PDA

View Full Version : Overtaining question

LiquidFeet
06-24-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm wondering if I'm overtraining. Here's what I'm doing, and why I'm wondering if I'm doing something I shouldn't do.

I am riding my mountain bike every day, probably 6 out of every 7 days. I'm fairly new to this. I ride for 2 to 2 1/2 hours every time I ride, maybe 30 minutes of that on the road to get to the woods and back. The rest of the time I spend in the woods, mostly on single tracks. I love the narrow trails with twisty-turns and ups and downs and logs across the trail and roots and rocks and stream crossings and scary technical stuff that requires granny gear. I have to get off and walk up and down the hills sometimes, but mostly I can I just haul myself up the hills by quad strength. This is strenuous for me, whether I'm walking the bike or riding it. I'm getting better at negotiating the obstacles. Clearly my balance on the bike is improving. But I'd like to think that I'm getting stronger, but here's the catch.

My quads burn, burn, burn. They burn when I leave the house, they burn after the ride, they burn when I walk up the stairs in my house. They burn when I drive my car, when I sit for lunch, and when I go to bed. The only time they don't burn is after I get warmed up on my ride and I'm torquing along the trails. I take a lot of Ibuprophen.

I want to get stronger, not just better at balance on this bike. But am I overdoing it? How do I know if I need to take more days off?

And if I need to take days off, what do I do instead of riding the darn bike? I LOVE LOVE LOVE to ride this bike. It's so sad to think that I'm going to need to take more days off, but I fear that's the cold hard truth. I'm old (57) by the way, so my body takes longer (so they say) to recover from a workout.

Any thoughts out there on overtraining?

kelownagirl
06-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Sounds like a lot to me. :)

I was doing the same thing. I had to cut back. Getting old sucks.

mimitabby
06-24-2007, 06:11 PM
i was doing the same thing on my road bike during ride to work month.

the ladies here told me to ride GENTLY for 1 week, NOTHING strenuous at all.
The burning went away.

Good luck and have fun taking it easy. It's not easy to take it easy.

fatbottomedgurl
06-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Sounds like you need a 12 step program.

Just kidding! But one thing you should do (besides cutting back a little) is stretch, stretch, stretch. Especially those quads. Before and after riding.

rocknrollgirl
06-26-2007, 02:53 AM
First off, the increase in strength comes during the recovery, not during the workout. You have to have rest or you will not get stronger.

The recovery from mt biking is NOT the same as from road riding. It is harder on your body, and you will need more recovery. It sounds like you are doing a lot. How about some cross training a few days. Give those legs a rest. More is not always better.

Keep us posted on your progress......

Grog
06-26-2007, 06:52 AM
I find that I have that same type of leg pain when I seriously increase mileage running. (I don't mountain bike.) Or when I start cycling hard on hilly routes AND run a lot the same week.

Listen to the girls! Recovery happens when you rest. Give yourself a chance. Crosstrain with other sports. Go for an EASY spin on the road... Anything that works for you.

BikerJen
07-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I agree with the rest thing. I was off of my mountain bike and road bike for about 8 days because of vacation. Took an old, clunker bike to the beach with me. Today I rode 15 miles on the road and felt good with fresh legs. I have a mountain bike race on the 15th and want to better my time from last year. I raced beginner and will do so again. The course is about 8 - 9 miles I think, I finished it in 1:02:57. :D

luv'nAustin
07-02-2007, 08:36 PM
I agree with the other posts. You must rest and recover to get stronger. It takes time for the muscles to repair. How about nutrition? Do you eat a recovery meal or have a recovery drink after your workouts? If taken at the right time it can really aid in the recovery process.

Good luck and be smart.

SadieKate
07-02-2007, 09:05 PM
i was doing the same thing on my road bike during ride to work month.

the ladies here told me to ride GENTLY for 1 week, NOTHING strenuous at all.
The burning went away.

Good luck and have fun taking it easy. It's not easy to take it easy.Yes, we had to be quite firm with Mimi. Are we going to have to do the same for you? :D

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=15776&highlight=mimi

Read up on recovery and periodization. All rides should not be the same length and intensity. You will not build muscle or fitness unless you have recovery time.