PDA

View Full Version : Turning and Signaling on a Steep Hill

nicole309
06-27-2007, 08:34 AM
To get home from work each day I must go down a fairly steep hill. In the middle of this long steep hill is my street. It takes both hand on the brakes to make the right hand turn on my street. Although it is residential, there is often a car waiting to pull out, so I must make a pretty tight turn. My question is how do I signal that I am making a right hand turn when I need to keep my hands on my brakes to make the turn. As soon as I let up I am flying again. I try to really slow down early. No, there is not other route I can take to get home. I don't want to piss off every driver on my street by not signaling. I have thought about stopping completely before the turn and getting off the bike and walking the corner. This seems silly however....

mimitabby
06-27-2007, 08:39 AM
yeah, we need a turn signal on our bikes.
I have basically the same problem. i can take my hand off to signal right (or left)
but only for a second. Did the car behind me see me signal for that second?

Eden
06-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Now, while I don't suggest not signaling as a regular practice - our WA state traffic laws do say that you do not have to signal if conditions make it too dangerous to take a hand off of the handlebars. If its steep like that I usually try to signal early and quickly.

coyote
06-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Is it possible (or practicle) to signal before you put your hands on the brakes? I saw a turn signal light at the LBS but I do not seem to come up with anything on the web. It may have just been a novalty item.

bikerz
06-27-2007, 09:30 AM
I have the same problem on one of my regular rides, except it is a left turn into street that widens into a parking area for a community pool, and the lot is pretty gravelly too. The road is so steep there is no way I can signal, and I definitely want both hands on the bars to be prepared for the gravel. And then I need to be pedalling again very soon because once I make the turn there is a short steep rise to get over. It is very hair-raising! :eek:

What I try to do is take the full lane on the curve before the turn, and move to the left of the lane and broadcast my intentions by tipping my head that way if there are any cars in sight.

BleeckerSt_Girl
06-27-2007, 09:35 AM
I live on a VERY steep hill. As long as you've been keeping to a reasonable downhill slowish speed, you should be able to stop your bike completely using only your front brake. Your back brake actually does not have anywhere near the stopping power as your front brake. Keep your speed slow, then signal with your rear-brake hand while still using your front brake the whole time you are signalling. You may not believe it, but you can use front brake only on even the steepest hills, and most certainly for a small portion of it while you are signalling. Try it.
If you want to be REALLY safe, stop your bike right before the turn if there are any cars around. No need to get off your bike and walk the turn, just stop and wait until there are no cars around and then continue to make the turn when it's all clear. Situations like this really are easier and safer when you use a mirror as well to know ahead of time what is coming up behind you as you are descending a steep hill.

spokewench
06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
I live on a VERY steep hill. As long as you've been keeping to a reasonable downhill slowish speed, you should be able to stop your bike completely using only your front brake. Your back brake actually does not have anywhere near the stopping power as your front brake. Keep your speed slow, then signal with your rear-brake hand while still using your front brake the whole time you are signalling. You may not believe it, but you can use front brake only on even the steepest hills, and most certainly for a small portion of it while you are signalling. Try it.
If you want to be REALLY safe, stop your bike right before the turn if there are any cars around. No need to get off your bike and walk the turn, just stop and wait until there are no cars around and then continue to make the turn when it's all clear. Situations like this really are easier and safer when you use a mirror as well to know ahead of time what is coming up behind you as you are descending a steep hill.

Be very careful braking with only the front brake As Lisa says it is your strong braking brake so it can also take you right over the handlebars on a steep downhill. Do not GRAB the front brake, just feather it to slow you down. I would actually probably prefer to slightly slow myself to signal so I probably would use my rear break, feathering it as well. I don't need to stop to signal, only to slow down a bit so I can signal before making the turn. At least when you grab it, only the rear end of the bike will come around on you and you just release it a bit and the bike should come back to you.

nicole309
06-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the suggestions ladies...
I have tried using only the front brake, but that does not seem to be enough to stop me to make the corner. It does slow me down significantly, but not enough. If I were to signal before I started braking, I would be signalling for the wrong street!! I think most of the people on my street know that I am turning there as they see me bike past their house 2-6 times a day, but I just want to make sure I am safe.

BleeckerSt_Girl
06-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Nichole, you need to stay very slow as you go down that steep hill if you have a turn during the hill. Start slowing down WAY before your turn. Do not let your bike pick up a lot of speed on the downhill. And naturally, don't slam on your brakes! :rolleyes: Think of the whole hill as part of the turn process.
And of course- don't EVER depend on drivers "knowing" that you always turn there. All it takes to kill you is just one clueless driver barreling along that street which is unfamiliar to them and not paying attention.
Never do anything in a way that makes you feel unsafe.

Pedal Wench
06-27-2007, 11:17 AM
I think most of the people on my street know that I am turning there as they see me bike past their house 2-6 times a day, but I just want to make sure I am safe.

But what about folks visiting them, or the repair man, or the UPS driver... you get my point? Slow down enough to be able to signal -- if you're going slow enough to make the turn, you should be able to signal.

I've got a turn like this on one of the group rides that I do - my problem is that if I slow down enough to be able to signal, I'll get dropped right after the turn.

nicole309
06-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Believe me I do plan ahead for this turn. I slow way down about two blocks before my turn. The problem is if I let my hand off the brake long enough to signal I can't make the turn quite so tight and this causes me to go into the other lane. Very dangerous! Especially when there is a car coming up the street.

Thorn
06-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I agree with Eden (and WA and WI law)...if it is too dangerous to signal, you don't have to. Especially in this case. From what I'm reading, the failure to signal is only going to cause the motorist to wait a little bit longer, but signaling could cause you to lose control of the bike. This is a perfect example of when you don't signal.

nicole309
06-27-2007, 01:02 PM
I agree with Eden (and WA and WI law)...if it is too dangerous to signal, you don't have to. Especially in this case. From what I'm reading, the failure to signal is only going to cause the motorist to wait a little bit longer, but signaling could cause you to lose control of the bike. This is a perfect example of when you don't signal.

Thanks, this is good information to know. I had no idea this actually was the law in WA or anywhere for that matter. Although, I guess I am less worried about getting a ticket than I am about my safety. Since I am making a right turn it is only a short wait for someone on my street. Someone coming up behind me should be waiting anyway if they are also turning right.

TrekJeni
06-27-2007, 01:50 PM

Likewise, the law is the same here in Ohio. Do what is practical. This is what we tell our students.

Jeni
League of American Bicyclist's Certfied Instructor #1718

anakiwa
06-28-2007, 04:45 AM
I have the same problem- except it's a left turn. I go around a major corner on a busy road on a big downhill- then I have to turn left. I take the lane, and I therefore can't slow down too much (don't want to hold up traffic any worse than I already am). For me, the need to keep both hands on the brakes is as much about balance as anything else (and in my case I'd be signalling with my left hand). Usually, I don't feel comfortable taking my hand off to signal (and I guess I kind of assume they'll figure out that if I'm just to the right of the yellow line, that I'm out there to turn). Sometimes I'll point with a finger (more or less keeping my hand on the drops), but I'm not sure if anyone actually sees that.

kfergos
07-27-2007, 08:45 AM
MA law is the same -- signal when practical, but not when it's dangerous. I have a downhill followed by a sharp left turn, and I rarely signal for that turn. Better to make the turn safely than lose control while signaling.