 4:18:01 4: 1:38:51 5:56:52 5: 1:41:47 7:38:38
6: 1:55:23 9:34:01 7: 2:06:20 11:40:21

pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurieallyn/sets/72157600535758959/

Zen
06-28-2007, 11:08 AM
5 - Don't let your thighs make contact with your saddle (seat) rails while under power lines!!!! ooooo...the shock!!!!! OUCH

WHAT:eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!

indysteel
06-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Bouncybouncy, Great job!

I love the title of your thread. That's my favorite SNL post of all time; I cry everytime I see it.

"I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

Tri Girl
06-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Awesome ride Bouncybouncy!!!! VERY impressive!!!! You 8 and 12 hour mtn bike mommas are just amazing- I can't believe you can do that!!! Great race report- thanks for sharing.

You can get shocked under power lines??? Huh... now I'm gonna look out the next time we ride out near the power plant. Freaky deaky!

And that, too, is one of my all-time favorite SNL skits. Gotta love Will in his teeny shirt and Chris Walken. Hilarious! :D

spokewench
06-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Congrats - sounds like a great time!

Yeah, there is 24 hour race in AZ - The Old Pueblo and it has power lines that run right over head on an uphill part of the course. You keep getting shocked if your leg gets too close to the rails! Lovely, little tweaks!

I don't know about you gals, but when I'm tired, my legs tend to wander more!. At least it keeps you awake at night!

spoke:D