PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross bike for 5 foot 4 inch man?

gadgetadam
06-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Hello ladies. I’m a man.
I normally don’t post on women’s forums but since I’m short (5 feet 4 inches) and I’m looking for a bike I thought I would ask help from women (who normally are shorter than men) about bikes for short people. I sized a 49cm road bike and the top bar was, well let’s just say I felt the bar and it was WAY too close for comfort. Close, actually if I didn’t have shoes on I think I would have been hurting. I’m looking for a cyclocross bike that has a small frame for short people. Below is a repost from another forum.

I currently own a http://www.k2bike.com/products/biked...ear=2006&ID=66 and I love it. It’s very comfortable to ride. Currently I try to ride 5-7 miles each day and 12-15 miles on the weekends. The problem is I want something that’s more efficient but will still allow me to ride on trails around town. Currently I mostly ride on sidewalks, streets that have at least a 3 foot wide shoulder (I don’t trust drivers), and established trails. I’m looking at getting a Cyclocross bike because I think it would be perfect for what I do. I’m 5 foot 4 at 187- pounds (the – is because I’m losing weight!) and I want to spend around $1,000 for a decent cyclocross bike that I will never compete with. I live in Austin Texas. I know Redline, Surly, and Jamis have small framed bikes. Does anyone else know of any other ones or have any suggestions. Thanks.

Triskeliongirl
06-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Yes I do. Bianchi makes a series of cyclocross bikes that I believe go all the way down to 44 cm. For example, bianchilady on this board has a nice volpe. http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_volpe.html. Check them out.

KnottedYet
06-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Surly's cyclocross is the Cross Check. The Cross Check is pretty spiffy.
http://www.surlybikes.com/crosscheck_comp.html

This is my Surly Cross Check, all set up to be a commuter.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/KnottedYet/DSCN0473.jpg

I'm 5'8" and ride a 52 cm frame.

Edit: btw, the pricetag on my Surly was $930. That's not what I *paid* because I did some trading-in, but I'd say the bike is quite fine for that price. Plus the Surly is designed to be fiddled with so you can change parts all over the place. (you can even make it a fixie!)

Trek420
06-19-2007, 08:15 PM
gadgetadam,

I was going to say Luna cycles, which is clearly marketed as a womans frame but hey, they are always custom so they'd build for anyone who wants the bike. :) :cool:

They may be a bit more than what you want to spend unless you find on the used market.

My niece rides a Specialized cross to work. Her commute is both on roads and off road unpaved trails lucky gal. She put slicks on the bike and completed every mile of the AIDS Lifecycle ride. Then just pop the knobbies on and back to work. Seems like a very versatile bike, it's light too.

If I was getting a cross I'd want the Surly (because I work in customer service and I just love the idea of my bike being Surly) or a Rivendell. The Surly would probably win because less expensive and my LBS builds them up.

BTW, we don't trust cars either and yet I still feel safer on the road simply because it's easier than dealing with intersections, driveways, uncertainty there.

Oh, 5'1", 47 +/-cm road bike (the +/- is it's custom so not a standard size).

Triskeliongirl
06-20-2007, 05:09 AM
Since men have longer upper bodies and shorter lower bodies, I think a guy that is 5'4" will need a smaller frame size than a women of equiv height to clear the top tube. He did say a 49cm was too small, while most women that are 5'4" can clear the top tube with a 49cm seat tube, but find the top tube too long. So, I think he needs to find out who makes a 44 cm cyclocross frame. The bianchi volpe is the only one I am aware of, but there may be more. Another thing to look for are sloping top tubes that may have more clearance even in a larger size. Also, be sure to check geometry charts to see if the stand over height is caluclated as center to top vs. center to center. For example, this 49cm Fuji Comp is 49cm center to top, which will have more clearnance than a 49 cm that is center to center: http://www.fujibikes.com/2006/bikes.asp?id=137#. Welcome to our world!

Blueberry
06-20-2007, 05:20 AM
I'll second the recommendation of the Cross Check. Mine was an ebay purchase, and was built up (not stock) exactly the way I would have wanted it.

I'm 5'4" and ride a 50 cm comfortably. I usually ride a larger frame size, but in my experience, cross checks are a little longer than my other bikes on the top tube.

Good luck!

CA

KnottedYet
06-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Surly has a 42cm and a 46 cm Cross Check.

Kona's cyclocross frames have slanting top tubes, but the smallest is a 49cm. www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/JAKE/index.html

There is a Surly Cross Check and Long Haul Trucker owner's forum at www.surlyville.net Someone there might be able to tell you how they like the fit of the smaller frames from a functional standpoint.

mimitabby
06-20-2007, 06:34 AM
That Bianchi Volpe is fine and the price is right!

VeloVT
06-20-2007, 06:58 AM
I'd also suggest looking at the Bianchi Axis. Mine is 52 cm and a great fit for me (I'm 5'6", with a long torso). Here it is:

This year's model comes in a 44 and a 49; there's a geometry chart on the website here:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_axis.html

(Looks like the replaced the super-tiny triple on my model with a compact double; a good move imo).

It's a really fun bike, stiff & snappy, quick handling, comfy relaxed geometry, and at around 21 lbs including fat tires, not too much heavier than my roadbike.

