PDA

View Full Version : Bus/Bike vs. Car for $$$

KnottedYet
06-16-2007, 02:59 PM
My new job gives free bus passes. The busses have racks on the front for bikes, so you can multi-mode commute.

Previously I was going thru 1 tank of gas a week driving to work most days.

Using the pass, I've gone two weeks and not used up 1/4 tank yet.

Pretty cool....

lyca
06-16-2007, 04:13 PM
That's AWESOME!

7rider
06-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Boy, the more I hear about this job, the better it gets.
That's great.

Python
06-17-2007, 02:20 PM
It's amazing how much you can save by using a bike (or bus/bike with a free pass).

If I use my car to commute to work it costs about £30 a week ($60) just on fuel alone. If I take a taxi to and from work £65 ($130):eek: Just taking the bus would be £12.50 ($25). Using the bike £0:D

surgtech1956
06-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Sounds like a really great job with fantastic fringe benefits. More money for fun & bike clothes, etc.. or maybe a new bike.:D :D

KnottedYet
06-17-2007, 06:16 PM
I've bought 3 new bikes and 1 used bike in the last year. I can't be buying any more!

Now it's time for Ortlieb classic roll-top panniers, and a pannier/backpack converter, and another Brooks B67 saddle, and a few cases of Clif Bloks, and some more wool (mmmm, Surly wool jersey!), and some bright bike lights, and.... :D

But maybe I should pay my Visa off first? Naw....

surgtech1956
06-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Sounds like a great 'wish list'. :)

Melalvai
06-18-2007, 04:37 AM
I've bought 3 new bikes and 1 used bike in the last year. I can't be buying any more!

Now it's time for Ortlieb classic roll-top panniers, and a pannier/backpack converter, and another Brooks B67 saddle, and a few cases of Clif Bloks, and some more wool (mmmm, Surly wool jersey!), and some bright bike lights, and.... :D

But maybe I should pay my Visa off first? Naw....

I haven't bought any new bikes lately, but I've been working through my wishlist, which is similar (rack trunk/panniers, lights) and have just come to the same conclusion: no more until the credit card is out of my life!!

maillotpois
06-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Wow - that is excellent. And think what you are doing for the environment as well as your wallet!!!

quint41
06-18-2007, 11:27 AM
:cool:

So cool. I take the bus daily, but we don't have bike racks here in Hartford. I wish we did!! I could bus one way and bike the other, or bike in and take the bus home if it rained later. How cool would THAT be?!

surgtech1956
06-18-2007, 11:39 AM
You gals are so lucky that you have the option of taking a bus to work. :cool: :cool: :cool:

onimity
06-19-2007, 02:09 PM
very cool. I'm seriously jealous of the bus pass. I'm working on lobbying for the same at my company but it is slow going so far. Still, the bus to work is reasonably cheap (when I use it anymore). I haven't filled up my gas tank since March? February? I forget.

Anne

crumpincommuter
06-20-2007, 10:08 AM
:cool:

So cool. I take the bus daily, but we don't have bike racks here in Hartford. I wish we did!! I could bus one way and bike the other, or bike in and take the bus home if it rained later. How cool would THAT be?!

Hey Quint:

Not sure what bus line you take or if it's typically filled to capacity; but CT Transit locals do allow bikes on the bus, but conditionally. Up until a few weeks ago, CT Transit website posted a notice to that effect; it was really handy to have available to print off and to hand to a "reluctant" driver.

Personally I take advantage of the convenience on rainy afternoons or if a morning meeting cuts in a.m. commute shower time. The key is to stand your ground with the driver and if necessary; insist they call dispatch to confirm the allowance of bikes on the bus.

If you don't take CT Transit then join the local voices in speaking up for Hartford (links for advocacy available on www.wecyclect.org ; note all the "Gold Coast" buses have had racks for years and if I not mistaken our state tax $ all go to the same place).

Also From CCBA ( www.wecyclect.org) website...

