PDA

View Full Version : numb when riding

pumpkinhead
06-26-2007, 07:00 AM
My crotch area and pubic area are very uncomfortable when riding. Is this normal? Cara

Eden
06-26-2007, 08:01 AM
No! some amount of discomfort when you are first starting to ride is inevitable, but it shouldn't be more than soreness over your sitbone areas and if you ride regularly (more than just once or twice a week) then you should acclimatize yourself and stop feeling sore after a few weeks. Chafing or numbness is generally a sign that your saddle and your body do not meet in the places that they should, or rather meet in places that they shouldn't. Also - if you are not wearing cycling specific shorts the seams in your clothing could be causing considerable irritation.

jobob
06-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Pumpkinhead, first of all, welcome to TE.

Please take a few minutes to look around the post on this site, and play around with the "search" function. The three questions you posted in rapid succession have been discussed a lot here. I think you might find some good information.

Again, welcome.

RoadRaven
06-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey there Pumpkin, welcome...

This might be a silly question, but are you standing or wriggling occasionally on your seat?
If you have any body part in one place with pressure on it for a while it goes numb... you know, sitting crosslegged and your foot goes to sleep...
I go numb sometimes when i am very focused on my ride, and forget to move about...

If you are relieving the pressure as you ride then no its not normal... and as jo suggests, do a search, there is a great wealth of wisdom and experience on these boards

pumpkinhead
06-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks to those that responded. Obviously I did not know there was a place to search previous topics until others replied. Anyway...I posted in different places after I realized I should have done so under a specific category. Thanks for making me feel so welcome....sorry I did it wrong.

RoadRaven
06-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Do let us know if the issue resolves itself, pumkin, won't you?

And do remember to wriggle a bit as you ride :p

And don't be sorry - TE has grown huge since I first joined and extra forums have been added and sometimes it is tricky to find exactly what you are looking for...