PDA

View Full Version : Running! 6-18-07 to 6-24-07!

KSH
06-18-2007, 07:23 PM
OK, nothing creative this time. Sorry. It's late, I'm tired. :o

RUN:

58m
4.24 miles
13m 41s /mile

WOW! Slow run.

The theme of this run from step one... OUCH my lower legs HURT. It was just pain the whole way. I gutted out this entire run.

I started to think, "If other people had pain like this running, I bet they wouldn't be running". Maybe they would. It made me feel good.

On a positive note, no side cramp. But, uuuhhh... running that freaking slow how could I get one really?

SWIM:

33m
2000.00 meters
1m 39s /100 meters

Went to the pool to swim after running.

The water was so cold. You would think it would be refreshing after running in 90 degree heat. Nope. My body temperature is so high, it's just freezing.

200 w/u
5x100

At this point I ditched my scheduled workout and decided to do a 1000. Everytime I stopped, I would start to shiver.

The 1000 was good and relaxing. Perfect solution!

300 C/D

Kimmyt
06-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Ran 2.65 today, the last run before The Tri. I'm getting excited. Scared. Excited. Worried. Happy. You know, the whole gamut. I want to do another brick before the race, but I really want to get a bunch of rest days in (well, okay, 3).

K.

rocknrollgirl
06-19-2007, 05:10 PM
go kimmy..... kick their butts...shhh...i never said it out loud.....

tattiefritter
06-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Still no running for me, think I may have IT Band problems. It hurts on the outside of my knee and hip. Will try a short ride tonight in my Specialized shoes which stop me knee moving laterally too much and I have a sports massage with a Sports Therapist on Friday so hopefully he'll be able to tell me what I've done to myself.

I'm pining for running on the trails. :(

kelownagirl
06-20-2007, 06:19 AM
I went for a run last night but had to cut if short (3km) because my calf hurt again. The muscle right down the inside of my leg, close in the front bone (shin bone?). It's been hurting on and off since my race. Didn't bother me much when I ran 7km on Sunday but hurt lots on the run before and after.

alpinerabbit
06-20-2007, 10:18 AM
No running. It's been so bloody hot and it really got to me. I'm gearing down for..... guess what.. saturday... The weather will cool down according to the forecast so I won't be suffering too much.

rocknrollgirl
06-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Tattie, sounds like ITBS. You can have that flair up if you increase distance to much too soon, or run too many hills too soon.

Wahine
06-20-2007, 11:46 AM
I ran 4.5 miles with hard, but short intervals yesterday. It was hot and I skirted around the land of Pukerton a few times but didn't actually get there. Yikes, the heat makes it soooo much harder. I can sympathize Alpine.

Tattie - yes to the ITBS, there are some stretches posted around the forum someplace that should help. If Ihave time I'll try to find a link.

KG- sounds like tibialis posterior tendonitis or shin splints involving the tibialis posterior. Check out the thread I started on plantar fasciitis, the treatment is basically the same except the you want to ice the area that is most painful.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=15318&highlight=plantar+fasciitis

rocknrollgirl
06-20-2007, 01:35 PM
So I did a trail run today. About 10 mins in, I started getting swarmed by strawberry flies. We also call them deer flies. Not as big as a greenhead for you southern gals, Not as small as a blackfly for you northern gals. Somewhere between. They bite like a blackfly, take an actual chunk. I was running in a racer back shimmel. They attacked me so badly the welts blended together. Rotten buggers.

I did however finish the run. Thank heavens I had a hat on. I took it off to swat. It was miserable. And I felt great running. Go Figure.

KSH
06-20-2007, 03:08 PM
I went for a run last night but had to cut if short (3km) because my calf hurt again. The muscle right down the inside of my leg, close in the front bone (shin bone?). It's been hurting on and off since my race. Didn't bother me much when I ran 7km on Sunday but hurt lots on the run before and after.

Sounds very similar to the lower leg pain I get. It's not exactly on the shin, but on the inside of the leg... a vertical 2-3 inch strip.???

I get that pain, and really tight calf muscles.

I haven't found a solution for fixing either pain. Ice seems to help on the inside of the legs... and not running too fast. Faster running tends to make my pain flare up more.

kelownagirl
06-20-2007, 05:44 PM
I ran 4.5 miles with hard, but short intervals yesterday. It was hot and I skirted around the land of Pukerton a few times but didn't actually get there. Yikes, the heat makes it soooo much harder. I can sympathize Alpine.

Tattie - yes to the ITBS, there are some stretches posted around the forum someplace that should help. If Ihave time I'll try to find a link.

KG- sounds like tibialis posterior tendonitis or shin splints involving the tibialis posterior. Check out the thread I started on plantar fasciitis, the treatment is basically the same except the you want to ice the area that is most painful.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=15318&highlight=plantar+fasciitis

Thanks Wahine - will the stretches etc you mentioned in that thread help as well?

And what do you think of the info/exercises on this link?

tattiefritter
06-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Well my bike ride went quite well last night, I helped my self by not using my flat pedals and using my spds with my Specialized BG shoes, even in the short time I've been using those shoes I've noticed my knees do not move laterally on the bike whilst I know when I use the flats (especially without my normal arch supports in the shoe - d'oh) my knees will collapse in when pushing hard. At first both my knees felt stiff but I think that is because I haven't doen anything except stretching for about a week and a half but after a while they both loosened off brilliantly, my leg felt better after the ride than before, so cycling is back on the agenda, with my Specialized shoes at least. I'm rollering my IT band daily and stretching and other self massage.

