PDA

View Full Version : what shoe/pedal combination?

rabidgirl
06-20-2007, 08:10 AM
As mentioned in my previous post, I'm considering a road race sometime this season. I am all set for my first century in a couple of weeks. Next year I am definately doing a few triathlons.

So, here's my thing: I am currently riding in heavy old Shimano touring shoes and using my mountian SPD pedals. I've been checking out new shoes that will work well for the century, road racing, and triathlons. I haven't made any specific picks yet (although the Sidis were the most comfortable), but what I have found is that I'll need an adapter for my current pedal set-up. It seems as though the "roadies" shy away from my mountain bike pedals (not sure why, but that is likely a whole separate thread). Anywhoo, the LBS folks really kept pushing the Speedplay Light Action pedal/cleat setup with any new shoe that I pick. I am leaning towards the speedplay type setup because a) two sided entry b) compatability with most shoes and c) cost effectiveness. I know many people have these.

I'd like to see some pros & cons for them that ya'll have come up with for the Speedplay type pedal.

The LBS didn't really discuss the platform type pedal. How are those? It looks like they are one-sided. I'm not so keen on looking down and trying to flip over my pedal to "click in" to my pedal. What are your thoughts?

The LBS fella also shied away from the crank brothers style pedals. Does anyone have feedback on those?

Thanks to all with any input.

Eden
06-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Not sure why your LBS doesn't like Crank Bros pedals. I race and I use Quattro's. I love them. Dual sided entry, nice sized platform, very secure when pedaling - yet easy to get out of, the cleats are cross compatible - so if you use more than one bike you can use the mt style pedals with the road cleats and vice versa - you can use your mt bike shoes with your road pedals. (comes in handy in the winter - I wear my mt. bike shoes that are warmer and more water resistant all winter long)

oh - I think roadies have tended to not want to use mt. bike pedals because of 1. tradition 2. they are often heavier 3. they have smaller platforms - traditional wisdom says you want a bigger platform for better power transfer/ less chance of hot spots on the bottom of your foot.

NJBikeGal
06-20-2007, 10:35 AM
I used to use Look pedals on my road bike. Great platform, very comfortable to ride on...just one problem (for me)...I am a major klutz and could not get into those darn things without looking down at my feet. This is not good when you are trying to get off a starting line in a pack of 20+ riders! So, I switched to Speedplay. LOVE at first click! They're double sided, have a nice sized cleat for the shoe (which needs to be a road specific shoe) that doesn't create hot spots, and they allow for float if you have bad knees.

KnottedYet
06-20-2007, 08:32 PM
I have Speedplay Frogs, not the same thing at all, but I wanted to chime in and say that I'm very happy with the quality of Speedplay and the engineering.

ohmyspokes
06-21-2007, 03:54 AM
When I picked up road biking about 7 years ago, I just used the spd-type pedals that came with my Bianchi Campione. As for shoes, I was lucky enough to score of pair of Sidi Geniuses for less than $100.

When I started racing, I just used what I had. It was ok, since I was comfortable with the setup, but then I had a few scary experiences with a foot (or sometimes BOTH) coming unclipped during a sprint. And I am by no means a sprint powerhouse.

After doing a bunch of research, I decided to give Speedplay Zeros a shot. They are dual-sided and have adjustable float, with heel-in and heel-out range adjusted independently. I have mine set up with just a tiny bit of float, with more on the right side to accomodate a weird leg-foot angle I have.

There are specific instructions on how to install the cleats, which need to be followed carefully. Four screws need to be tightened, but not too much. The spring mechanism in the cleat should be lubricated with a dry teflon or wax lube (I use White Lightning). Extensive walking on the cleats should be avoided, as the metal can wear down quickly and any bits of dirt, etc stuck in there will make clipping in difficult (if not impossible).

It took me about 3 weeks to get used to the Zeros, mainly learning how to exert the force needed to clip in. I have been using these pedals for two years and wouldn't trade them for anything else. Clipping in gives a nice positive "CLICK", clipping out is never a problem, and I've never come unclipped accidentally. I feel like I'm pedalling on a stable platform, and do not experience hot spots. Plus, they look like lollipops. :)

I haven't used the Light Action model, but I understand they have a fixed float range (15 degrees?) and are easier to clip into. I'm not sure what other differences there may be.

I hope that helps.

Edited to add: I am still using those old Sidi shoes. When they finally do give out, I'll have no problem paying full price for a new pair. If they fit you well, they are definitely worth the $$$.

NJBikeGal
06-21-2007, 04:12 AM
I should say that I also use the Zeros. They are MUCH stiffer to get into than the Light Action or the X series pedals. They take some getting used to...for the Zeros, I found that gettting used to clipping in was significant (as OMS said...it was interesting to figure out how much pressure to exert to get into them!). At first, it feels like your feet are on little patches of ice...sliding about because of the float. The great thing about the Zeros compared to the other two series is that you can manipulate the float...even locking it out so that there is no real noticable float. The other two types have a set amount.

I am a Speedplay gal for sure, so I will endorse them till the cows come home. I do have to get some new shoes though. I use Sidis on my MTB, and they are SOOO comfy...so I'm leaning towards picking up a pair of them for my road! :)

indysteel
06-21-2007, 05:05 AM
I have Keo Sprints--a platform pedal system--on my bike and like them quite a bit. I went from SPDs to those and, admittedly, they took a little getting used to. It helped tremendously to loosen the tension on the pedals so that it was easier to clip in and out. The first weekend I had them, I remember being pretty frustrated. The action needed to push down on the pedal and clip in just didn't seem intuitive. The guys at the LBS took a somewhat frazzled call from me that first weekend and assured me that it would get easier. True to their word, it now seems like second nature to me, and it never occurs to me that they're "one sided." Every once in a while, I find myself looking down to clip in but as a general rule I can easily do it by feel. I would also note say that they became easier to use after I had a professional fitting done on my bike. My saddle was moved back quite a bit and that put my leg and foot behind the pedal a bit more.

