PDA

View Full Version : new biker

swatisheth
08-31-2004, 08:23 AM
Hello,

I am new biker on the block. I have been riding an old bike for a few weeks now. I ride around 5 miles near the bayou. I need advice as to which is a reasonably priced starter bike and what accessories or details i should look for in a bike.

Also should i be buying a road bike, hybrid or a mountain bike - currently i ride only on a paved road near the bayou. I would like to move to riding more miles and hopefully later take my bike on other bike trails.

Also, are biking shoes, gear, shorts, etc... really necessary. OR just regular keds, shorts and t-shirt do?

All suggestion welcome - just keep in mind i don't have much money to spend at the moment. reasonably priced

thanks

Adventure Girl
08-31-2004, 09:19 AM
Welcome to the TE forum. And welcome to the wonderful world of cycling. Choosing a bike is definitely a personal decision based on your needs, wants, resources and fitness level. The first thing to consider is what kind of riding you want to do. You say you're riding on paved roads and hopefully later take your bike on other bike trails. What do you mean by "bike trails" Will that be paved, cement or dirt? Do you think you will be doing any mountain biking?

I have 5 bikes, and none of them are hybrids. But that' just me. I know several people who love their hybrids. That' the type of riding they do. In my opinion, only a mountain bike works for mountain biking. A hybrid will work only in the mildest conditions (like fire roads). A road bike works best for road riding (long distances or fast pace). I have seen a few hybrids on century rides, but they aren' very common.

If you'e riding for comfort and fun, maybe a hybrid is right for you. But remember it will never be fast (if thats your thing). And it won’t be great for long distances.

When it comes to price, "reasonable" to one person is pretty expensive to another. I suggest you find a helpful local bike shop. Ask lots of questions and try out a few bikes. Do research online and get an idea of what you can expect to spend and what features you want.

Good luck and have fun!:D

spazzdog
08-31-2004, 09:54 AM
If $$ is the deterrant, check out the classified ads. When you go looking at used bikes, just make sure you know the frame size you need and something about the components that may or may not be present.

If you have a bike knowledgable buddy, take him/her with you. Sometimes you can walk into a great used bike because the seller has upgraded.

Local sports papers (here we have MetroSports) ads and sometimes bike shops have bulletin boards... whoo, bad sentance, but you get my drift.

fasteryet
08-31-2004, 06:47 PM
Like Adv. Girl said, it really does depend on what kind if riding you plan to do. But also remember, you're entitiled to change your mind and style. So if you choose a road bike, and find out it's not your thing, don't make yourself miserable, but find something else to ride. If you like the wild side, try a mountian bike. There are lots of old railroad beds, canal towpaths, and unpaved roads where I live, so when I got back into biking, I chose a hybrid. After less than a year, I realized that I liked going fast, so I got a road bike. I ride that most of the time, but still ride the other once or twice a month. It's great for long slow rides, when I go out with friends to socialize (ride, eat,ride, drink, ride, eat, ride, drink, etc.)
As for clothing, bike shorts do make a difference. You don't have to get everything at once, but if you do a lot of riding, you'll appreciate having the right gear.

emily_in_nc
09-01-2004, 09:12 AM
And please, please, please buy at least one piece of bike gear and use it religiously...

...a HELMET.

-Emily

P.S. A rear-view mirror is very helpful too. I wouldn't ride without mine!