Bikes permitted on CT Transit Buses: New policy at CT Transit in Hartford, bikes may be carried onto CT Transit buses, if a wheelchair tie down is available and if the bus is not full. If the bus fills or someone needs the tie down after the bike boards, the bike and rider will be asked to get off. Some progress, and thanks to the bike advocate who pushed for this policy (we do not know who, if you can claim credit, let us know.) Racks on buses coming soon, we hope.

Help Pass the Word!!!!!

KnottedYet
06-20-2007, 08:37 PM
All King County Metro and Snohomish County Community Transit busses have bike racks on the front. Most are 2 bike racks, but after some bike riding multi-mode commuters complained about full bike racks, the Metro started adding THREE bike racks.

They are very simple to use, and if any of your advocates want to research the racks they could probably find a lot of resources thru the Cascade Bicycle Club www.cascade.org or King County Metro http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bike/bike.html or Snohomish County Community Transit www.communitytransit.org

xeney
06-21-2007, 08:47 AM
You know what is depressing, though? This equation doesn't work out for me. When I was riding my bike to the grocery store, I always wound up starving and thirsty (even if I brought water with me) and bought a water and a Luna bar along with my groceries ... which cost me more than the gas to drive there would have. Even when I drive to work, my commute is so short that I only have to fill my gas tank every couple of months. When I am riding to work there is always some little thing that the bike needs, or that I justify buying because I'm riding to work. (Let's not discuss the number of messenger bags I own.) Walking should be free, but I spend less on gas than I've spent on good walking shoes that I justified because, you know, my feet are my commute vehicle. I am the Imelda Marcos of sensible walking shoes.

My car is paid for and under warranty, so the only maintenance costs I pay for are oil changes and tire rotations, and I need those very rarely because I drive less than 3,000 miles a year. Even if I walk and bike enough to drop that down to 1,500-2,000 miles a year, it is cheaper for me to drive most places than it winds up being to walk or bike. And the bus is always the most expensive option except on those rare occasions when I have to pay for parking (and then I am usually with my husband, so you double the bus fare and suddenly parking is a bargain).

I think it is just too cheap to drive.

IFjane
06-21-2007, 09:13 AM
You know what is depressing, though? This equation doesn't work out for me. When I was riding my bike to the grocery store, I always wound up starving and thirsty (even if I brought water with me) and bought a water and a Luna bar along with my groceries ... which cost me more than the gas to drive there would have. Even when I drive to work, my commute is so short that I only have to fill my gas tank every couple of months. When I am riding to work there is always some little thing that the bike needs, or that I justify buying because I'm riding to work. (Let's not discuss the number of messenger bags I own.) Walking should be free, but I spend less on gas than I've spent on good walking shoes that I justified because, you know, my feet are my commute vehicle. I am the Imelda Marcos of sensible walking shoes.

My car is paid for and under warranty, so the only maintenance costs I pay for are oil changes and tire rotations, and I need those very rarely because I drive less than 3,000 miles a year. Even if I walk and bike enough to drop that down to 1,500-2,000 miles a year, it is cheaper for me to drive most places than it winds up being to walk or bike. And the bus is always the most expensive option except on those rare occasions when I have to pay for parking (and then I am usually with my husband, so you double the bus fare and suddenly parking is a bargain).

Yes but what benefit is it to your health/fitness to sit in the car and ride?

onimity
06-21-2007, 09:46 AM

I hear you. I haven't driven my car in a couple of months but mine is paid for, cheap to insure rarely repaired (at 12 years old) and gets great gas mileage. I haven't driven it since mid-March but it definitely costs me more (out of pocket) to commute by bus and bike. I've spent enough on commuting necessities to pay for my yearly gas. But that's the out of pocket cost, and that's the out of pocket cost for a *comfortable* commute, one that I am lucky to be able to provide myself with; you can do it on a shoestring too, of course. Tap water and some pretzels will get you home too... But my main point would be that we don't always take into account often enough is the cost of our car-driving behavior.

I like to look at the cost in energy rather than dollars. 1 gallon of gas is roughly 31,000 calories. That's a tremendous expenditure for a single day's commute. Thirty times the cost, in fact, of my commute by bike. When you add to that the cost (in energy, in dollars, and in quality of life) of building and maintaining the infrastructure for cars the cost becomes astronomically higher.