One thing to be aware of with cross bikes -- the BB is often higher than with road bikes (someone more knowledgeable than I may be able to tell you why this is, but it's a result of slightly different rear-triangle angles), which can affect TT clearance, so depending on the particular model you may size down from your road bike size.

Make sure you pay as much attention to the TT length/reach as to the clearance, it's more important to overall fit.

gadgetadam
06-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks everyone. There were some great replies. I'll check them all out.
-GadgetAdam

Eden
06-20-2007, 08:12 AM
I know Redline goes down to a 44 with their cross bikes - one thing to remember is that the bottom bracket is higher on a cross bike so the stand over on a comperable sized road bike will be a less, since they are measuring the length of the seat tube only. If you are really stuck and the smallest sizes don't fit Kona and Redline both make a 24" wheel version for kids that has a 39cm seat tube. I'm thinking you're probably much too tall for that, but its something to consider if all other options seem closed.....

Kalidurga
06-20-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm 5'3" and I love my 49cm Specialized TriCross. I bought the TriCross in order to do the same sort of riding you described, but I've ended up branching out with it to do more road riding and a litte mtb. It's terrifically versatile. I tweaked the fit a bit as far as the stem/bars, but the frame size has been just fine. Sorry I can't post a link to info about it, but I'm at work and snuck on-line for a few minutes :eek:

RoseC
06-20-2007, 02:04 PM
I got a Bianchi Volpe about a month ago - my first road bike. Coming from mountain bikes, the cross bikes just seemed a bit friendlier, plus I liked the idea of being able to take it on dirt trails if I wanted, with just a tire change.

I'll hit 400 miles today, and so far, I love it!

SalsaMTB
06-22-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't have any suggestions, but just wanted to give a word of caution...

Many times as you get smaller and smaller in frame size, toe overlap can become a problem. Be sure to check for toe overlap while test riding. Not sure what size feet you have, but if you need a smaller bike and have big feet, if could be a problem.

madisongrrl
06-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Redline Conquest Pro is a great bike. It might be a little out of your price range, but I'm not sure because I had my build up with the componets I wanted and didn't purchase the stock model. I'm a smaller woman, the bike fits me like a glove and most importantly, it doesn't have any toe overlap issues.

wonderwoman
07-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Just had to put a good word in for my 46cm Jamis Nova. I'm 5'3" and I love it. Mine has a 26" front wheel to reduce toe overlap, I guess, and the only drawback is having to carry 2 tubes and find narrow 26" tires. I feel like it can go anywhere. I think Jamis is still making the Nova in this size.

Liza, your Axis is drool-worthy !

Tuckervill
07-09-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm 5'4", too, and I ride a 54 cm Trek 1000. I know it's not a cross bike, but the standover height is just fine. Am I to understand that if this were a cross bike, I wouldn't have a good standover?

I really wanted a more versatile bike than a road bike--really wanted a steel touring bike, but this was in impulse purchase--a good deal at the time, and I'm not ready to invest in the touring bike, yet. The bike fits with adjustments to the stem, but I'm interested the differences in the standover height between a cross bike and road bike. I hope someone who knows will post more about it.

Thanks,
Karen

Eden
07-09-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm 5'4", too, and I ride a 54 cm Trek 1000. I know it's not a cross bike, but the standover height is just fine. Am I to understand that if this were a cross bike, I wouldn't have a good standover?

I really wanted a more versatile bike than a road bike--really wanted a steel touring bike, but this was in impulse purchase--a good deal at the time, and I'm not ready to invest in the touring bike, yet. The bike fits with adjustments to the stem, but I'm interested the differences in the standover height between a cross bike and road bike. I hope someone who knows will post more about it.
Thanks,
Karen

Cross bikes are made so that the bottom bracket is higher off of the ground - to clear rocks and other obstacles better. The "size" of a bike is generally the length of the seat tube, usually measured from the center of the bottom bracket to either the center of the top tube or the top of the seat tube depending on the mfg (just to make it even more confusing...) So, since you are started off already higher off of the ground on a cross bike the height of the top tube (and thus the stand over height) on the cross bike will be greater than on a road bike with the same length of seat tube. Ususally everthing else is bigger too - so top tubes, chainstays etc. are longer than on a road bike of the same "size" also.

Tuckervill
07-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Got it! Thanks, Eden!

Karen

eofelis
07-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I am 5'2" and I have 2 Surly bikes, a Pacer road bike and the Long Haul Trucker touring bike. Both of mine are 42cm size. The Pacer has 700c wheels and the LHT has 26" wheels. Both of them have a 70cm standover and a 50cm effTT.

I have looked closely at the Crosscheck and I'd love to have one but the 42cm model has a 73cm standover which is way too tall for me! Crosschecks run big, possibly due to all the extra tire clearance they build into them.

Lisaknex
07-11-2007, 07:51 AM
I just bought a Bianchi Axis size 44. I’m 5.4 with a longer waist and shorter legs.
My inseam is 28.5 and the Axis stand over height is 28.

The Axis has the shortest stand over height of all the cross bikes I researched.

I have only had it for a week, one short ride, but love the bike so far.

Lisa