PDA

View Full Version : Green River/Interurban question

dex
06-22-2007, 09:23 AM
I've not ventured south with my bike yet, but I'm looking for something longish, but also easy-ish, to do this weekend. (The hills on Bainbridge Island kicked my butt pretty hard last weekend, so I want a little break.) What are these trails like? Crowded on the weekends (relative to the Burke-Gilman/Sammamish, which are the only other ones I've ridden on)?

Any other suggestions for a flat to rolling ride of longish length (50-80 miles)? I'm willing to drive up to about 1.5 hours away to do it--for reference, I'm on Capitol Hill in Seattle.

Or anyone want to come with? (Um, I should mention that I'm not a speedy rider. Think of me like a turtle...big and plodding, but I'll get to my destination eventually.)

nicole309
06-22-2007, 09:36 AM
http://www.peninsulatrailcoalition.com/index.htm

This is a great, mostly flat trail. It was an old railroad grade. There are however two very short and steep hills on either side of a creek that runs through the trail. I just walk them, it only takes two minutes.
There is also great road riding all over in the Port Townsend area. Check out these great maps as well.

http://www.ptbikes.org/maps/index.html

mimitabby
06-22-2007, 10:11 AM
the title of this is green river/ interurban

those are great trails! (and flat)

dex
06-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks!

I'll have to check out some of the peninsula stuff for when I have time to really get out of town. My schedule has been so hectic lately that just carving out time to ride has become a challenge. I know I can get at least one full day to myself this weekend, so I'm trying to make the most of it by spending the time with my bike.

teigyr
06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
I am also interested in the other stuff. I always enjoy finding new trails! Unfortunately, I can't get to the first link but maybe it's my work computer.

I don't know if you could get up to those kind of miles on the Green River/Interurban without going on some roads but I could be wrong. If you go on the Green River, there are some spots where it ends then picks back up. It isn't bad but the first few times I rode it, I couldn't figure out where to pick it back up! It isn't clearly marked.

Hmmm. If you go out next weekend (sunday, in particular because I work saturdays!) I'd be happy to ride them with you :D

East Hill
06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Or, Cedar River Trail, which starts in Renton (by Gene Coulon Park) and runs all the way out to Maple Valley. I think it's 18 miles one way, and you could ride from Auburn Super Mall to the the end of the Interurban, then double back and head for CRT, then back to Auburn Super Mall...

East Hill

Thel
06-22-2007, 10:27 AM
(Lurker status...OFF!)

I'm a very new rider myself, and the Green River Trail was my first ride longer than 20 miles, just about a month ago...I really liked it a lot! Compared to the BG Trail, it was practically deserted. I mean, there were plenty of people out enjoying the sunny Saturday, but nowhere near the crowding of the Burke Gilman. I'd only planned to go south halfway or so and turn around, but I was enjoying the river trail so much I went all the way to the intersection with the Interurban for about a 38-mile round trip from my house in Rainier Beach. It's a nice flat ride by the river with quite a few parks along the way...I definitely took my time enjoying the scenery, and will definitely be taking that trail again.

And just this morning on another forum I found a list of southern King County routes (http://www.seattlebiketours.org/members/maps/king_county_south.html) that I bookmarked...maybe that will be as useful for you as I hope it will be for me.

Have fun!

dex
06-22-2007, 10:41 AM
I have no problem riding multiple out-and-backs to get in the miles, really. My brain is so comfortable with routine that I don't get bored very easily, especially when I'm on my bike. I did find a map a couple of weeks ago (it's on my laptop at home) that had a route using some combination of those trails and some roads to get in about 64 miles...but I don't remember the details now.

f you go out next weekend (sunday, in particular because I work saturdays!) I'd be happy to ride them with you :D

I can definitely mark next Sunday on my calendar to ride. Let's do it. :D

Or, Cedar River Trail, which starts in Renton (by Gene Coulon Park) and runs all the way out to Maple Valley. I think it's 18 miles one way, and you could ride from Auburn Super Mall to the the end of the Interurban, then double back and head for CRT, then back to Auburn Super Mall...

I'm going to check that out. Thanks!

teigyr
06-22-2007, 11:44 AM
I can definitely mark next Sunday on my calendar to ride. Let's do it. :D

You got it! I marked it in my calendar also. I'm familiar with some trails but not others, I'm sure we can muddle through ok. Will be an adventure!

East Hill
06-22-2007, 08:38 PM
What time Sunday? The 24th is the Tour de Pierce, so not this Sunday, but perhaps 1st July?

East Hill

teigyr
06-22-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm thinking the 1st, I can't do the 24th AND it is supposed to rain :mad: Us SoCal natives tend to melt ;)

Am open re the time on the 1st. Dex?