I agree that it is too cheap to drive. Far too cheap. We don't see the impact of our choices because we consume enormous amounts of energy at ridiculously low prices even at $4 a gallon (or whatever it is :D). I would love to see the price of driving reflect the cost of driving, personally.

My two cents.

Anne

Torrilin
06-21-2007, 12:33 PM
One of the first things I added to my bike (after the initial bare minimum utility stuff) was a water bottle cage. $8 for the cage. Each of my three water bottles is a 50 cent bottle of Trader Joe's water. I refill them and reuse them. Even on a 6 mile ride, I may go through 1.5L of water, so I often have to refill while I'm out. The grocery store I use has a water fountain across the street, and a public restroom where you can refill water bottles. Most of the local parks have water fountains too. It's reasonable to be thirsty in when exercising or in hot weather. Both at once will have a major effect.

I'm ok with spending money on a snack when I'm out riding. But I do have a budget for snacks and treats, so I don't want to blow it. I'm trying to get into the habit of making myself a sandwich or burrito to take with, so I don't end up caught short while I'm out. One memorable time when I tried to push through "hungry" I ended up toppling off the bike in slow motion.

Most of the rest of staying in budget is prioritizing. I want to be able to haul things like dining room chairs, wood for an end table, and donations for the local thrift shop. That means I need either a bike rack or a cargo trailer (haven't quite decided which is best). And well, a trailer is Not Cheap. Nor is a good bike rack. Most of my other wants will cost less, but they don't do as much either.

Melalvai
06-21-2007, 01:36 PM
That means I need either a bike rack or a cargo trailer (haven't quite decided which is best). And well, a trailer is Not Cheap. Nor is a good bike rack.
Have you thought of a used trailer? Trailers are either for hauling kids or for hauling stuff, but they are basically the same thing whatever the original design. There are a LOT of used trailers for hauling kids, because the kids grow up.

I got a $20 trailer off of craigslist and I use it to get groceries. It is not in great condition but it serves the job. I'll take my niece in it on the trail when she comes to visit.

Torrilin
06-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Scanning Craigslist pretty much every day for one :). Around here they seem to go for around half off retail, which is still kind of hefty.

KnottedYet
06-29-2007, 05:30 AM
The month is almost up, and my gas gauge just fell below 1/2 yesterday. On the same tank I bought at the beginning of the month!

Crazy!

And I really didn't think I was driving my car all that much before!

SKnot figures I saved about $140 this month.

Trek420
06-29-2007, 05:56 AM
The month is almost up, and my gas gauge just fell below 1/2 yesterday. On the same tank I bought at the beginning of the month!

Crazy!

And I really didn't think I was driving my car all that much before!

SKnot figures I saved about $140 this month.

Hey, that's more than enough for the Brooks!

KnottedYet
06-29-2007, 06:08 AM
And close to enough for a pair of waterproof Ortleib back roller panniers! (in yellow and black)

And today is payday!

And I have to go to the LBS tomorrow anyway, so....

missymaya
06-29-2007, 08:05 AM
when I was commuting for my old job I would save about $20-$40 a month on gas, so I took that money and put it towards my bike fund. I finally saved enough $$ to purchase my new bike, woohoo for commuting. But, my new job doesn't have a shower and I'm currently not enrolled in summer classes and me spending over $160 a month for a gym membership here on campus for only 2 1/2 months is pointless (plus the cost of locker rental); it would cost more to commute than to drive, so I see where commuting can be an issue.

b.moe
06-29-2007, 09:52 AM
A day's pass (as I don't get a free one) is 3.50 (USD) in Cleveland, and that adds up for five days a week. It's possible to ride downtown from the suburbs in about an hour and a half without taking a bus, but if anyone rides or lives in the Northeastern Ohio area (commuters?), Cleveland winters are pretty unpredictable and the roads are terrible, which makes even riding to the bus stop a super pain. Also, there's no transport in the downtown area except the bus (no underground). Weighing it out, the other three seasons of the year might save me some money and there are many other benefits.

