PDA

View Full Version : Sweating-- anyone have this problem?

Kimmyt
06-27-2007, 08:47 AM
So, I've gotten pretty darn comfortable with my 2-3x weekly 3 mile runs and have done some longer ones (4-5mi) on the weekends. But there is one part of my workout that seems to limit my ability to do longer distances.

The other day I did a nice 4 mile run on the treadmill and I felt... great. Except for that one thing. It's not my lungs, because even into mile 3.5 my HR was even at a nice 150-160bpm and my breathing was unlabored. And it's not my legs, because they're rarely the things that let me down.

It was the heat. I was inside, on a treadmill. And yeah it's better when the temps are cooler and I'm outside with a breeze, but the gym was air conditioned. But the same thing happened to me that always happens when I run, and that is that my face gets beet red and feels like an explosive tomato. It feels HOT. And because of that I feel like I must stop running, even though my heartrate and my breathing and my legs don't seem to agree. I've also noticed that I don't seem to sweat, at all, out of my face. Everywhere else, yeah. I'm wondering if this feeling of heat collecting in my face is because of the no sweat thing? I'm plenty hydrated, as is evidenced by my soaked shirt and shorts after a run, but my face is just bone dry, like theres no sweat glands there.

Anyone else suffer from the same thing? Any tips? Am I just gonna have to get used to running through that feeling of explosive tomato face? Will it ever get better?

K.

Eden
06-27-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't run, but I experience the same thing cycling. I turn bright red when hot and it tends to linger for a while too. Sometimes I think I've gotten sunburned, but it receeds after a couple of hours. It runs in my family - I seem to have gotten this tendency from my mom, who turns red just when it gets hot outside.... I don't always notice it myself, but sometimes people ask me if I am OK.

Grog
06-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm like this too. In my case it's accompanied by rosacea. Much worse when it's warm and when I'm running (for some reason cycling is a lot easier for me). I try to exercise in the early morning hours.

Sorry to say that it probably won't really get better....

HillSlugger
06-28-2007, 11:44 AM
When you are on the treadmill can you try misting your face with water to see if it helps? It might point you in the right direction.

Kimmyt
06-29-2007, 05:46 AM
Yeah, usually when I run in organized races I will take water cups and dump them on my head, and that seems to help. On the treadmill sometimes when I have a towel I can wipe my face and even though theres no sweat on it, it feels better after that.

The other day I did another ~4 mile run and my face didn't feel nearly so bad. I was running the same pace/distance so I don't know why it felt better this time. I will have to pay attention to patterns and see if I can figure the problem out.

Thanks for your help ladies!

K.

bmccasland
06-29-2007, 05:55 AM
I'm in hot muggy country, even worked up a good sweat taking the dog for a walk last night. Essentially your body is trying real hard to cool itself, and since your head and face are highly vascular it shows a lot.

I find a damp wet washcloth helps (post walking), and while riding, squirting water throught the holes of my helmet. Actually soaking my head after any outdoor activity works pretty well. Cool off those blood vessels.

Tri Girl
06-29-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm a beet-red head exploding tomato also.
I can do a 5K in the middle of winter and look like I just ran across the desert in the middle of summer. No matter what pace I run (speedy or slow) I get the "I'm dying- help me" head look. I sweat A LOT out of my head tho, so I don't have the dry face problem. I can't wear hats when it's hot because it holds too much heat in and I really DO want to die. But then again, I'm a big sweater anyway when I exercise. Just ask my dri-fit clothes.

I guess I don't have a point here- just that you're not alone. Hope you can figure out what causes it to fluctuate like it did the other day. :)

pooks
06-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm a beet-red exploding tomato with rosecea, too, alas!

I have struggled trying to find skin care products that don't cause the rosacea to flare, but when I'm exerting myself at all, I'm red as a fat delicious apple!

I am thinking that misting your face is the greatest idea, especially if you put ice in the water! But you may just have to learn to deal with it. And if you do figure out a work around -- SHARE!