PDA

View Full Version : Rides with Dog(s)

Susan Knight
07-08-2002, 06:42 PM
Greetings,

Lots and lots of dogs around where we ride, which is fab! I have never had any trouble with any of them... I have a Malamute/lab cross who I would love to take on rides with me, but I'm looking for some training pointers... outside of the bear bell!

Any help would be great -- Thanks!:D

waterlilli
07-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Your pouch will love riding with you! I take my Aussie and she has a blast altough she leaves me behind when my husband goes. Prepare your dog first by shorter rides or running with him/her so she gets used to the distance and speed. Also, do not forget your dog needs water too, if you are not passing water then a disposable water dish is great. A great web site to check is http://www.whimpsmtb.com/dogs.htm Have fun your dog sure will appreciate it.

han-grrl
07-12-2002, 07:18 AM
if i had a dog i would love to take him/her riding with me. But there is one problem i have seen around here. When they are out in the "wild" voice commands don't work. I have nearly run into dogs several times because their masters couldn't control them on the trail. and it isn't like i was zooming buy. they are unpredictable when they aren't a leash. just some thoughts to keep in mind when you take your pooch with you :)

Susan Knight
07-12-2002, 08:31 AM
waterlilli -- Thanks for the website -- it was great!

han grrl-- I know that a lot of people don't properly train there animals, which can be frustrating.. especially if you don't have a dog yourself! I live in an area where dogs are a huge part of life -- particularly in the MB and rock climbing communities. Almost all the dogs are very well trained - and those that aren't, are in the process of getting trained! Most of the trails are around or part of logging roads so you really want to make sure "Fido" is trained, because the trucks just rip through the "TFL's"! My pup is still too out of shape for any of the bigger rides so we are sticking to the trails by my house. We usually head out with me on the bike and I walk home with him at a slower pace.. He is lasting longer and longer every time! A bonus is how well behaved he is when he is pooped! :D

pennys
07-17-2002, 07:07 AM
don't forget the booties!!