Susan126
06-23-2007, 07:45 AM
What trail are you two riding on July 1st? I may come if that's ok with you two? Is it the Green River/Interurbarn? Or the Cedar River? I've never been on the Cedar River.

East Hill
06-23-2007, 10:25 AM
teigyr and I are going to ride the Cedar River Trail this Tuesday (the 26th), but starting at 6.00 am. It looks as if we could do it on the Sunday, July 1st as well. The really early start is not so important for me on the Sunday, so perhaps more like 8.00 am?

I can definitely be on the Cedar River Trail at 8.00 am on July 1, if anyone would like to join me!

The CRT is flat all the way out to Maple Valley. The return trip is made by riding SE Wax Road, turns into SE 240th, then onto my local MUP, the Big Soos Creek Trail. From there down the hill back to Renton. Or, if anyone would rather, perhaps start and finish at BSC? It's about 26 miles for the RT.

East Hill

Susan126
06-23-2007, 10:46 AM
I would love to join you two but getting me out of bed so early! Where do you park? Inside Gene Coulon Park? I bet it's quiet and peaceful so early in the morning. I will think about this all weekend long now! :confused: LOL

teigyr
06-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Sue, it isn't as difficult as you'd think. I am NOT a morning person but that early is too early to be tired. It's more a dazed feeling but not horrible and the company is certainly charming :D

Definitely think about it. And to think, you can be home early and have the rest of the day to take naps!

Susan126
06-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Very good points, Teigyr. I will definitely think about joining you two early birds. I will give a definite "yes" or "no" on Monday.

dex
06-23-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm completely open on time on the 1st. It sounds like 8 a.m. is what works for you guys, so that's fine with me.

I wish I could do early weekday rides, but since I work with a bunch of people who like to put 8:30 a.m. meetings on my calendar, that's really just a dream. :rolleyes:

East Hill
06-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Now, where to meet on July 1st, at 8.00 am?

Gene Coulon Park?

Cedar River Park?

Big Soos Creek Park (the 208th end)?

East Hill

HeatherErin
06-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Oooh - me too? Just let me know where to be! :)

East Hill
06-25-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm voting for the Big Soos Creek start/end, but I'll see how everyone else feels :D .

East Hill

mimitabby
06-25-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm voting for Coulon park!

dex
06-25-2007, 11:06 AM
My vote would be for Coulon. That's because I accidentally stumbled across it this weekend when I was out driving around and completely lost. (I, um, get lost easily...)

East Hill
06-25-2007, 11:41 AM
I think I'll go with the flow and say....Coulon Park. What's the easiest place to meet there?

East Hill

mimitabby
06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
maybe where the food is?:D

Susan126
06-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Have fun tomorrow morning on your 6:00 AM ride East Hill and Teigyr!

I just don't think I will be able to get up so early :( But I will be on my bike tomorrow! Just a tad bit later than 6:00 AM :o

Enjoy!

East Hill
06-25-2007, 09:34 PM
It's only early if you have to get up for that time. For me, it's late!

Love my 4.30 am end time :( .

Not!

East Hill

East Hill
06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
maybe where the food is?:D

That sounds good to me.

So, 8.00 am, this coming Sunday, the 1st of July.

Gene Coulon Park, with the ride to be out to Maple Valley and back through the East Hill incorporating Big Soos Creek part of the way, then back down the East Hill to Gene Coulon.

East Hill

teigyr
06-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Excellent :D

Susan126
06-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey, would it be ok to bring along my hubby? My daughter and I were going to join you gals this Sunday at 8:00 AM at Gene Coulon Park but then hubby said he wanted to get a ride in.

I could let him borrow one of my "pink" jerseys! If it will help :p Of course I don't think it would fit him. He's a big guy!

Maybe we'll just ride Black Diamond or Enumclaw.

The weather is supposed to start getting nicer and nicer starting tomorrow. By next Friday . . . middle to upper 80s! :cool: Get your sunglasses ready ladies! I believe summer will arrive, as usual, right after the Fourth!

teigyr
06-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Sue,

Mine is coming along as he also wanted to ride. The more the merrier?

Jane

East Hill
06-30-2007, 01:42 AM
Fine with me! I still haven't convinced Mr. East Hill to join us, but you never know.

East Hill

Susan126
06-30-2007, 06:05 AM
Glad to hear another guy will be joining us! It's going to be a beautiful weekend ladies! :D Right now Joe and I are preparing to go mountain biking with friends at 10:00 AM at Tiger Mountain off of hwy 18. Jackie (daughter) and Aaron (son) are spending some brother sister time together this afternoon. Both are home from college for the summer. I think they are going to climb Mount Peak, go out to lunch, and the mall. :p

Jackie did try to talk me out of mountain biking and into a road ride this morning over coffee but Joe and I had already promised friends we would be there. She is excited about tomorrow's ride though! So see you all tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM at Gene Coulon! It should be FUN!!!!! :D

Have to go help hubby now. He'll think I'm trying to get out of helping. My job is to get the hyrdo packs cleaned and ready, helmets and shoes in the truck, get some food prepared (usually power bars but sometimes a PPJ sandwich). He gets the bikes ready.

