PDA

View Full Version : Broken Spokes

Sky
09-09-2004, 05:53 AM
I was about 10 miles from home when I heard something pop and then my tire started rubbing the frame. Fortunately I had family nearby that gave me a lift home. Come to find out I'd broken 2 spokes on my back wheel. I've never had that happen before. I don't think I'm exceptionally rough with my bike although I took dirt roads all the way there.

I'm kind of afraid of that happening again sometime. Is there any maintenance or inspection I should be doing of the spokes? Should I be avoiding those potholes? :D

Trek420
09-09-2004, 06:18 AM
when was the last time you trued your wheels or had them trued?

Irulan
09-09-2004, 07:40 AM
it's easy to check for loose spokes - run your hands around the spokes and you just feel which ones are loose and which ones are tight.

Irulan

smurfalicious
09-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Got a ride home? My friends just take the broken one and wrap it around a neighboring spoke. Kyven has it down to an art. Heh, his dad gets him those Mavic Crossmax SL wheels he better stop busting so many!

MomOnBike
09-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Spokes break. Fact o'life. Rear spokes break more often.

When you think about it, those poor spokes really get a workout, so it's no wonder that metal fatigue gets them in the end.

We've had a rash of spoke breakage this summer for some reason. What we do is just ride home sitting lightly in the saddle and take the wheel into the LBS the next day. I don't do spokes (yet).

If I had the wheel rubbing, I don't know what I'd do, probably just cuss more creatively on the ride home - and tell myself I'm doing hill training.

BTW, if you go to bike touring sites, the pinging sound you hear as you log on is the sound of overloaded spokes breaking. Bike tourists often take along emergency replacement spokes (kevlar?), but I don't think they'd be worth the effort for day trips.

annie
09-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Sky,

Here's a bike shop perspective on your broken spoke wheel..........
One, two spokes, get the wheel trued,
Three or more spokes broken, a sign that the entire wheel COULD fail. Not worth it, get a new one.

What type of bike, wheels? If the bike fits you and is suited for the type of riding you do, the wheels /spokes should be good for many seasons of riding.

annie