PDA

View Full Version : Jamis Racer double--comes with a triple front shifter?

RebeccaHowe
06-19-2007, 05:30 AM
I just bought the 2007 WSD Jamis Ventura Race (http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/venturaracew.html).

It came with a front shifter that is meant for three chainrings in the front. However, the bike comes with two chainrings in the front.

My LBS says this is standard, and there isn't even any adjustment they can do to correct the problem of having to hit the shifter twice to get one shift. What!!?? I just dropped that much cash for a bike with components that don't work together?

Has anyone else had this problems?

I also just sent an e-mail to Jamis, asking if this can be true. We'll see.

Thanks!
becca

wonderwoman
07-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Becca,
I have a new Felt with the same setup. My guess is that the Tiagra level shifters you have are only available with a triple front shifter. This gives you an extra click ,as you said ,to use it with a double front crank. Yes, it's something you don't really need, but Shimano STI shifters usually have a "preload" shift in the front derailleur to help move the chain up or down. In my experience, it's not worth trying to eliminate this extra partial shift. It can be done, but you'll likely run into more chain/derailleur alignment issues in the process. On the upside, if you ever decide you want the extra low gears possible with a triple, you'll only have to change the front derailleur, bottom bracket and cranks and not the shifter. (I know the compact double is supposed to have the same range as a standard triple, but you can go lower with touring gearing.)
Did the compact double affect your decision to buy this bike? Or did you love it for other reasons and didn't mind the double? I have a Jamis also and looked at the Ventura Race.

KnottedYet
07-18-2007, 05:49 AM
If it drives you crazy, you could change to a bar-end friction shift for the front. (I have these on my triple bike, and since the front is compatible with everything under the sun switching from double to triple and Shimano to Campy was no issue. The rear can be indexed or friction, so it is also capable of impressive compatibility.)

Switching to Campy brifters wouldn't be much of an improvement over the double-push you need for the Shimano Tiagra unless you have very large hands. As it is, on my compact double bike with Campy brifters I do double-shifts because of my smaller hands. (I really like that feature of Campy, being able to trim the der and do double-push shifts.)

I've used Campy front brifter with Shimano double front der and with Suntour compact double front der, no compatibility problems.

I'll be interested to see what Jamis says. Keep us posted?