Enjoy this gorgeous day!!!!!

Sue

teigyr
06-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Beautiful day....have fun outside :D I am in the bowels of Sea-Tac, alas.

Tomorrow, does anyone have an idea of what distance this is? Just wondering as far as water bottles vs. camelbak vs. both goes.

I hope everyone is having a fantastic day!

East Hill
06-30-2007, 01:50 PM
If we go my planned route, it's about 27 miles if I've calculated it correctly.

It's a gentle uphill gradient the entire way along the CRT, then some moderate hills scattered along the East Hill, with mostly downhill once we get to the last six miles or so. It's not really too strenuous. A couple of the hills are steep, but short (perhaps 150 feet or so).

There's restrooms at Gene Coulon, a McDonalds in Maple Valley at the approximate half way mark for restrooms/refreshments, and a restroom at Big Soos Creek.

I think water bottles will probably be all right.

East Hill

teigyr
06-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks. Honestly, I am so geographically challenged I had no idea if it was 20 miles or 75. I think the weather will be perfect also, we got lucky!

dex
06-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Sadly, I'm a little up in the air for tomorrow. I twisted my knee last night bringing a huge mirror into my apartment. It was acting fine this morning, so I decided to go for an easy, flat ride this afternoon. Around mile 30 it started screaming at me. When I got home it was a little swollen, but that looks like it's going down now and the ache is leaving. If it stays loose and pain-free, I'll come out. Otherwise, I think I have to give it some downtime. :(

teigyr
06-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Dex, OWIEEEE!!!

Take care and if you don't show tomorrow, we will think about the 8th? Fortunately, tomorrow's relatively short so I hope you can make it.

East Hill
07-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Well, thanks to all who came out and joined in the ride today! I know my husband and I had a great time, both in the ride itself, and finally getting to meet some of the other TE ladies :D .

The only incident (and it was a heroic performance) was when Susan's daughter, Jackie, had her tyre go flat whilst heading down Puget Drive. Fortunately, she was not up to speed, and did not suffer too much damage. Teigyr's husband managed to change Jackie's tyre in about 10 or 15 minutes, and we finished the ride without further incidents.

A special round of applause to HeatherErin, who managed all 31 some miles and was barely fatigued at the end. Kudos to her for coming all the way down from Marysville as well! I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as we enjoyed having you there.

Dex, you missed out on some great fun--a perfect day, and a route I really enjoy--but I think we will be doing this again, so perhaps you can join us next time?

East Hill

dex
07-01-2007, 03:37 PM
I saw the ride report, and I'm sad I missed out. I got up this morning thinking I could make it, but as soon as I got up and started walking, I knew I wasn't going anywhere. My knee was really tight and almost seemed like it was creaking whenever I bent it. :o

So, yeah...I ate breakfast on my little deck, did my handwashing, and have been making much with the ice, ibuprofen and diet orange soda today.

Sounds like you guys had a great time, though. Color me jealous. :)

Susan126
07-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Thank you East Hill for leading us on today's ride! Jackie and I both had a great ride (except for Jackie's fall). But she is ok. She is a bit stiff and sore but she is already talking about tomorrow's spin class at our gym and a ride on the Fourth!

Here is a picture of us from today's ride:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/Howler247/Daily%20Rides/crt_sct.jpg
left to right . . . Mimitabby, HeatherErin, ride leader East Hill, my daughter Jackie, East Hill's hubby, Teigyr, and her hubby.

And yes, HeatherErin did great for only having been on, was it 5 rides?

I want to thank Teigyr's hubby for changing Jackie's tire. I am usually the "mechanic" when it's just Jackie and me.

Sue :D

mimitabby
07-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Did you guys read what i posted in the thread called "Rabbit, Rabbit July 1 rides?"

East Hill
07-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Did you guys read what i posted in the thread called "Rabbit, Rabbit July 1 rides?"

Thank you very much! I love the photo of me with the Rodriguez :D .

But here I thought I was slow all this time. I will have to re-think that :p .

East Hill

HeatherErin
07-02-2007, 09:00 AM
East Hill, thanks again for leading the way! It was my longest ride to date!

Great to meet all of you - I hope to tag along again! :D

East Hill
07-02-2007, 10:52 AM
We need to get up a ride every Sunday if you are all up to that much adventure. The joy of the Cedar River Trail is that you can expand it by going south (left instead of right) on the Big Soos Creek trail, and head over to Interurban/GRT by way of the 277th Recreational Corridor.

East Hill

dex
07-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Dex, OWIEEEE!!!