I am pretty convinced its ITB and looking back through my training log I've done loads of things over a two week period to bring it on (hill running, hill walking, longer run, riding with flat pedals...). The research I've done points to weak gluteus muscles, particularly gluteus medius. On Monday when it had really calmed down a lot I did some strengthening work on the gluteus medius, the left was appallingly weak and the next morning it had all flared up again so I think I'm in the right area. I have a sports massage tomorrow then I am on holiday for a week being a tourist in New York (can't wait) as long as I can walk around easily for that I'll be happy.

Wahine
06-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks Wahine - will the stretches etc you mentioned in that thread help as well?

And what do you think of the info/exercises on this link?

Yes to all of the above. It's all applicable, exercises, stretches, use of a sock at night if necessary. THe tibialis posterior dynamically controls the medial arch of the foot while the plantar fascia statically controls it. Because the have similar functions (although achieved differently), the approach to management is very similar, just the precise location of the inflammation is different.

chickwhorips
06-21-2007, 10:11 AM
I went out last night for a trail run. Planned on going for 2 miles and did 3. The catch is, I ran the whole time. No walk/run just run. It felt so good. This means I'm almost back to my normal before surgery self! The tootsies were a bit sore, but not to bad. I just feel so accomplished.

Ahhhh......

HappyAnika
06-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Tattiefritter:

Can you tell me about IT rollering? I saw something recently about using a tennis ball and rolling on it to help massage and loosen muscles. Is that what you're talking about? While it's been fine lately, I also have some IT band issues, that, coupled with ACL repaired knee, have kept me sidelined in the past. Doc and PT recommend IT band stretches, but that mostly stretches the upper part, not the lower part near the knee that is causing the problem.

Thanks!

tattiefritter
06-21-2007, 12:33 PM
HappyAnika,

tha's basically what I've been doing. I use products from these people (no connection, just grateful muscles):

http://www.tptherapy.com/quad%20baller%20.php

I use the quadballer to roll my quads on and my IT band (they have demos on the site) though I feel like a bit of a contortionist when doing it. I also use the little ball thing to pinpoint other areas and to roll across the IT band - it hurts like hell. The ball thing is "good" got the piriformis too. It is almost like a human thumb but is not as good as a proper massage but good to use inbetween massages. I also have the footballer for my calves which is good for the achilles but I find myself using the little ball more as its easier to pinpoint certain areas.

The TP site has lots of pictures on how to tackle various muscle groups with the ball and the roller, the little ball is definitely the most versatile and I'm sure a tennis ball is a reasonable stand in.

KSH
06-21-2007, 06:29 PM
1h 35m
8.01 miles
11m 52s /mile

8 Miles from House - Climb: 253.00 feet

I was going to run at the lake, but I saw rain on the radar, and it had already poured down rain once.

So, I decided to go home and run around where I live.

The first 4 miles were pretty good. Lower legs were tight, but it was doable.

The last 4 miles and really the last 2 miles were torture. My left calf started cramping up, and I walked some. I finally got back to running and pushed through till the end.

It wasn't pretty, but I got it done.

HappyAnika
06-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info and the link, Tattiefritter. (And I'd like to take the opportunity to say I think your avatar looks like a seahorse. If you look to the side of it and you see it indirectly, the shape of you on your bike with the shadow looks like the shape of a seahorse, I think its cool).

Anyway, tempo run this morning, 10 min slow warm up, 25 min tempo, 5 min slow. First 5 min at faster pace felt like crap, but I got over it and was feeling great. Knees were back to their minor protesting after last week's hiatus, but it could have been the pace.

colby
06-22-2007, 06:38 PM
This week, I've done a lot of riding, but not a lot of running, just one day. Bad colby, bad! It's great to be on the bike, though. ;) My run was just 4 miles. I have a sprint tri on July 15th, otherwise I'm going to try to scope out a HIM for September before I transition to marathon training.

This weekend is IMCdA (about 10 miles from my house). It's going to be hard not to sign up, but I just don't know if I'm ready for that kind of commitment. I would need to put in the miles, increase my bike average, change my schedule around... but it would REALLY put purpose to my winter/spring! Le sigh...

colby
06-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Sounds very similar to the lower leg pain I get. It's not exactly on the shin, but on the inside of the leg... a vertical 2-3 inch strip.???

I get that pain, and really tight calf muscles.

I haven't found a solution for fixing either pain. Ice seems to help on the inside of the legs... and not running too fast. Faster running tends to make my pain flare up more.

I've had the same problem with the shin pain, to the point that it's tender to the touch, especially after long distances. Acupuncture did seem to help, but it was reoccurring. Going to check out Wahine's stretches...

Jolt
06-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Don't know the distance, but did a 1hr 10min run on the Midstate Trail this afternoon (the section that goes through Westminster, MA). That's quite a bit longer than I usually run; I normally do 30-40 minutes. I definitely enjoyed it! I did take a digger at one point due to not paying attention for a few seconds; not even any root or rock there, just plain tripped, like a klutz! Fortunately the only damage was a bit of a bruise at the top of my right knee and a tiny scratch on my right shoulder (plus a bruised ego, but at least nobody witnessed the wipeout), and at least there was no poison ivy where I landed (though there was some on a part of the trail that goes through tall grass, so I guess if I have any itchiness around my ankles tomorrow I'll know why). See, you don't necessarily have to be on a bike to crash!!