PDA

View Full Version : Feels like uterus cramping

ladyicon
06-15-2007, 04:08 PM
I have had this problem for a while now.....when riding on a hot day during the first 8 miles of the ride, after a hard hill climb, I get this awful cramping in my lower tummy. It feels as though my uterus is cramping. If I do not stop it just gets worse. I don't this every time I ride, it seems just on hot days. To relieve it, I stop and do a power shot gel and drink some water, then I get on and try to ride through the pain. It usually goes away, but then I feel wiped out. Is this a hydration issue or what. I have talked to my dr. about it and she just looks at me funny. Thanks for any help. Diane

KnottedYet
06-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Ummm, does it feel like passion cramps? Maybe something about the heat and bike and effort are giving you passion cramps?

The only other thing I can think of is that somehow your suspensory ligaments are getting irritated.

Zen
06-15-2007, 07:36 PM
I've never heard of passion cramps but if I ever had any I sure haven't had any lately.

The uterus can have muscular contractions, I would compare it to any other muscle with an imbalance of electrolytes causing cramping/contractions.

Only on a hill climb? It may be related to the muscles you're using at that time, i.e. you position on the bike.
My vote goes to the usual suspects, hydration and electrolytes. If you can find a flavor you like try mixing a 50%solution of gatorade instead of just water for those hot days.

Your doctor looks at you funny because 1)the insurance company allots her ten minutes with you and she doesn't really have time to think it through, and
2)she's probably not a cyclist.

RoadRaven
06-15-2007, 09:40 PM
I get this sometimes after hill reps, or a strenuous hilly ride (like todays race)

I put it down to muscle use... sometimes it is uncomfortable to painful to have sex for a few days after... but it goes. I think its just the muscles saying
"Hey!!! you worked us hard today!!!"

ladyicon
06-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all your input ladies. I rode some big hills today and didn't cramp, maybe because I thought I felt one coming on and did a power shot. I hope this solves it. BTW What are passion cramps???????:confused:

RoadRaven
06-16-2007, 05:28 PM
yeah... what are "passion cramps"????

Dianyla
06-17-2007, 12:17 AM
The uterus can have muscular contractions, I would compare it to any other muscle with an imbalance of electrolytes causing cramping/contractions.

Only on a hill climb? It may be related to the muscles you're using at that time, i.e. you position on the bike.
My vote goes to the usual suspects, hydration and electrolytes. If you can find a flavor you like try mixing a 50%solution of gatorade instead of just water for those hot days.
Seconding this theory. Electrolyte deficiencies can definitely cause or worsen uterine cramps. That's why taking calcium during your period can ease cramping.

The fact that this mainly happens to you when it's hot seems to fit this theory. If you had these cramps no matter the temperature, I would be more inclined to think it is a physical irritation problem (too much jostling, too much strain on the abdominals, etc).

Brandi
06-17-2007, 07:47 AM
yea what are passion cramps? I think I know what they are. Correct me if I am wrong here. Sometimes after having sex it can feel like I am having period cramps. Is that it?

KnottedYet
06-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Yup. You can also get them if you "ain't gettin' any" when you really need some.

ladyicon
06-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks again for all the input. I will try drinking electrolytes before the ride too. I didn't know about the calcium thing, I have some supplements and will definately try that too. On the passion cramp thing....that's one I will have to mull over :rolleyes: I will try all the cures and let you all know if it works. Thanks :)

Miranda
07-04-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm a newbie to this board and cycling, but unfortunately to lady problems I am not. I'm only in my 30s but have had a couple pelvic support repair surgeries for prolapse--babies were just hard on my body and the docs say I have the tissue of an 80 year old...geez, thx boys!...but because of that I am to avoid any impactive exercise and lifting. The doc said I can ride a bike--thankfully I re-found since a kid and love it--but even with road cycling being generally non-impactive vs running, the resistance work can give me the same pain feeling--because your somewhat stressing your lower body like lifting and to me it sounds like the hills might be causing some extra stress of all the interconnected muscles to the pelvic region. Which when it relates to support, can cause uteriene contractions (aka your cramps), heaviness sensation, pain, fatigue. Pelvic prolapse can be a normal thing with aging, and things like babies, and just genetics for me aid in it. I would tell the gyno about it and a pelvic exam, though not happy, can check for prolapse (an exp gyno in this area will also examine you standing bearing down like child birth, lieing down does not always show the same thing, and hey this is part of what you are doing on your bike on the hill climbs!). Also, btw, the "love pains/cramps" whatever they were termed, I would say are refering to uterine contractions that sometimes follow intercourse/orgasim in the normal sexual response system--some women notice them, some do not. Sorry if the "straight up" talk offends anyone, but my background is in healthcare, and after having my own womanhood worked on so many times, I found it's best to tell it like it is, even though it may be a bit ackward to openly discuss things otherwise deemed private. Hope it improves for you!

PscyclePath
07-13-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks again for all the input. I will try drinking electrolytes before the ride too. I didn't know about the calcium thing, I have some supplements and will definately try that too. On the passion cramp thing....that's one I will have to mull over :rolleyes: I will try all the cures and let you all know if it works. Thanks :)

Diane:

A trick that works with most types of muscle cramps on a ride is to take two Tums (or your favorite brand of anti-acid tablets containing a goodly amount of calcium) when you feel a cramp coming on. "Calcium supplements" are what the sports medicine books will usually recommend, but most of the little convenience stores (hopefully) along your ride route should carry Tums, Rolaids, or a similar product. As a side benefit, it can also help with the indigestion that you sometimes get when you eat on a hard ride.

I can't speak for the "lady problems," but it does work for regular muscle cramps.

Tums is an "emergency fix" for when you get caught out on the road; the best preventative, though, is to stay well-hydrated with a sports drink like Gatorade, etc. that contains electrolytes.

Tom