Take care and if you don't show tomorrow, we will think about the 8th? Fortunately, tomorrow's relatively short so I hope you can make it.

I don't know how I missed this, but I came back in to look for something and saw it just now. Do you still want to ride on Sunday?

The only medical directive I have at this point is to avoid hills whenever possible...and if my knee is still bothering me by the middle of next week, I'm not to do the STP. *sigh*

So, if you want to do something mostly flat (I think those trails are flat, yes?), then I can still do it. If not, I may go out and try the trails on my own at some point over the weekend.

teigyr
07-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Dex,

We were thinking of doing the Lake Sammamish trail which is flat. We were going to continue on to East Lake Sammamish Blvd (nice bike lane!) which is rolling hills but nothing too bad...of course we're also willing to be flexible :D How many miles are you up to doing?

dex
07-06-2007, 06:32 PM
50-60 miles is probably my max on Sunday. And if any rollers aggravate the knee, I can always turn back...I've gotten good at turning back. Heh.

mimitabby
07-06-2007, 06:36 PM
rollers? what about HEADWINDS?!?!

teigyr
07-06-2007, 06:43 PM
what about HEADWINDS?!?!

Yes and there are those magical headwinds that go in all different directions so you never actually have a tailwind! :p

East Hill
07-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Where would we meet for the Lake Sammamish Trail?

I don't think I'd be able to persuade Mr. East Hill, but I could make it. As always, early is good! Especially as I think it will heat up later in the day...

East Hill

teigyr
07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Good question. Any ideas as to where to meet? We were going to leave from Logboom because it avoids the nasty bumpy parts of the B-G. I don't mind leaving from somewhere else though, there is always Gasworks or elsewhere.

East Hill, I know that 8 would be late for you. Anyone object to going earlier then?

dex
07-06-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm fine with earlier.

East Hill
07-07-2007, 04:10 AM
I can make it as long as I know where to park!

East Hill

teigyr
07-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Ok, here is Logboom:

http://www.seattlebiketours.org/members/start_maps/logboom_park.html

Here is Gasworks:

http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/parkspaces/GasWorksPark/directions.htm#car

I think I'm leaning more toward Logboom but please let me know if Gasworks would be better. What time do you figure? 8am? 7:30am? Maybe 7am? We're going to the movies when I get off work tonight which means we might not be home until 1am or so...any earlier than 7 might make me Zombie Cyclist :eek:

I look forward to riding!

East Hill
07-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I think 8.00 am is fine, and I'm good with Logboom.

Can't promise Mr. East Hill will join us, but if he does, he'll be on a big yellow Trek 4300 MTB :D .

I think I'm going to ride the Nishiki Sport mixte (not the same one as last Tuesday).

East Hill

teigyr
07-07-2007, 11:06 AM
It's a date! 8am at Logboom and I get to meet another member of your bicycle family.

Mr. East Hill is more than welcome, I think he'd do fine. See you then :D

East Hill
07-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Mr. EH may have other things to do, but I'll run it past him. But I'll be there :) .

East Hill

Susan126
07-08-2007, 06:43 AM
Hubby, Jackie, and I are doing our 45 mile Enumclaw ride Sunday morning (July 8th). Sort of a last minute thing. Yesterday we did a hike up at Sunrise. It was a beautiful day. Temperature was 64 but it felt like it was in the 80s because of the direct sun. But the SNOW! Lot's of snow is still up there. We saw a ton of cyclists riding up towards Sunrise. We did not see a single cyclist coming down though. I think they biked up and had people waiting for them. It is a very WINDING AND STEEP (WINDING!!!!) climb. No shoulder and a very narrow road to the top once you enter the park.

I will download my pictures and try to post a few. Also, we heard ICE CRACKING from mount rainier. We waited and thought we would see an avalanche or something really neat, but nothing. Just the sound of ice cracking reverberating through the mountains. It was cool. I turned my camera's video function on towards the end and caught really faint sounds of the cracking but the wind blowing washes it out.

Oh well it was a gorgeous day on top of Sunrise.

Sue

East Hill
07-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Well, today's ride from Logboom went pretty well, although it was my turn to flat! Even though we brought a proper tube (a 27"), and I managed to flat at a gas station (!), I forgot to bring my box wrench. The rear tyre is not a quick release. Ooops! So Dex, teigyr and Mr. teigyr, and Mr. East Hill continued on to Logboom, and I got to check out the action at Marymoor :) . If I had to flat and be stuck--well, that was a good a place as any :p .

We had KnottedYet also join us at Logboom, but she unfortunately had to turn around just before Marymoor. Too bad, she would have gotten to see me, Mr. East Hill, and Mr. teigyr all take a turn around the velodrome :D . That was pretty cool.

Pictures to come!

East Hill

mimitabby
07-08-2007, 02:33 PM
sounds like you all had fun!