PDA

View Full Version : Recumbents - long

MomOnBike
08-31-2004, 09:08 AM
Do not get a recumbent unless you
are at least a little bit of an exibitionist. I just spent a weekend on my new EZ Sport and boy, did it get noticed.

10 YO boys shout "Cool Bike" at me (reply "Yeah!" or a big grin.), elderly gentlemen examine it closely in front of the ice-cream store, then walk in smiling, and heads just generally turn.

I could get used to this. :D

OK, the bike itself:

William is a Long Wheel Base Over Seat Steer recumbent. It has a fairing/windscreen on it so boy, does it have Presence. Think chopper motorcycle and you pretty much have the set-up, except the engine is much quieter.

I'm not a racer or a mountain biker (note: no disrespect intended, they just don't float my boat. I like to read about them, though.), I really want to go on long tours. As much as I love my upright, the very thought of long tours on it made my hands hurt. I was afraid of doing major nerve damage in my wrists.

My hands don't hurt on William! Not even a little bit! No tingling fingers, nothing. Nor do any other parts hurt - excepting some muscular soreness that feels kinda good in a getting-in-shape sort of way.

I had been told that 'bents are slow on hills. Um, maybe so, but I'm slow on hills whatever I ride and haven't noticed being any slower - not that anyone could tell...:rolleyes:

On the other hand, flats and downhills are MUCH faster.

Handling is ... different. My upright handles like a well-trained Quarter Horse. William handles like a '64 Cadillac. Not bad, just not at all the same. I'm not real good yet, but my problems will yield to practice (I'm willing!)

Bottom line. I'm in love. I can Go Places on this Bike. Katy Trail, here we come!

bentforlife
08-31-2004, 10:29 AM
I have a 6 foot long RANS Stratus. I think the best I've had yet are the drivers craning their necks and nearly driving off the road. Drivers also tend to give me a wider berth than they did with a DF(I call them wedgies).

I also get alot of comments, mainly positive, about the bike. Most people just have a lot of "technical" questions, like balance, pedaling, etc. When I have passed a couple of hard core "wedgie" riders, I've enjoyed the looks and grunts.

This is by far the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. I had rotator cuff surgery 5 years ago that left me with very limited range of motion in the shoulder joint. I also cannot tolerate any pressure on it. With this bike that is not even an issue!

It does take some getting use to--different leg muscles, abdominal muscles. etc. But my butt is never sore, nice comfy seat. It may be more like a Cadillac than a spirited horse(been there, done that) but at my age(47) I'll ride anything that keeps me in the saddle.

And the speed on flats and downhill are fast. My 14 year old daughter who is very fit(track) cannot keep up with me until we reach a hill, then I smoke her on the down side! :D

Keep riding!!

Donna

MomOnBike
08-31-2004, 12:34 PM
I hear you on keeping up with the younger crowd. Last night I kept up with a fit 20-something for about 3 miles. I was riding my brakes on the best downhill in town, then keeping up the rest of the time. (I wasn't in Race Mode, just seeing what would happen) She kept peeking back. I loved it, a fat (late)40-ish woman keeping up. She lost me to cross street traffic, but it was fun while it lasted.

I love that bike. I'm starting to feel sorry for my husband, he's starting to have to Work on our rides. ;)