PDA

View Full Version : Any runners doing a duathlon?

shawnada
06-27-2007, 08:41 PM
I am doing my first duathlon in Portland in July. Anyone out there that competes in du's and do you have any advice?

luvs2ride
06-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi there-
I haven't done any du's but I am very interested. They seem to be hard to find. Actually, looking for one here in Southern California. I'll be watching your post to see what's said. I've been "addicted" to running a few years now but after taking up cycling this year and completing my first century, I'm now "addicted" to the bike. Now I'm trying to keep up my miles in both areas . . not always easy! Good luck on your du!

Blessings!
Susan

Kimmyt
06-28-2007, 02:48 AM
you might find some here, they're not seperated dus from tris, but are sorted by state and you could probably find some in your area...

http://www.trifind.com/

anakiwa
06-28-2007, 05:09 AM
I'd love to do duathlons (I'm a slow swimmer), but there aren't many around here. Have fun at it for me.

Tri Girl
06-30-2007, 09:19 AM
I do du's when I can't find tri's (although I really like to get all my running out of the way at once ;) ).
The best advice is to make sure you do a couple brick workouts a week (running right off the bike). That's the best way to get those muscle fibers used to the sensation of running after cycling. I also like to throw in a mini du every now and then to simulate the run-ride-run fatigue your muscles feel. I still have yet to figure out just how hard I can push on the bike and still have enough juice to finish strong (usually I go too hard on the bike and then the second run is slow, or I go out too fast and then the bike and 2nd run are slow or I'll be conservative for the first 2, then have too much juice in the tank when I finish). Such a hard science to perfect (for me, anyway).

Trifind is a good place to find du's. Also you can go to the USAT website for listings of USAT sanctioned events (including tris and dus). www.usatriathlon.org Click on events- then go to event calendar.

northstar
07-10-2007, 02:31 PM
There are lots of du's in Minnesota. I am planning to do my first in September. It seems more accessible than triathlon for me because I don't have anywhere to practice the swimming. (Too cheap for a gym!)