I started trying to take my bike all over town and leaving my car behind - I've saved about 20 bucks in gas this past two weeks, and I have an economy-style hatchback so that's about a full tank - BUT, I've gotten two flats and had to do some other maintenance. I'm still trying to figure out what locations are best for the bike or maybe better for the car. However, I don't have a rack and panniers, so that makes a difference too when trying to bring a days worth of things along with me.

Geonz
07-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I certainly haven't saved much money by selling my car, at least not yet. However, there's more to life than saving money.

Laterider21958
07-04-2007, 10:11 PM
exeny you need a larger drink bottle and a big snack before the shopping trip! You are still saving the environment by riding rather than driving and your health is being boosted by the exercise. :D

surgtech1956
07-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I really need to do something about commuting to work - even though its 18 miles one way. It costs me $6.00 a day(x 5 days a week) in gas. :eek:

KnottedYet
07-13-2007, 11:57 PM
When I leave in the morning I travel toward the bus stop on a street with a view of the snowy Olympic mountains in one direction and a veiw of the not-quite-so-snowy Cascade mountains in the other.

My time at the bus stop is spent basking in the early morning sunlight.

Once we're on the road, the bus gets several amazing views of Mt. Rainier, rising impossibly high above the foothills. Eventually we swoop down in toward Seattle, and I can see the skyscrapers and the Space Needle off in the distance.

The bus goes on the I-5 bridge over Lake Union, and I can watch boat traffic as we fly overhead. Usually there are a few rowers and crew teams out, a kayak or two, maybe a sailboat. Today there was a seaplane taking off.

From the I-5 bridge we can see at least 3 other bridges. Two of them are draw-bridges with castle-like towers.

When we cross the water and reach Seattle "proper" I can look to the west over the south of Lake Union and the Space Needle, or to the east down nifty little residential streets that I just ache to explore by bike.

We do some tunnel stuff, then emerge into downtown Seattle, where all the east-west streets end in Elliott Bay. I can see the ocean! Cruise ships, ferries, white caps, cargo ships, tugs and barges, glinting sunlight on flat water. My heart just soars.

The bus's first stop is at the jail. These skunky dudes have some of the most expensive views in Washington. Does having a window on the Puget Sound, or Mt. Rainier, or the Cascades, or Seattle make you rehab better? Or does the beauty fall on deaf ears (as it were)?

We cruise on up Seattle's "First Hill," aka "Pill Hill" where there are many hospitals, clinics, cancer research groups, etc. One of my favorite stops has a great view of the salt water, and as we pull away we pass a house that was probably grand and stately 100 years ago, but is kinda run down now. The property it is on is undoubtedly worth MUCH more than the building. I almost wonder why the owners haven't sold yet. There is a handpainted sign in the bedraggled front yard, advertising parking for $10 a day "ring door bell." Their front yard is always full of cars. Do they make enough off parking to offset the millions they could make by selling the place?

The bus winds around First Hill, past some lovely old Victorians and ornate brick apartment buildings and modern concrete apartment buildings. I get off near one of the major hospitals, and walk a few blocks to work. Every morning is a dance around collapsed street people, locked up bikes, intent medical interns, lackadaisical lower eschelon medical staff, gay couples out walking their dogs, and everywhere always bikes bikes and more bikes to admire.

I stay on the south side of the street to avoid the Rite Aid pharmacy. In the morning the corner it sits on is well populated by patrons of the methadone clinic a block away. Only once have I seen it clear; there were three police cars at the bank next door and the Rite Aid corner was miraculously empty. All the methadone patrons had adjourned to the block down from my clinic. This morning there were a couple fights going on at the Rite Aid, and one man was so out of it he was trying to cross the street against the light as the folks not engaged in the fights shouted and screamed at him to "get back". Impending disaster while surrounded by medical professionals.

The last block or two to work are blessedly quiet and zen-like with the smell of jasmine and huge old trees, bamboo rustling in the breeze, and amazingly enough the sound of birds. How odd for the center of a big city!

Not too bad for a daily commute.