Just a few other notes. Walking in the cleats is possible, but you have to be careful on smooth surfaces like tile. They make cleat covers for them though. If I know I'm going to be walking a lot on a given day, I bring them along. The cleats eventually wear out and have to be replaced. They're not terribly expensive, but I haven't found it terribly easy to get them exactly where I want them. My fitter placed my cleats as part of my fitting so I just go back to him now when I need new cleats. With Keos, there are three different cleats from which to choose. One provides some float, one that provides a lot of float and one that provides zero float. I suppose you could mix and match if your knees required it.

rabidgirl
06-21-2007, 05:42 AM
Thanks all for your inputs. I'm leaning towards the speedplay simply because they are two sided. I swerve around enough just drinking water. Looking down to clip in could be even more hazardous.

One of my biggest concerns is being able to get out fast enough... I am used to my SPDs, and learning how to get in & out of them was a painful process. Let's just say that I don't recommend first time clip-in pedal users do their trial runs on an unknown mountain trail far away from home for a group event. It wasn't pretty.:(

agrsgrl
06-23-2007, 08:19 AM
I've ridden with a number of pedal combinations. Right now I'm riding with a set of Dura Ace pedals and Sidi Geniuses. I do centuries, crits and road races.

I was using Speedplay Zeros and I liked thier adjustability. You can really dial them in for your specific riding position and the variability of the float is a definite benefit over the X's. They also have better clearance for cornering.
That said, I moved away from them because I was having problems clipping in and out. The cleat on the bottom of the shoe has to be pretty loose to prevent binding and you have to be careful about lubrication, dirt, and grit.

I like the Dura Ace/Ultegra line because of the size of the pedal, I have fewer problems with hot spots. But...thier clearance isn't as good, and I have clipped them in corners while racing. You also have to get used to the one sided entry position.

See if you can try out pedal/shoe combinations at your LBS--that may be the best way for you to find a combination you like.

CR400
06-23-2007, 11:35 AM
I use Speedplay X's. I do like the float but I have noticed that over time I do not hardly even notice it any more. My feet for the most part stay in a set position. I do however, like it when I go to climb hills and need to change my foot position slightly.

Pros
Float 15 degrees or less depending on the series
dual sided entry, There have been times I can't clip in on one side but the other works.
Great cornering, you can lean your bike over really far around curves.
Easy exit.
Get good quality even out of the $115 ones.

Cons
I have accidently unclipped twice while riding, good thing I was seated
Can be nearly impossible to clip into if the cleat is not lubed regularly or you get rocks in the springs.

rabidgirl
07-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks all for your replies. I picked up the Speedplay Zeros. I have been fumbling with clipping in & out, but have been mostly doing well. I have a big ride next week so will have a bit more to tell. The biggest thing right now is that the outside of my left foot has been experiencing unusual pain... not numbness. Maybe a hotspot? I guess I'll be moving the cleats around to make that stop.

Starfish
12-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Hoping we can revive this thread for a bit. I am now looking at new shoes and pedals, and I have appreciated all the posts on this thread.

I have tried on the Specialized Women's Carbon Pro shoes, and I am in love. They feel amazing.

How is it for those of you who have road racing style shoes, when you go out for a century or longer? My LBS guy was questioning whether I would want pure road shoes if I was getting off my bike for food or restroom breaks all day. I have to admit I wondered about this myself.

Is it REALLY hard to walk in them for the kinds of breaks one takes while doing the long rides? Does putting the little protective cover thingies on them help you walk, or does it just protect the cleat?

I LOVE how those shoes feel in the store. I am hoping they could work for 12-14 hour organized rides...or even longer...like doubles.

Thanks!

OakLeaf
12-16-2007, 01:00 PM
I haven't found it terribly easy to get them exactly where I want them.

It's been many, many years since I replaced my last pair of cleats. But what I did that time was draw on the soles of my shoes, all the way around the old cleats, with a Sharpie. Who's going to look at it anyway? That's provided you're not changing pedals of course.

OakLeaf
12-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Is it REALLY hard to walk in them for the kinds of breaks one takes while doing the long rides? Does putting the little protective cover thingies on them help you walk, or does it just protect the cleat?

It's not an issue IMO. I don't know why your LBS guy thinks it would be.

Right now I'm wearing the Specialized Torch shoes, which have the little rubber baby buggy bumpers on the heels and toes for easier walking. But last year I revived my ancient Duegi race shoes for all-around riding. In their previous life, besides racing, those shoes rode six TOSRVs and any number of organized and non-organized centuries. You have to be careful on hard, slippery surfaces - the first time I put those shoes on after a 12-year hiatus, I just about broke my *ss walking down some slate steps. But that's all. (What those shoes *did* do is turn my feet black every single time it rained for six years. :p )

I've never used those cleat covers, so somebody else can address that.

CR400
12-16-2007, 08:32 PM
I have no problem with my Adidas road shoes. They are a carbon sole shoe so there is no give when I walk in them. However, the have the little rubber end at the toe and heel for walking. I have had to walk in my shoes for two miles one day after I wrecked my bike, my shoulder was to painful to ride and again when I blew out a tire. Like a dumby I forgot my seat bag with all my stuff. I did notice that they started to rub on my ankle by the end of the walk. But how often are you going to walk for two miles non-stop at a rest stop? As far as my cleat covers mine have like little traction bumps to get some grip on the surface I am walking on, they have worked so far.

Starfish
12-17-2007, 06:03 AM
Thanks, everyone. This sounds pretty reassuring. :)